new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demc570

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I finally got the ok to buy a new chain saw in a couple days,now the problem i struggle with......i have ms361 20 inch bar,which i use for everything and it does great.I need a backup saw, Now iam not sure which would be the best option 50 CC OR 70 PLUS CC.

A=50 CC SAW=sthil ms271 around $450,or husky 346xp $460 with extra chain

B=70 PLUS CC SAW=sthil 440,441,460,461,660=$850 TO $1250.

TREES I CUT FOR FIRE WOOD USUALLY ARE LESS THAN 30" AND MAJORITY 20" OR SO...10 TO 15 CORDS YEAR....THANKS IN ADVANCE

NOTE-I REALLY LIKE MY UNCLES MS270,WHICH IS NOW MS271

Last edited:
If it was me I would jump at least 20 ccs one way or the other. Seeing as though you have a 59 cc saw now I would look at a 650 or 660 with a 25 or 28" bar. I only ever had a 270 and now a 260 is for my father so he doesn't try and wield his old 038 when he helps cut.
When I got my 460 my 310 and 038 always sat cause they were too close in size and weight so the 460 was the go too saw. That doesn't happen so much for me now with a 660 and a 460 with a bigger gap in displacement.

I think you'll find you'll wish you had a really bigger saw or a really lighter saw instead of just a back up.

But then again this is AS get both ;-)

Best of luck

Your going to need three saws before your done. Either that, sell the 361 and get a 50 AND 70cc saw. Thats the age old problem with a "tweener" 60cc class saw. Or its the justification we instill into ourselves so we can buy more saws. Buying a 16" and 25" bar and chain helps some but it doesnt give you the backup you desire.

thanks i like my 361,yes i wish i had bought 70cc and 50cc,but i keeping 361,it really does everything i need,thats why thinking smaller sae 50cc or so,love to have big cc,but not sure its that practical...............but keep the comments coming please....:msp_smile:

yes i always wanted a 660,that would be a good gap between the 361,but i afraid that i would only think to use 660 on big stuff,then it would sit,or i not sure......

If you're mostly cutting wood up to 20" a 660 is too much saw. I would look at a 372xp before they're gone.

I agree my 460 probably has run two or three times the number of tanks that my 660 has but I do most of my felling with it and it always seems to go to the woods with me.

The other plus for me was the really big stuff that you find on clist or thru folks that nobody wants to tackle you can handle with ease. I get lots of free wood cause some guy said they would take all the wood from a tree job and then realize their little wild thing ain't gonna cut thru that 36" tree and just ditch the trunk. That kind wood is easy pickings if you got a splitter.

I agree with kenjax's post if 20" trees are all you'll ever cut a 660 might be too much for ya.

Wow, a new saw. really?

You getting a new saw?
I'd say it all depends on how much weight you want to toss around. The 372xp weighs in at 14.1. The 365x-torq is the same saw for a good bit less. Still can get them for under $600. If you feel like toting the weight, these will annihilate the size wood you're cutting. I just picked up a 365x-torq. Very nice saw for the money spent. Good deals out there.
For 20" and under, I'd stay with a 50-55cc saw in the 12-12.5lb. range. I love my old 51. Not the fastest, but it sure do last.

Is that new as in "NEW" or new as in "new to me"? There's a couple 075's, a Dolmar 9010, and a Husky 3120XP needing repairs up on CL over this way. :msp_wink:

You getting a new saw?
I'd say it all depends on how much weight you want to toss around. The 372xp weighs in at 14.1. The 365x-torq is the same saw for a good bit less. Still can get them for under $600. If you feel like toting the weight, these will annihilate the size wood you're cutting. I just picked up a 365x-torq. Very nice saw for the money spent. Good deals out there.
For 20" and under, I'd stay with a 50-55cc saw in the 12-12.5lb. range. I love my old 51. Not the fastest, but it sure do last.

Very good words right there, i cut firewood for my household only, we burn a little thru out the summer when camping, my youngest son still at home uses a little in the summer also for fishing trips with his buds or an all nighter with a girlfriend out at the lake. Burning all that i can, i havnt even started my biggest saw in over two complete seasons. Its as brand new as a 372XPW can be new. I just dont cut 30" and bigger trees for firewood. Even if i did, 60-65cc's is more than plenty. To the OP, if you need a backup saw, check the lighter and smaller offerings. It might make better sense overall, unless your just collecting saws!

If the 361 does everything you need, and you want a new saw, get yourself a 441CM-Tronic if you can. The 361 will become your back up. A 660 is overkill for your application unless you're dealing with 30"+ rounds most the time. Sell the 361, get a 441, and a 290.

to me it sounds like the 361 does everything you need, plus you like it. Get the 346, have one of the builders on here work it up, you will only get the 361 out every once in a while. the 346 is an absolute beast, and it's pretty light.

Best of luck,
Matt

to me it sounds like the 361 does everything you need, plus you like it. Get the 346, have one of the builders on here work it up, you will only get the 361 out every once in a while. the 346 is an absolute beast, and it's pretty light.

Best of luck,
Matt

Yup. 11.2 lbs., would be good for the wood you cut.

Best of luck,
Matt

Since he has a 361, id steer him in the direction of a 260, 261 just for bar and chain compatibility as a nice free feature. No doubt the 346 is a nice saw though, but he done screwed himself by going the stihl route already:msp_scared:

You already have a 361 which you like, so 261 set up with 3/8 bar,chain and rim sprocket would be perfect. I had a 361 for 4 years,great saw. I mostly run my 261 now and have a 441 for back up . I've ran the 261 for a year now and they're a great very low maintenance saw with lots of pop and it works everyday. Very few days I need anything bigger.

Latest posts

Back