new saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzard

Reaction score
I have two saws. Some sort of craftsman and a paulan 220 or something like that if memory serves me here. I'm sure they were cheap. Both are maybe 10 years old. Might have 5 cords on each. Both have 16" bars.

I recently built a house on 10 wooded acres and started cutting the trees that had been pushed over to clear for the house as well as some already downed trees( there are alot)into firewood. My buddy and I cut and split 10 cords of it last two weeks and we just sold most of it.

I'm pretty new to all this and this is the first real use these saws have had. The craftsman saw seemed to do o.k. But the paulan 220? seemed to vibrate my hands pretty bad. It doesnt wanna idle either.

At any rate that brings me here. I was looking over what needs cut yet and it has to be 40 or more cords. Plus whatever the future brings(i'll burn too).

Are these saws adequate or would I be doing myself a favor spending 500 dollars on a good saw? And what would that saw be? :).

The 16" bars were long enough for almost everything I did. It is mostly sassafras, black cherry, black locust and unknown. The locust I skipped to see what becomes of the saw advice here. That was like cutting a rock.

So I'd like to hear some saw recommendations for the amount and size cutting I intend to do. Figure minimum 5 cords a year if I dont keep up the pace. Thanks

I'll be first and recommend a Stihl MS-361. Spend the money and get a good saw, and you won't be disappointed.

Also make sure to consider that by making money from selling firewood makes it much easier to justify buying a new saw. 5 cords a year even (I'm assuming full cords, correct?) is a good amount of wood and you will be much further ahead spending the money on a good saw that will last for many years than to have to buy a new cheapy one every couple.

Thanks for the quick responses. Yes,these are full cords. I just looked that saw up. Is this in the neigborhood of 5 hundred bucks? Stihl has it listed as a professional saw. i also see they list 2 models with upgrades. One with a secondary brake and the other has a tool-less chain adjuster. Thoughts on these?

A husqvarna 357xp would be another great option, with an 18" B&C....or maybe even a 359 for a few less bucks...

I'd just go with the basic model. The secondary chain brake might be nice, but the toolless chain adjuster isn't really necessary. Price at the dealer around here was $589 w/ a 16" bar.

Latest posts

Back