New SpeedPro Kinetic Log Splitter from TSC...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need fast now!

Hey guys does anybody have an update this week on when they will be selling the splitters again? :help:

Now that I need a fast machine on a budget they are not selling them :( Looks like most of the trouble is in the rack. I'm not so sure it is a problem with the metallurgy and hardness as it may be more of a problem with full tooth engagement. Everybody knows a gear tooth intended to do a heavy job is seriously stressed when only half or less of the tooth is engaged.

Did anybody here compare the engagement of the rack and pinion from one machine to another?
A quick look at the wear marks on the drive teeth would tell a story I'm sure. I hear some say that the bent lever seems to have played a huge roll on when the machine will disengage on it's own. That tells me some people are getting a better bite on the rack when the teeth are engaged to the pinion shaft gear.

If people could post some pics of what their gear wear patterns are I suspect you may find some big difference on tooth depth engagement to the rack.

NA, That's exactly what I posted on page 20 of this thread concerning the gear breakage. Most likely it is improperly tempered gears, but as I discovered on my homebuilt splitter. full engagement of the teeth is critical. When I built the engagement cam on mine, I made the roller too small & wasn't getting full gear meshing. When I broke 4 or 5 teeth off my pinion gear after a couple of months , I replaced it & started checking for possible causes. Had way too much clearance, so I made the roller bigger & now have .015 clearance when the gears are fully engaged. No problems since.

Doubtful given the timing.

I saw the ad too.

(Putting on my I used to work at a newspaper hat)

Those are pre-printed and shipped to newspapers, mailers, etc well in advance.

ESPECIALLY for the Thanksgiving where you're going to see Sunday like number of inserts into the newspapers for both Thanksgiving Day so the hens can plan their Black Friday shopping sprees and then again on Sunday when you'll have another larger-then-usual number of inserts.

So the printing companies have to print these weeks in advance to deal with the double volume.

Once in a while we'd have a set of flyers to insert that were ruined in shipping or the company otherwise had to pull and replace them and there wasn't enough time for one of the specialty flyer printing companies to do it. We were completely capable of printing them -- and charged a very nice premium for the service $:D$

The timing was such I would've expected the TS flyer to have been finalized before the stop sale order. And they're not going to redo the flyer unless they had some ridiculous mistake in them that their lawyers said, "Holy ####, stop the presses!"

DO NOT GET the speedpro

I had one it is over $1800.00 and it is no good. thay are recalling them. Got it 10/24/11, gear was the firt than to go. thay replased it 11/5/11. this one the brass under the ram came of 11/21/11. I have a DR on order.

Just buy the one from Howard,Ohio .Built very well.Any body that lives close to Green Springs,ohio I would love to show any one!

Pete

speed pro log splitter

As a seasoned log splitter, I have had the opportunity to go from a typical splitter, to a firewood processor, now to a kinetic splitter. Kinetic splitters may be the best invention since the tree itself. Way worth the money and a great invention. However, do not buy a speed pro like I did. Spend the extra few dollars and buy a super split or even better the DR Rapid fire. I have purchased the speed pro to save a few dollars and have had nothing but difficulties. They made haste and the product is complete waste. Attempting to beat the curve, since the patent expired, they threw a product out with little testing. Used very low carbon steel on parts that really mattered. I nearly lost my hand when a part broke after only 4 hours of use. When i contacted the company they admitted to having "problems" and will mail me another part. Not worth even 500.00. Sad since they also make Huskee brand and they have always worked great. Please do not buy, and if you have had difficulties, please post. Very dangerous...they need to stop sales now and recall all that was sold.

James Rich, MPH
845-389-1402
[email protected]

Does anyone have details on the unit made in Howard, OH? I had the SpeedPro and returned it to TSC after I broke 2 units in 3 weeks of use. I'll be ordering something new after Xmas...leaning towards the DR right now.

I agree that the SpeedPro was a waste. It worked great for the short periods it wasn't broke, but just wasn't designed correctly. The first break was ripping 6 teeth off the rack and the next was a bent rod so the rack wouldn't engage. I gave up on it after that. Who knows what part will break next on that thing.

Last edited:
Just buy the one from Howard,Ohio .Built very well.Any body that lives close to Green Springs,ohio I would love to show any one!

Pete
Thay are not built well at all. We only got 8 cord in 3 week ,it stay brokin. Thay cud be fixed, but I fill it is on good at this time. We have a DR rapid fire on order will be hear in 3 weeks. I thank the supper splitter is a good one to.

Billsfirewood said"Thay are not built well at all. We only got 8 cord in 3 week ,it stay brokin. Thay cud be fixed, but I fill it is on good at this time. We have a DR rapid fire on order will be hear in 3 weeks. I thank the supper splitter is a good one to. "

What went wrong with the the splitter from Howard,Ohio?Pics please. Yes ,they are very well built!!

Flack hill Machine LTD
7799 Flack Road
Howard,Ohio 43028
740-427-2723(this is a community phone ask for Melvin Yoder and or leave a message)

Update

My machine is running great! I hate hearing that some of the SpeedPro kinetics are giving problems.

I have talked to SpeeCo's customer service and they are fully aware of the heat treat issues. A new order of racks are in the line to be run and once they are state-side everyone will receive a new and improved rack. These guys are pro-active and plan on making everyone satisfied.

Tom

My machine is running great! I hate hearing that some of the SpeedPro kinetics are giving problems.

I have talked to SpeeCo's customer service and they are fully aware of the heat treat issues. A new order of racks are in the line to be run and once they are state-side everyone will receive a new and improved rack. These guys are pro-active and plan on making everyone satisfied.

Tom
Tom I do hope it will fix that problum, but thar others. I got the two from Ashboro nc . Call me at 919 942 5738 Bill Long.

here's a thought, would it be possible to re-heat treat my rack in the time being to try to prevent the problem?

I split a cord or so with mine today and checked the rack, mine is starting to show signs of wear now (2 cords ago there were no signs of damage). so I'm being a bit more careful what I put into the splitter. Last thing I want to is to blow the rack and not have a replacement available, we have way too much wood to process at the moment and going back to our 20T hydro is NOT an option.

Billsfirewood said"Thay are not built well at all. We only got 8 cord in 3 week ,it stay brokin. Thay cud be fixed, but I fill it is on good at this time. We have a DR rapid fire on order will be hear in 3 weeks. I thank the supper splitter is a good one to. "

What went wrong with the the splitter from Howard,Ohio?Pics please. Yes ,they are very well built!!

Flack hill Machine LTD
7799 Flack Road
Howard,Ohio 43028
740-427-2723(this is a community phone ask for Melvin Yoder and or leave a message)
Hi Melvin your #, I tryd it. Call me Bill Long 919 942 5738. Will go in to what all went wrong. I do hope thay cane fix it , but i do not thank thay can with the way it is set up now.

Well I bought a new wood Earth brand wood boiler this fall and decided I needed a splitter. TSC is about a mile away and knew I wanted a kinetic. Bought the SpeedPro and put it to work. Plus side is this thing flies. Will split anything I can lift even knots and forks. Very impressed. Split about an hour and decided the saftey had to go. Pulled the sides and pulled the saftey completely out. Left the engagement as is because I felt more comfortable being behind the splitter. Commenced to splitting and after about half hour the engagement rod bent. Tore it about and straightened it. Hour later it bent again. Tore it out and straightened it again. I was bending under the safety block. This time I welded a 3/8 rod to it to beef it up. Ran about two cords through it and it bent again above the saftey block. This thing is so impressive in action that I was determined to make it work. I completely tore out the engagement rod and refitted it with a 1/2 rod that was substantially heavier than the factory rod. Have ran about 8-10 cords through it so far and no bent rod. I have been splitting everything I can get ahold of. If I can keep this thing going I see my tree business expanding into firewood sales soon. Could not aford a processor and Hydraulics are way to slow. (time is money) I feel this was a very good effort by SpeedCo but they have so bugs to work out. I still feel that I have saved alot going this route. If the firewood demand supports it I would definately buy a SuperSplit over a speed pro but just starting the firewood I did not want to sink a whole bunch of money into it. Let me know if ya' got any questions.

Bill -- if you bought yours at Tractor Supply, they're built in China for Speeco; they're not built by Melvin Yoder in Howard, OH. Did you buy yours at Tractor Supply?

Bill your just going to have to keep calling to you get somebody to leave a message with or Melvin answers it.(This is not melvin)

Pete

Bill,
The guy in howard lives next door to me. You can call me at 740-358-2077. Tommarow is opening day of deer gun season up here and I know his shop is closed til wensday. Call me thursday and I will try to get you intouch with him.

Ray

Sorry for your woes.

First off, I am so sorry for those who are having the issues they are with this machine.
None of us wish ill will to fellow "wood workers". I know some need to split for a living
and this is not fun. I also know there are many without the slightly deeper pockets needed
for a RapidFire or a SuperSplit. I don't know how to answer that issue. I just feel bad for ya.
Now:
25 cords.....splitting for late seaon and next year..home heating only. 25 cords not a hic-cup.
This was done Sunday after Bill/jets 1/2 time. Worked until dark. Maybe 3+ cords.
Second pic is a big knot I went through. Had to hit it three times. Thats like 8 seconds.
View attachment 208935
View attachment 208935

I hope those who are having issues get satisfactory results.

Yes tractor supply

Bill -- if you bought yours at Tractor Supply, they're built in China for Speeco; they're not built by Melvin Yoder in Howard, OH. Did you buy yours at Tractor Supply?[/Q Yes from Tractor Supply. Do not know wot Melvin Yoder is built, it may be as good as the DR Rapid Fire .

Latest posts

Back