New saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xmaniac

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just curious how many of you are happy, impressed or other with the new non adjustable saws??? I've personally had nothing but trouble with them, holes in piston tops after 3 weeks of usage. And I run legit mix... The computers low/high settings are set so lean to pass regulations that it's causing them to blow up faster... and since we the consumers can't purchase the software to tune them properly, dealer's aren't warranting them, saying we ran bad mix... I've got saws that are ported, decked, adjustable carbs that are still in service after 9 year's in production tree work!!!! They run cooler, more efficient, last way longer and faster when opened up a little bit. Factory castings are horrible.

Got 4 years on a 261, muffler mod, gasket delete runs great. About a month on a 400 with same mods, no problems yet. I use the Stihl synthetic oil but may change that due to carbon buildup.
You stated it all: muffler mod, gasket delete.... saws run better, faster, more efficient and last longer with less problems when they're allowed to breathe.... I do recommend sea foam fuel additive and 40:1 mix with highest octane fuel available in your area....

Just curious how many of you are happy, impressed or other with the new non adjustable saws??? I've personally had nothing but trouble with them, holes in piston tops after 3 weeks of usage. And I run legit mix... The computers low/high settings are set so lean to pass regulations that it's causing them to blow up faster... and since we the consumers can't purchase the software to tune them properly, dealer's aren't warranting them, saying we ran bad mix... I've got saws that are ported, decked, adjustable carbs that are still in service after 9 year's in production tree work!!!! They run cooler, more efficient, last way longer and faster when opened up a little bit. Factory castings are horrible.
I've had two. A 562xpg and now a MS400C. I would never go back to a adjustable carbed saw for my use.

You stated it all: muffler mod, gasket delete.... saws run better, faster, more efficient and last longer with less problems when they're allowed to breathe.... I do recommend sea foam fuel additive and 40:1 mix with highest octane fuel available in your area....
Seafoam is pure snake oil.

2018 372xp xtorq, decked, mild exhaust porting, unlimited coil, just added the cpi pipe tonight. Needs a little carb adjustment still... I'll take some video footage tomorrow cutting up oak rounds... you can't do this with the newer computerized, non adjustable saws...

I have no idea what it actually is, but I suspect you're correct.
Sea foam fuel additive is an extra measure of protection and a fuel stabilizer... it's for all types of fuel, machinery... lubricates, protects injectors and carburetor parts, etc. I've not had one single saw blow up in over 10 years by adding a few ounces of this to my true 40:1 mix....

Sea foam fuel additive is an extra measure of protection and a fuel stabilizer... it's for all types of fuel, machinery... lubricates, protects injectors and carburetor parts, etc. I've not had one single saw blow up in over 10 years by adding a few ounces of this to my true 40:1 mix....
I've never used it and never had a saw blow up..
The stuff is snake oil and all those claims are BS. As I posted previously ita isopropyl alcohol and light oil...no magic.

25% isopropyl alcohol and 75% pale oil. Whatever the hell that is.
I actually have ran it and them used a bore scope to check results. It never did much except make the motor smoke more.
I ran some through an old pickup truck when it was all the rage for eliminating spark knock. All it did was waste 7 dollars and smoke up the neighborhood for 10 minutes.

I've never used it and never had a saw blow up..
The stuff is snake oil and all those claims are BS. As I posted previously ita isopropyl alcohol and light oil...no magic.
It's more of a carb cleaner than anything else. I'd never consider it a fuel additive. My understanding it that its a mix of Naphtha, Acetone, and diesel fuel. I've used it on small engines to do light cleaning of the carburetor with good results, but that's about the full extent of my use of it. I see no reason to ever use it on a 2 stroke.

It's more of a carb cleaner than anything else. I'd never consider it a fuel additive. My understanding it that its a mix of Naphtha, Acetone, and diesel fuel. I've used it on small engines to do light cleaning of the carburetor with good results, but that's about the full extent of my use of it. I see no reason to ever use it on a 2 stroke.
No, not really.
I listed the ingredients above.
Nothing you pour in the tank will clean a dirty carb. At least I have never seen it.

I've personally had nothing but trouble with them, holes in piston tops after 3 weeks of usage. And I run legit mix...

Do holes in piston tops qualify as a "blow up"?

One other thing. Tree work doesn't out alot of hours on a saw and isn't that hard on them.

Latest posts

Back