New saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do holes in piston tops qualify as a "blow up"?
It qualifies that there was a factory flaw in the castings or computer mixture. It happened in 2 201's in 3 weeks of usage... and this came from my buddy that builds saws professionally for timbersports competitor's... he does methanol, nitro builds... maybe they were just a couple fluke lemons...

You must be lucky then and just do fine pruning. Because at a full production type company that mostly does large removals,,, our saws get beat the F!ck down. I'm constantly repairing broken saws weekly.... broken not blown up... we've got a bunch of Neanderthal primates working here....

It qualifies that there was a factory flaw in the castings or computer mixture. It happened in 2 201's in 3 weeks of usage... and this came from my buddy that builds saws professionally for timbersports competitor's... he does methanol, nitro builds... maybe they were just a couple fluke lemons...
Let's see pics.

I'll ask him if he still has the fried piston heads laying around....literally burnt a hole in tops, dead center. And no unusual scoring on side's, ring's were fine...

Sounds like someone improvised a piston stop so they could remove the flywheel or the clutch. A bit of a stretch to blame Stihl and their M-Tronic ignition system.

Sounds like someone improvised a piston stop so they could remove the flywheel or the clutch. A bit of a stretch to blame Stihl and their M-Tronic ignition system.
These were stock 201's... from the dealer in CA. Nothing was modified until after the fact that they only lasted about 3 weeks... He builds hot saws, so obviously runs the best mix possible...

Latest posts

Back