New saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerWagon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Been a lurker for a while, mostly checking out porting threads...

Recently bought a place that is heated with a Central boiler classic OWB, so it was time to step it up from my old clapped out Jonsered 2040, 20" bar and some port work.

Friend gave me a husky 445 which was better than the 2040 but still not enough.

Found a 670 Champ on craigslist, did some research around here and decided to jump on it. Hell of a saw for $150. I do need chain brake parts for it if anyone has some. Did a clean up and muffler mod. Really runs great.

And lastly a coworker gave me a blown 034 Stihl. Cleaned up the aluminum transfer on the cylinder and threw it together, tuned and it runs great. Ordered a huztl 036 kit for it.

Soon enough I'll be digging into the 670, looking at the 272 top end and some porting.

Saw fever?

Attachments

• IMAG0956.jpg
    IMAG0956.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 81
  • IMAG0970.jpg
    IMAG0970.jpg
    811.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMAG0971.jpg
    IMAG0971.jpg
    848.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMAG0973.jpg
    IMAG0973.jpg
    696.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMAG0982_1.jpg
    IMAG0982_1.jpg
    796.4 KB · Views: 80
Are crank seals a common leak area on these 034 stihls?

Seems like I still have a bit of a lean condition. Going to tear into it again.

Stuck the farmertech 036 P&C on the 034. Did a mild port cleanup, deburring, and widening. Seems to run strong.

I put a Farmertec top 272 top end on my 61, So far so good, I did a LOT of port work to it and it's probably got about 5-10 tanks of gas through it..

Careful about the seals from Farmertec though.. I was lucky on said saw that the buggered seal didn't take the top end out with it.. I can't be certain I didn't munch it when I installed it, but I was careful. I took the oiler off and discovered the seal was rather demolished... I always keep an ear on the tune, so that may have saved it by compensating for any leak.

Welcome to AS :)

I put a Farmertec top 272 top end on my 61, So far so good, I did a LOT of port work to it and it's probably got about 5-10 tanks of gas through it..

Careful about the seals from Farmertec though.. I was lucky on said saw that the buggered seal didn't take the top end out with it.. I can't be certain I didn't munch it when I installed it, but I was careful. I took the oiler off and discovered the seal was rather demolished... I always keep an ear on the tune, so that may have saved it by compensating for any leak.

Welcome to AS :)

Was the 272 kit needing a lot of port work?

The 036 kit wasn't too bad. I had to bevel the ports a bit. The intake port was actually much larger than the mahle cylinders. I'm sure there is a lot more to be had, I didn't go crazy with it.

Good advice on the seals. I need to do a leakdown before I run it more.

Before the new top end it ran pretty irratic. Some idle surge, and occasionally would rev out way to high in the cut. Kept richening it up. Kind of odd that it was inconsistent.

I would check the seals... they're an old saw, probably stiff and useless..

My Farmertec cylinder wasn't bad, for a stock saw I could have definitely run it as-is, but my goal was an extreme saw to begin with. I got a kit that came with the case gaskets, seals, fuel line, P&C, as well as bearings. I reused old Husky bearings, not that I found anything wrong with the ones in the kit, but I figured they probably have lots (more?) life left than new chinese ones.

It runs OK now

She fired off with some mix down the cylinder.

Have access to cases of that old Jonsereds 2 stroke oil. Looks cool.

Found this homelite pump too.

Attachments

• IMAG1032.jpg
    IMAG1032.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • IMAG1031.jpg
    IMAG1031.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • IMAG1033.jpg
    IMAG1033.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
Just found a Echo 702EVL.

Runs strong but the clutch let go.

Paid $30. Couldn't resist.

Can anyone point me in a good direction for a clutch, or shoes and drum?

Also, what bar will I need? I'd like to run a 24"

Attachments

• IMAG0136.jpg
    IMAG0136.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0137.jpg
    IMAG0137.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 10
Thank you. I took a look on chainsawr but must have skipped over the clutch they had in stock. Hopefully this saw will be cutting in no time.

If anyone has a d176 24" let me know, used is fine.

I'd really like an arbor pro

Found a 670 Champ on craigslist, did some research around here and decided to jump on it. Hell of a saw for $150. I do need chain brake parts for it if anyone has some. Did a clean up and muffler mod. Really runs great.

The good news is you have the newer style CB. What parts are you needing?

I think that some? most? of the parts will be the same as the ones for the Jonsered 625 (& 630?) and the Husqvarna 266 & 268. The entire CC is now NLA, but at one time, maybe still available, Bailey's offered an aftermarket one for the 266/268. It required some modification to fit the 670.

EDIT:

"...
Have access to cases of that old Jonsereds 2 stroke oil.
..."

How old is this oil? Are you planning to run it? I would not run "old" 2 cycle oil; it makes no sense to risk an engine with oil that might be breaking down.

If I remember right it's missing all the internal pieces for the cb.

Good info on interchangeable parts.

I don't run it in my saws but I do dump it in the fuel tank of my old 12v Cummins.

Did a few repairs to the echo. Anti vibe mounts were coming apart. For the uppers, I drilled though the bracket and the bushing and secured them with some machine screws. Coated threads and nut with RTV.

One of the lower mounts had lost the metal bracket, so I made one out of angle iron and glued it in place, well see how it holds up.

Opened up the muffler a bit also. Ditched the inner baffle and cut out part of the baffle on the cover

Attachments

• IMAG0142.jpg
    IMAG0142.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0143.jpg
    IMAG0143.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0139.jpg
    IMAG0139.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMAG0140.jpg
    IMAG0140.jpg