New SpeedPro Kinetic Log Splitter from TSC...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super Spit and Big Logs?

So, how well would Super Split and you by yourself handle this log in the center, even if you could somehow get it to the platform?
GingkoLog1.jpg

Vertical hydraulic splitters have their place.

Last edited:
Do, how well would Super Split and you by yourself handle this log in the center, even if you could somehow get it to the platform?

How did you get it on your truck? :D

Actually I cut and load the truck in woods, then dump the rounds in the wood lot. I noodle or split the big ones so I can lift them into the truck. So lifting onto the splitter is no problem. Also the SS table is the same height as my tailgate, so I can roll round off the truck and onto the SS, but rarely do that.

But you are right, hydros do have their place and are a useful tool. It's just that I no longer want one.
:cheers:

Oh, and the SS would be able to handle that big one fine...

Last edited:
Do, how well would Super Split and you by yourself handle this log in the center, even if you could somehow get it to the platform?
GingkoLog1.jpg

Yes, hydros have their place. For me that place is waiting until I get enough oversized rounds for me to hook up my 30+ yr old hydro to a dozer (for hydraulic power) and quarter rounds. Then the quarters will go in the "ready to split" pile. Then I will split them into fwood with the speedpro kinetic. I've split plenty of fwood with a friends vert/horiz. splitter. Not much will stop it that is for sure. But after using a kinetic splitter, the hydros just seem like slow motion. I don't mean to knock any hydro splitter at all, I've been splitting that way for well over 30 years. But after splitting with the speedpro kinetic splitter, I can't go back. If speeco doesn't fix this thing, I will. As of now, I don't have the option to upgrade to an SS.

Hey Wood Doctor,
Very nice sideboards on that pickup of yours! Those look really good!! Now I know what to build for my truck. I've always thought of sideboards to be removed when not in use, just for looks(or lack of). Not those, you need to show them baby's off!! Assuming you built them yourself...Nice job!

GingkoLog1.jpg

what kind of log is that? looks like cottonwood?

I posted this a few months ago but here it is. a 26" hickory that I hoisted up with the backhoe. The speedpro got through in 2 shots. It's not the size of wood thats the problem, its the size of the halves that fall to the ground that you have to pick up again. they're a PITA to process.

Last edited:
GingkoLog1.jpg

My speedpro would have split that a few days ago. It's at tractor supply now, but the rack teeth are still here.

I have a SS on order, I'm pretty sure it would split it. I'd probably noodle first though, that thing looks heavier than me.

Ram Stopped completely

Have you hit anything that completely and suddenly stopped the forward progress of the rack head/ram, rather than just slowing said progress down? If so, and the engine didn't stall, did the belts slip? If not, perhaps there is something about the DR drive train that needs investigating to learn what they are doing differently from Speeco.

The rack/ram head is stuck in the forward position. The engine rpm's will decrease with the engine sounding like it is under strain. But it doesn't stall. Do the Belt slip? I don't believe so, I haven't had the side covers off while working. There is no squealing of belts. It takes 15 seconds or so
to clear the jam....I hit the on/off switch if it is any longer. I have had to do that twice with a knotty 14 inch Y Ash. Could be just a better clutch on the DR. I know their "Drive Train Pinion Gear" Is quite substantial and hardened twice if one believes the advertising. The Shaft one time and after the notches are cut, they are a 2d time. I would be more than happy, when I get engaged in splitting again, to try and jam the thing up with the covers off to see what is happening at that point. When I do, perhaps I can even catch it on Android Phone and up load it. We will see.

The rack/ram head is stuck in the forward position. The engine rpm's will decrease with the engine sounding like it is under strain. But it doesn't stall. Do the Belt slip? I don't believe so, I haven't had the side covers off while working. There is no squealing of belts. It takes 15 seconds or so
to clear the jam....I hit the on/off switch if it is any longer. I have had to do that twice with a knotty 14 inch Y Ash. Could be just a better clutch on the DR. I know their "Drive Train Pinion Gear" Is quite substantial and hardened twice if one believes the advertising. The Shaft one time and after the notches are cut, they are a 2d time. I would be more than happy, when I get engaged in splitting again, to try and jam the thing up with the covers off to see what is happening at that point. When I do, perhaps I can even catch it on Android Phone and up load it. We will see.

I'm confused...It takes you 15 seconds to clear a jam??? If the ram stalls on a piece of wood, shouldn't you just hit backwards on your engagement handle to disengage the rack???

Rack update

I had a very nice conversation with the SpeeCo representative, Ron Golon. He said that the improved rack was complete and they were waiting on the arrival of this item. He also added that their engineers have made other retro-fit improvements that SpeedPro owners will be pleased with also.

I questioned him on whether there was any truth to the comment made on this thread about the SpeedPro kinetic splitter being abandoned... his reply was "absolutely false".

Bottom-line is that SpeeCo has not washed their hands of this problem. They are not happy with what has happened to the SpeedPro rack issue anymore than the owners that are having rack issues are unhappy. SpeeCo is working on a solution to remedy this problem.

I wish all companies were as customer driven as Speeco.

I had a very nice conversation with the SpeeCo representative, Ron Golon. He said that the improved rack was complete and they were waiting on the arrival of this item. He also added that their engineers have made other retro-fit improvements that SpeedPro owners will be pleased with also.

I questioned him on whether there was any truth to the comment made on this thread about the SpeedPro kinetic splitter being abandoned... his reply was "absolutely false".

Bottom-line is that SpeeCo has not washed their hands of this problem. They are not happy with what has happened to the SpeedPro rack issue anymore than the owners that are having rack issues are unhappy. SpeeCo is working on a solution to remedy this problem.

Glad to hear that they've made progress on the rack issue. I meant to call them today to talk about my brass wear plate failure but ran out of time.

thanks for the update.

I wonder why, when I went to TSC with a broken rack, I was given my money back with no option for repair work? A refund was what I was hoping for, but if the rack was complete like you were told I would think they would try to fix my splitter rather than just give me a refund.

I hope this is true for the sake of all of you that plan on keeping your splitter. I am done with mine, I'm not gambling $1800 to try to save $1000.

Racks ARE complete... They are just on a slow boat from China. I am waiting on a rack and update kit myself. And no I don't wish to hear any comments on "Buy American" , As posted earlier I thought I was but have to deal with it now.

While it is an impressive pic, I am most certain you could noodle a round that big to a reasonable size in less time that it took you to roll it, rig it, and hoist it. Just saying...:popcorn:
we normally roll it to our vertical splitter and quarter it down, then final process on the speedpro. less back breaking that way. i don't noodle, more of a steak and potatoes kind of guy.

I Split it Vertical

What kind of log is that? Looks like cottonwood?

I posted this a few months ago but here it is. a 26" hickory that I hoisted up with the backhoe. The speedpro got through in 2 shots. It's not the size of wood thats the problem, its the size of the halves that fall to the ground that you have to pick up again. they're a PITA to process.
No, this big round was not cottonwood. You hoisted your log to the splitter's beam with a backhoe? I simply set my hydraulic splitter in its vertical position and split this monster by going around the outside a few times and then took it straight down the center. I processed and stacked 50 split logs from this round without a backhoe. My all-time record from one round is 55 split logs of decent size.

Shucks, I couldn't find a backhoe anywhere. Is that is optional equipment for a Speed Pro or a Super Split? Maybe it should be.

No, this big round was not cottonwood. You hoisted your log to the splitter's beam with a backhoe? I simply set my hydraulic splitter in its vertical position and split this monster by going around the outside a few times and then took it straight down the center. I processed and stacked 50 split logs from this round without a backhoe. My all-time record from one round is 55 split logs of decent size.

Shucks, I couldn't find a backhoe anywhere. Is that is optional equipment for a Speed Pro or a Super Split? Maybe it should be.

you know. i'm really tired of you pissants coming in here hating on the speedpros. you come in here trying to provoke something; and someone who actually owns and uses a speedpro will post something to counter your point. and you go off on a tangent about using a machine to load a log on a machine? like that negates my point? I have a vertical splitter too, whoopity frigging dooo. would you like a cookie now?

. You hoisted your log to the splitter's beam with a backhoe? I simply set my hydraulic splitter in its vertical position and split this monster by going around the outside a few times and then took it straight down the center.

Some of us are still curious how you got that log onto your Ranger. And why the same tools wouldn't let you get it up on a horizontal splitter.

(I would've noodled that sucker before even considering anything else nowdays.)

you know. i'm really tired of you pissants coming in here hating on the speedpros. you come in here trying to provoke something; and someone who actually owns and uses a speedpro will post something to counter your point. and you go off on a tangent about using a machine to load a log on a machine? like that negates my point? I have a vertical splitter too, whoopity frigging dooo. would you like a cookie now?
I respectfully disagree. SpeeCo screwed up. There is no getting around that fact and the frustration and inconvenience many 'early adopters' have endured as a result. Please don't automatically right off as a "hater" those who challenge ideas , without at least taking a good look at what there may be to learn from their perspectives. Personally, if I couldn't mill the bigger wood and there was more than just a sprinkling of it, I'd rather 1/4 on a vert hydraulic than noodle if possible. It's horse for courses. I don't see the merit in manhandling monsters back and forward on a kinetic but practically wet myself at the 'production' prospects of a kinetic splitter for the right sized wood.

Thanks. Did they say when these things will be back in-store? It will be really interesting what changes have been made. To the product, price, warranty. $1k difference is, in our near banana republic currency, about $1300. Not to be sneezed at.

Answers???

Has anyone got an answer from SpeeCo as to whether or not the rack on the SpeedPro is designed to disengage automatically after striking a hard-to-split piece of wood? So far I have not got a reply back from them. Just wondering...

Latest posts

Back