New SpeedPro Kinetic Log Splitter from TSC...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great observations. Horses for courses. Production, without handling the wood so much sounds like a great way to go if within the means (financial/time/skills) of splitter buyers/makers.

I've been lurking on this thread since it started, mainly because of an untested new machine being introduced. I almost was one of the intial owners also, I have an aunt that works at a local TSC and the temptation was almost unbearable to own a kinetic splitter. My hat's off to everyone on here that has stuck it out so far and for all of the R&D that has gone on in poeple's back yards.

I've seen where several people said that they couldn't go back to hydraulic splitters because of the slow speed. I'd like to offer some thoughts on that if I may and I'm not bashing anyone or kinetic splitters by any means. I'm sure that most have seen the promotional video by DR comparing the RapidFire to a hydraulic splitter. I've never seen a hydraulic splitter that was that slow unless it was at idle. I have demo'd a couple
different kinetic splitters, even the speedpro, and thought that there was still an awful lot of maual labor involved with having to drag the round back to be split over again if it was too big for just one split. Most of what I split is almost always too big for just one split

I built my hydraulic splitter for less than what the SpeedPro costs by scrounging parts and what I couldn't scrounge, I bought as I could afford, one piece at a time. Mine has a 5" X 30" cylinder with a 2" rod, 22 gpm, 2 stage pump and an autocycle valve. Yes, splitting a round only one

time, the kinetic splitters will walk all over it for speed but when a round needs multiple splits, I think that a hydraulic splitter with a multiwedge will give it a run for its money. I have a 4 and a 6 way wedge for mine. I got bored the other day and done some theoretical calculations. I cut my rounds 18" long whenever possible. I figured that once a round was placed on the splitter and the valve handles were pulled, the cylinder will advance 12" to the round at 22 gpm for a time of 2.8 seconds. Then if the pump kicks into low flow / high pressure at that moment, which

never happens, it pushes the round onto the wedges a ways first, then the cylinder will advance another 18" pushing the round across the wedges at 7 gpm for a time of 4.17 seconds, then the autocycle valve retracts the cylinder for a time of 5.8 seconds. That's a total time of 12.8

seconds. If the 4 way wedge is on there, then that's 3.2 seconds per split piece. If the 6 way wedge is on there, then that's 2.1 seconds per split piece. All of that with only having to handle the round one time.

Even at this rate, it'll work two people to death and still is waiting on you a lot of the

time. It would be even faster with a shorter cylinder but I got what I could find at the time. I'm still

giving some serious thought to getting one of the SpeedPro's once the bugs are all worked out if for nothing else but for splitting the small wood that the cookstove takes.

Again, no bashing or bad mouthing anyone or their splitters. Just an obsevation that might have been ovelooked by some.
you in trouble I just said I was glad I read up on those splitter that I was not going to buy one do to the problems they were having with them. They jump me big time. Even with that it help me make my plan not to buy one now. As you say my four and 6 way make a differents on those 3 and 4 ft chunks I get. I might later on get one of the electric to replace my electric 20 hydro that's in my shop now my 20 and 30 three point does the big stuff. The stuff I split in side is what I can pickup. It might be to fast for me to hold to take the bark off. I am going to have to see it in operation. I took the 16 gpm and drop down to a 11 gpm becaus it was to fast for my hand to hold the chunk for my bark remover. Don't know I'll see in the futures. I just keep reading and look in here. Later just got a order to run to New Albany Ind with my Hot Shot truck this day shot. I was planning on replaceing my liner in my kiln burner. I think I got to much going on. Later

Last edited:
I've been lurking on this thread since it started, mainly because of an untested new machine being introduced. I almost was one of the intial owners also, I have an aunt that works at a local TSC and the temptation was almost unbearable to own a kinetic splitter. My hat's off to everyone on here that has stuck it out so far and for all of the R&D that has gone on in poeple's back yards.

I've seen where several people said that they couldn't go back to hydraulic splitters because of the slow speed. I'd like to offer some thoughts on that if I may and I'm not bashing anyone or kinetic splitters by any means. I'm sure that most have seen the promotional video by DR comparing the RapidFire to a hydraulic splitter. I've never seen a hydraulic splitter that was that slow unless it was at idle. I have demo'd a couple different kinetic splitters, even the speedpro, and thought that there was still an awful lot of maual labor involved with having to drag the round back to be split over again if it was too big for just one split. Most of what I split is almost always too big for just one split.

I built my hydraulic splitter for less than what the SpeedPro costs by scrounging parts and what I couldn't scrounge, I bought as I could afford, one piece at a time. Mine has a 5" X 30" cylinder with a 2" rod, 22 gpm, 2 stage pump and an autocycle valve. Yes, splitting a round only one time, the kinetic splitters will walk all over it for speed but when a round needs multiple splits, I think that a hydraulic splitter with a multiwedge will give it a run for its money. I have a 4 and a 6 way wedge for mine. I got bored the other day and done some theoretical calculations. I cut my rounds 18" long whenever possible. I figured that once a round was placed on the splitter and the valve handles were pulled, the cylinder will advance 12" to the round at 22 gpm for a time of 2.8 seconds. Then if the pump kicks into low flow / high pressure at that moment, which never happens, it pushes the round onto the wedges a ways first, then the cylinder will advance another 18" pushing the round across the wedges at 7 gpm for a time of 4.17 seconds, then the autocycle valve retracts the cylinder for a time of 5.8 seconds. That's a total time of 12.8 seconds. If the 4 way wedge is on there, then that's 3.2 seconds per split piece. If the 6 way wedge is on there, then that's 2.1 seconds per split piece. All of that with only having to handle the round one time.

Even at this rate, it'll work two people to death and still is waiting on you a lot of the time. It would be even faster with a shorter cylinder but I got what I could find at the time. I'm still giving some serious thought to getting one of the SpeedPro's once the bugs are all worked out if for nothing else but for splitting the small wood that the cookstove takes.

Again, no bashing or bad mouthing anyone or their splitters. Just an obsevation that might have been ovelooked by some.

My concern with the multi-way wedges is all the odd sized pieces you end up with. From what I have seen (videos of multi-way wedges in action), because all logs are not a perfect nor consistent diameter, there sure seems to be a lot of slivers and odd size pieces. Is that the case?

Headed to the SpeedPro hospital

The repair shop called this AM and said that the parts arrived. Their busy season is starting up so the lady recommended that I bring the SpeedPro in ASAP for the switch-out.

Fingers crossed?

Tom

Parts Photos

I always travel with a camera so I seized the moment and opened the box that contained the replacement parts for the SpeedPro. The rack was very impressive. It has an oxide finish and is surprisingly well machined.

The cam linkage along with the engagement rod and bearings all were first class looking. When I think of Chinese I sometimes equate shotty craftsmanship with equipment made overseas. I can't say this about the parts I was photographing.

The shop guy was puzzled by my photo shoot and had to ask why I was going out of the way to make those pictures. I went onto explain the hours that I had spent studying the issues we have had with this machine and that seemed to satisfy him... I made my sells pitch as to why kinetic splitters are so much faster. I told him I would bring some wood over to test/demo when I returned to pickup the SpeedPro.

He knew zero about kinetic splitters and after a short-course on how they worked I hit the road. He said he'd have it repaired by the end of the week.

Thanks,

Tom

View attachment 228554View attachment 228555View attachment 228556View attachment 228557View attachment 228558

I always travel with a camera so I seized the moment and opened the box that contained the replacement parts for the SpeedPro. The rack was very impressive. It has an oxide finish and is surprisingly well machined.

The cam linkage along with the engagement rod and bearings all were first class looking. When I think of Chinese I sometimes equate shotty craftsmanship with equipment made overseas. I can't say this about the parts I was photographing.

The shop guy was puzzled by my photo shoot and had to ask why I was going out of the way to make those pictures. I went onto explain the hours that I had spent studying the issues we have had with this machine and that seemed to satisfy him... I made my sells pitch as to why kinetic splitters are so much faster. I told him I would bring some wood over to test/demo when I returned to pickup the SpeedPro.

He knew zero about kinetic splitters and after a short-course on how they worked I hit the road. He said he'd have it repaired by the end of the week.

Thanks,

Tom

View attachment 228554View attachment 228555View attachment 228556View attachment 228557View attachment 228558

I stopped by my local TSC on the way home to see when the units might be available. ( They had two units that they pulled in November) The sales kid in the store said that they had been repaired and that they were for sale. Price is the same as the Sales brochure. Offered an extended warranty 3 or 4 years for $100+ and $200+ (didn't remember the exact figure so it could have been $200- and$300- any way in that range.) The standard warranty was 1 year for the unit and longer for the engine.
He asked if I had seen them in action and that he really didn't know anything about them. He knows a lot more now than he did before I got there.
I could see the new rack, it does look good.
Couldn't see any of the other parts without taking it apart. The Sales Kid didn't know of anything else that had been replaced other than the rack.
I am going back with my tow vehicle tomorrow and pick one up. Usually I don't go in for warranty's figuring that if I have enough faith in the unit it will last, but in this case I am thinking that $100 to $200 for a 3 year warranty might be a good idea. Any thoughts?

Smart

I usually skip warranties too. This machine might sway me to buy a warranty though:hmm3grin2orange:

Russ, all kidding aside, you will be very happy with your purchase. If I am able to go back and buy the warranty I very well may. IIRC TSC had a 30 day max time period to purchase the warranty and I have far exceeded that period.

Last edited:
Nice Pics

Thanks TFPace, that gives me confirmation of what I thought was going on.

I haven't heard from my local repair shop yet. I'll call them tomorrow. No biggy, the weather's so nice that I don't have time to get it up there anyways.

Thanks,

Tom

Definately "looks" better than the original...time will tell I guess. I certainly hope this fixes things for the sake of all those involved. Thanks for sharing!

I stopped by my local TSC on the way home to see when the units might be available. ( They had two units that they pulled in November) The sales kid in the store said that they had been repaired and that they were for sale. Price is the same as the Sales brochure. Offered an extended warranty 3 or 4 years for $100+ and $200+ (didn't remember the exact figure so it could have been $200- and$300- any way in that range.) The standard warranty was 1 year for the unit and longer for the engine.
He asked if I had seen them in action and that he really didn't know anything about them. He knows a lot more now than he did before I got there.
I could see the new rack, it does look good.
Couldn't see any of the other parts without taking it apart. The Sales Kid didn't know of anything else that had been replaced other than the rack.
I am going back with my tow vehicle tomorrow and pick one up. Usually I don't go in for warranty's figuring that if I have enough faith in the unit it will last, but in this case I am thinking that $100 to $200 for a 3 year warranty might be a good idea. Any thoughts?

Keep in mind that the extended warranty is exactly that...it merely extends the 1 year warranty to two or three years total. So in effect, you're paying $99 (?) for one additional year or $199 (?) for two additional years. At least that's the way it was when I bought my SpeedPro back in October of 2011. I'm like others on this forum...I never buy extended warranties, but I felt inclined to with a new product that hadn't proven itself yet. I think I made the right choice when I purchased the warranty.

Last edited:
Two speedpros were out front and for sale at my local TSC. First I've been able to see one first hand. Kinda a moot point since I ordered my SuperSplit a week ago. One had the remnants of a claim tag on it, from the shop that installed the upgrade parts I presume. Price tag on them - 1699.99

Thanks,

Tom
228554d1331575583-p1040181-jpg

228555d1331575586-p1040182-jpg

228556d1331575588-p1040183-jpg

228557d1331575590-p1040184-jpg

228558d1331575592-p1040185-jpg

Went back last Tuesday and picked up my Speedpro.
Some observations:
It has been stored outside since they took them off the market so many of the bolts had rusted on the surface.
Had the sales kid start it up. Started on first or second pull. Motor ran smoothly. No noticeable vibrations as described by some before.
The one thing that I noticed was that the flywheel and the clutch pulley were not lined up. When it was started they seemed to track OK and made no noise.

Hooked it to my car and towed it home...by the way the price was $1699.00 and I paid another $200 for the extended warranty. Figure that if I break it is should happen in the first three years.
Once home I figured I would try it out to see how it worked "out of the box".
I have about 8-10 cords of mainly cottonwood that blew down in last years storm. Figured that by the time I rented a splitter to take care of all that I would have paid for the speedpro so why not.
Now I know that cottonwood isn't the most favored firewood, but it is free and burns just fine when I feed the fire while working in my shop.
On to the test. Towed it down to the pile of wood and started it up. Once started, I set the speed at enough to engage the clutch, then increased it a bit. It went through every log with out a hitch. Then I hit a crotch piece, that took two hits, but split it. The clutch functioned as it should. The rack stopped. I disengaged the rack, let the flywheel get back up to speed and hit it again.
One of the trees taken down was an elm. The wood is really "stringy" and hard to split. I had to increase the speed a bit for this wood, but it went through it.
Ran it for about an hour and split about 1/2 cord of wood. Figured that was pretty good for having to haul the logs up to the drive and pull the bark off each one as I split it...it has been sitting for about a year.
There were no violent releases of the rack. Only once did I notice the handle releasing hard as I had left my hand on the handle and when it popped to return it hit my hand.
If the log is not cut square on the end it will push sidways. Not a big deal, just have to be careful and know how the machine is going to work when you put the log in place.
After an hour my right arm had had enough. I will be modifying the handle to a lower position that will be easier for me to use.
The safety switch didn't bother me to much and may go depending on the location of the handle.
Today I decided to look under the hood.
The parts replaced seem to be the same ones in the pictures above. There was some light grease on the rack and probably will be something that I will include in the regular list of things to do.
I got a closer look at the belt/pulley situation with the cover off. The problem appears to be that the flywheel is 1.25" from the outside of the belt to the outside of the other belt, while the clutch has about 1". If they had aligned the center of the flywheel to the center of the clutch this might not have been so obvious, but the centers are about half a belt off so one side is worse than the other. I think that moving the motor to center these up will help with the belt wear.

All and all so far I am pleased with the unit. Time will tell how well it holds up.
Keep you all posted.

For us ignorant types, can you please explain why? Thanks.

Inquisitive not ignorant...

As crud builds up on the I-beam from splitting over a period of time the rack may not return because these bearings can't freely roll over it. Larger bearings would be less sensitive to the crud build-up. The SS uses a larger bearing but I wish it was even bigger, thats why I have my splitter running on cam followers inside the I-beam. The electric splitter is sporting a larger bearing in the stock location and is showing to be an improvement over stock.

Inquisitive not ignorant...

As crud builds up on the I-beam from splitting over a period of time the rack may not return because these bearings can't freely roll over it. Larger bearings would be less sensitive to the crud build-up. The SS uses a larger bearing but I wish it was even bigger, thats why I have my splitter running on cam followers inside the I-beam. The electric splitter is sporting a larger bearing in the stock location and is showing to be an improvement over stock.

Thanks very much for that. A bit like pebbles sending us flying off our skateboards when we were kids then, whereas our bikes would just roll over them, pneumatics aside.

There seems to be plenty of clearance for a bigger bearing/s.

Exactly and yes there is plenty of room all to save a couple pennies literally.

SS advertises a towing package and does make them but they usually try to talk you out of it.

One time... I saw a tri-axle log truck towing an itty bitty SS, just funny to see in person.

Thanks very much for that. A bit like pebbles sending us flying off our skateboards when we were kids then, whereas our bikes would just roll over them, pneumatics aside.

There seems to be plenty of clearance for a bigger bearing/s.

Latest posts

Back