New saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xmaniac

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just curious how many of you are happy, impressed or other with the new non adjustable saws??? I've personally had nothing but trouble with them, holes in piston tops after 3 weeks of usage. And I run legit mix... The computers low/high settings are set so lean to pass regulations that it's causing them to blow up faster... and since we the consumers can't purchase the software to tune them properly, dealer's aren't warranting them, saying we ran bad mix... I've got saws that are ported, decked, adjustable carbs that are still in service after 9 year's in production tree work!!!! They run cooler, more efficient, last way longer and faster when opened up a little bit. Factory castings are horrible.

Hasn't been the case for me...I've own and/or run quite a few autotune/m-tronic saws with little issues. 550xp, 261, 201tcm, 400, and 462R...I also have 500i for what it's worth.

I disagree about the fuel settings as well. I've had most of those saws apart for porting/machine work, so I've been able to analyze the pistons...if anything, the M-tronic Stihls are a little on the rich side. My mk1 550 looks the leanest out of all of them...even then, the carbon deposits look just about right and not overly lean.

I do have a couple of Stihl saws with their M-Tronic, and a 550XP that’s has Husqvarna’s auto-tune, all have performed without problems, BUT... I’ll take an adjustable carb any day of the week, and most of my saws have traditional carbs. My big saws are all fully adjustable carbs, and they’re all tuned a bit rich, just the way I like em to be. Some things are just better in this world without all the high tech bull $h!t

I had 2 new ms201's literally blow a hole through the piston top after 3 weeks....dealer wouldn't warranty them..... found some aftermarket adjustable carbs, replaced piston, rings and cylinder, did some porting, canceled out computer and they haul ass, no problems now.... it'd be interesting to see a detailed emissions analysis on ported pre computerized vs stock computerized saws... also efficiency and longevity...

anyone can buy the stihl mtronic tester and have access to software for it, husqvarna version is password protected though.
you can find emissions info on epa website since they started measuring small offroad equipment i think in 90's? however it is difficult to navigate as it relates to "engine family" not always model number

Haven't had any issues till recently on a well used 562xp. No complaints, original carb on a 2012 model saw. The ms400cm that replaced it is a real ripper. No issues so far, and I don't expect to have any either. Both autotune and mtronic are good proven tech. Most of the issues they had were sorted out long ago.

I had some issues with my 400c and my 500i. In june or thereabouts I could feel above normal heat coming from both saws. I usually cut in very cool weather, for my own benefit and allows me to sense the saw running hotter then normal. After being worried that something was wrong, both saws settled down, and are now perfect. I suppose there might have been some breakin issues, but all that is behind me and mine.

These are tools and are to be treated as such. If you press on with symptoms evident, figuring that it should not happen, even though it is, then beware you might damage your saws. Myself, I don't have 100s of extra $s to throw at a problem, nor does venting on a website help. Sense, respond, and fix the problem, else....

I had some issues with my 400c and my 500i. In june or thereabouts I could feel above normal heat coming from both saws. I usually cut in very cool weather, for my own benefit and allows me to sense the saw running hotter then normal. After being worried that something was wrong, both saws settled down, and are now perfect. I suppose there might have been some breakin issues, but all the is behind me and mine.

These are tools and are to be treated as such. If you press on with symptoms evident, figuring that it should not happen, even though it is, then beware you might damage your saws. Myself, I don't have 100s of extra $s to throw at a problem, nor does venting on a website help. Sense, respond, and fix the problem, else....
We're they stock, and did you do the relearn procedure often?

We're they stock, and did you do the relearn procedure often?

Saws are stock. I did relearn on the 400c, the 500i I only changed the chain, which seemed to work, as I also changed how I use it, more out of the cut revving and letting the saw cool between especially big cuts.

I had some issues with my 400c and my 500i. In june or thereabouts I could feel above normal heat coming from both saws. I usually cut in very cool weather, for my own benefit and allows me to sense the saw running hotter then normal. After being worried that something was wrong, both saws settled down, and are now perfect. I suppose there might have been some breakin issues, but all that is behind me and mine.

Well here in California we must be getting lemons... or California models... like car's.... I've been porting, modifying saws for over 10 years. A certified arborist for 25+. My fellow arborist friend knows everything about every saw, model, year. Which one's suck and don't...also has a patent on 3120xp with wiseco piston that was timbersports fastest.... he does nitrous and methanol builds... if you're happy getting out of your saws that need to learn or reboot, good for you and great for the manufacturers...for us it's not venting, it's criticism supported by experience and findings to achieve a better more reliable user friendly product....

I don't have problems with the M-tronic saws, I literally built an MS441 out of a crushed heap , did a factory reset and it runs great.
I am computarded so just doing the 90sec reset was super helpful.
I think if your area got a bunch of stinkers it would probably show up ,especially on forums, like the first generation of 550xp did. With thousands of the 201s sold the probability of them being out of tune to blow a hole in the piston and it being the manufacturers setting would be very small. User error is very likely, but as stated if your fuel is contaminated your not at fault for that.
Blowing holes in the top of pistons is not something I have heard about do to with tuning? Scoring the cylinder would have occurred long before that.

201 mtronics are one of the few saws i see issues with-run way better than non mtronic version did from 10 years ago
first gen 661, 362, ya maybe, but 201 and the hated 441 were improved with mtronic

Well here in California we must be getting lemons... or California models... like car's.... I've been porting, modifying saws for over 10 years. A certified arborist for 25+. My fellow arborist friend knows everything about every saw, model, year. Which one's suck and don't...also has a patent on 3120xp with wiseco piston that was timbersports fastest.... he does nitrous and methanol builds... if you're happy getting out of your saws that need to learn or reboot, good for you and great for the manufacturers...for us it's not venting, it's criticism supported by experience and findings to achieve a better more reliable user friendly product....

Your expertise is duly recorded. Yet...

not all can be taken prima facie, especially on this site.

I had 2 new ms201's literally blow a hole through the piston top after 3 weeks....dealer wouldn't warranty them..... found some aftermarket adjustable carbs, replaced piston, rings and cylinder, did some porting, canceled out computer and they haul ass, no problems now.... it'd be interesting to see a detailed emissions analysis on ported pre computerized vs stock computerized saws... also efficiency and longevity...
Buy a couple of DIY Farmertec ms200t kits, you will need to get used to it and solve the problems that will certainly occur - but you will be able to solve them yourself.

I don't have problems with the M-tronic saws, I literally built an MS441 out of a crushed heap , did a factory reset and it runs great.
I am computarded so just doing the 90sec reset was super helpful.
I think if your area got a bunch of stinkers it would probably show up ,especially on forums, like the first generation of 550xp did. With thousands of the 201s sold the probability of them being out of tune to blow a hole in the piston and it being the manufacturers setting would be very small. User error is very likely, but as stated if your fuel is contaminated your not at fault for that.
Blowing holes in the top of pistons is not something I have heard about do to with tuning? Scoring the cylinder would have occurred long before that.
I'm not the only one who experienced this problem with the new 201's... my buddy who's a professional hot saw builder, engineer had 2 that lasted only 3 weeks. He runs the best mix available.... ultimately he found some aftermarket adjustable carbs and integrated them into his 201's. Also canceled out the computer, installed meteor cylinder kits and did some porting... no more problems, the saws cut faster than my modified ms200t....

I'm not the only one who experienced this problem with the new 201's... my buddy who's a professional hot saw builder, engineer had 2 that lasted only 3 weeks. He runs the best mix available.... ultimately he found some aftermarket adjustable carbs and integrated them into his 201's. Also canceled out the computer, installed meteor cylinder kits and did some porting... no more problems, the saws cut faster than my modified ms200t....
Who's your buddy?, hot saw builders are fairly well known around competition cutting.
Defeating the M-tronic system is a PITA with all the parts required to convert it over to screwdriver adjustment. Ask him what ignition module he's using?

Latest posts

Back