New SpeedPro Kinetic Log Splitter from TSC...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after much research and waiting... i finally brought home a speedpro last week.
overall a very good machine but:
much like other reports,
the flywheels are not balanced well giving the machine a wobble big enough to shake loose MANY fasteners .
i found 4 bolts/washers... on the ground after splitting for an hour. found where they belong and tightened well. spoke w speeco about the flywheel issue and they gave me authorized service centers locally. one of which has been out of business for over a year.
the next to closest shop has never even seen a kinetic splitter, leaving me hesitant to drop it off for fear of making matters worse. do these independent repair shops have a machine shop at their disposal to true the flywheels? should i just bring them to my trusted machine shop and eat the cost? shouldn't have to with the warranty...
aside from those issues, the motor runs well, splits ANYTHING i put on it. the handle needs relocation. my shoulder is fine but the wrist hurts... split 2 cords in a bit over 2 hrs...
very good machine overall...
has anyone successfully treated the out of round flywheel issue?

See post #232 and associated follow-up posts. It all boils down to poor quality control. Good luck!

I have just got a DR, only done a few wheelbarrows so far, only issue is that the bar does not always fully retract. May be an adjustment issue, should read the manual.

I have the work table (essential) and the electric start. Really nice but think the motor would be an easy start without.

philwillmt,
speeco sent YOU the replacement flywheels?
they told me to go to an authorized service center...

Well, I got my replacement flywheels yesterday, and I got my new SpeeCo splitter put back together today and test ran it. The replacement flywheels did the trick...the bouncing and lope are way better! There is minimal vibration and movement when the splitter is running, and it's certailnly tollerable! I split about two cords of wood today with it, and man is it fast! We'll see how long it holds up...hopefully a long, long time! The technical support I received from SpeeCo and TSC was very good. They got my parts to me within a week. They were also nice enough to send me some extra hardware and a couple of spare belts. Thanks Ron and Josh! Much appreciated!

Good question. One I'd be keen to learn the answer to also. Perhaps it was the research that confirmed various work-arounds exist for many of the products issues and have been documented in places like this thread, to the extent it's worth tackling those when they arise? Perhaps it's the knowledge buying this product rather than alternatives will be sure to leave enough to feed the family and pay the mortgage for another month? Perhaps the research revealed a company that is trying to stand behind their product, albeit rather slowly? I dunno, but I genuinely would be interested to learn why a suitably informed buyer would buy this product.

Ok, here is my answer:

After seeing the Speedpro when it initially came out, watching this forum as the problems were uncovered and fixes proposed, seeing Speeco pull them off the market and then reintroduce them after the fixes were released; I determined that I could handle any modifications I may feel necessary and at the same time save a good chunk of change. I like to tinker and this is a good basic machine to work with.

The Speedpro is locally available to me so I was able to see the unit and run it through several cycles to be sure the flywheel balance problem was not an issue and I purchased it. I have now split over 2 cords on it and only had one Y that it didn’t split, I believe it was my fault for not orienting it properly. No other Y’s have given me a problem. I have tightened up the return springs to keep them from jumping off and have sharpened the wedge. This evening I will be doing the cam stop adjustment to allow it to go just a little further over center to stop the “violent disengagement” that has happened on 3 of the tougher rounds I split.

The final modification will be to reorient the handle to make long term use more comfortable. I am working on an idea of making it a big 3" pushbutton at about shoulder height that I can just push straight away from me without having to bend or twist to actuate it, just a simple firm shove on the button. I will need to design a pivot to change the horizontal motion to a vertical motion to actuate the cam, but that won’t be difficult.

Ok, here is my answer:
Thanks for that. I figured that despite the SpeedPro issues, those who had the skills and time to tinker would prefer to save some bucks buying this splitter and get at it, secure in the knowledge that thanks to this thread, forewarned is forearmed. the savings are not insignificant, if a buyer has the nous and time, and can handle the downtime when the splitter is being modified.

philwillmt,
speeco sent YOU the replacement flywheels?
they told me to go to an authorized service center...

Tspot100,

SpeeCo sent the replacement flywheels / parts to the local TSC where I purchased the splitter, and I swapped them the out-of-balance flywheels when I picked up the new ones. I don't know if they offer that to everyone...I got the feeling that they would prefer an authorized service center to do all the repairs.

Tspot100,

SpeeCo sent the replacement flywheels / parts to the local TSC where I purchased the splitter, and I swapped them the out-of-balance flywheels when I picked up the new ones. I don't know if they offer that to everyone...I got the feeling that they would prefer an authorized service center to do all the repairs.

thanks for the reply. did speeco take your word for it that the flywheels were out of balance or was it diagnosed at one of their service centers?
thanks again,
baron?

Thanks for that. I figured that despite the SpeedPro issues, those who had the skills and time to tinker would prefer to save some bucks buying this splitter and get at it, secure in the knowledge that thanks to this thread, forewarned is forearmed. the savings are not insignificant, if a buyer has the nous and time, and can handle the downtime when the splitter is being modified.

Granted, downtime isn’t a big issue for me since I am not running a firewood business. But then again, I haven’t really had enough “downtime for mods” to really matter even for a business. I have re-tensioned the return springs using the adjustments built into the unit and sharpened the wedge. That took all of 15 minutes total. Then yesterday evening I tackled the cam mod. I removed both covers which required removing the handle, and then removed the cam. The holes in the flywheels line up to allow easy access to the cam pivot bolt and I had it out in no time. I noticed the holes in the frame that the pivot bolt mounts in are too big and allow too much slop in the cam movement, I might install some bushings at a later time. I marked the point the cam contacted the stop bar before removing it, then used my angle grinder to make a 1/16” groove at that location. Then I put it all back together after greasing the flywheel bearings and the rack. When testing after the mod it seemed to me that the cam was easier to engage, maybe because it is going further over-center and is locking in place more securely. The machine cycled well and the cam released properly. I split a few rounds and will test it on the nasty stuff this weekend if it doesn’t rain. All told, this mod took no more than 45 minutes to accomplish, so I have about 1 hour in “downtime for mods”.

Granted, downtime isn’t a big issue for me since I am not running a firewood business. But then again, I haven’t really had enough “downtime for mods” to really matter even for a business. I have re-tensioned the return springs using the adjustments built into the unit and sharpened the wedge. That took all of 15 minutes total. Then yesterday evening I tackled the cam mod. I removed both covers which required removing the handle, and then removed the cam. The holes in the flywheels line up to allow easy access to the cam pivot bolt and I had it out in no time. I noticed the holes in the frame that the pivot bolt mounts in are too big and allow too much slop in the cam movement, I might install some bushings at a later time. I marked the point the cam contacted the stop bar before removing it, then used my angle grinder to make a 1/16” groove at that location. Then I put it all back together after greasing the flywheel bearings and the rack. When testing after the mod it seemed to me that the cam was easier to engage, maybe because it is going further over-center and is locking in place more securely. The machine cycled well and the cam released properly. I split a few rounds and will test it on the nasty stuff this weekend if it doesn’t rain. All told, this mod took no more than 45 minutes to accomplish, so I have about 1 hour in “downtime for mods”.

i also thought the cam bolt was too small. i called speeco and e-mailed rich on this forum and were told by both of them that the hole is larger than the bolt by design and to leave it alone. hmmm???? interesting. i think the hole will get enlarged over time from each time the 5" bolt slams up and down with each cycle.

i also thought the cam bolt was too small. i called speeco and e-mailed rich on this forum and were told by both of them that the hole is larger than the bolt by design and to leave it alone. hmmm???? interesting. i think the hole will get enlarged over time from each time the 5" bolt slams up and down with each cycle.

I am thinking the same thing about the holes getting enlarged into an oval. My idea is to measure the bolt size and the hole size and get brass bushings to fit. That will take out the excessive play and will add a replaceable wear surface without changing the original hole size in case I need to return it to factory specs.

Anyone have any ideas as to why it should be left as it is with so much slop in the cam movement?

It really sounds like this unit has horrible QC on their parts and if they are claiming the hole is made that much bigger on purpose someone in their machine design team needs to be fired. Holes are typically only drilled 1/16" over on most applications sometimes and 1/8" if there are potential fit-up issues.

I am thinking the same thing about the holes getting enlarged into an oval. My idea is to measure the bolt size and the hole size and get brass bushings to fit. That will take out the excessive play and will add a replaceable wear surface without changing the original hole size in case I need to return it to factory specs.

Anyone have any ideas as to why it should be left as it is with so much slop in the cam movement?

Because there is a lack of quality control, and SpeeCo won't admit to it...plain and simple! In other words, sloppy workmanship!

thanks for the reply. did speeco take your word for it that the flywheels were out of balance or was it diagnosed at one of their service centers?
thanks again,
baron?

They took my word for it. It would be hard to deny given the amount of lope that the machine had...it was bouncing up and down over an inch! The "other" brand of splitter that I purchased after returning the SpeedPro is steady as a rock at any speed...exactly the way it should be if everything is balanced properly!

Kinetic

Hello!
Proud to present: Made in Estonia ( this is in Europe)

Mechanical flywheel log splitter - YouTube

Engineered by me (thanks to Youtube and dr)

All questions and suggestions are welcome.

This is ready-for production prototype nr1, we have little different nr 2, too

For proportions: knife height is approx 12 inch ( 30cm )
Wood is pine tree

Regards
Peeter

Interesting, which markets are you looking at? I noticed when I was in the UK there seemed nothing similar.

What size engine, what stroke, looks like 600mm?

Interesting, which markets are you looking at? I noticed when I was in the UK there seemed nothing similar.

What size engine, what stroke, looks like 600mm?

Hello
Yes, this is interesting issue, I can not found this type of splitters in all Europe, too.. so we made it.

This is heavy machinery and this is long way to UK, but everything is possible.
Some guards or covers or 2 hand switch must be invented for CE mark, but we do not want to make all process too slow.

Stroke on this red item is 700+ mm, little space is needed to ensure proper gear engagement.
Motor is 3kW/ 3 phase ... and this is more then enough. Test machine no2 has less then 1kW /3phase motor and only difference is acceleration time at start... 1,5 sec or 2,5-3 sec. Flywheels are doing the job. Our flywheels are bigger and slower then this US made machines and this looks good.
Regards
Peeter

Hello!
Proud to present: Made in Estonia ( this is in Europe)

Mechanical flywheel log splitter - YouTube

Engineered by me (thanks to Youtube and dr)

All questions and suggestions are welcome.

This is ready-for production prototype nr1, we have little different nr 2, too

For proportions: knife height is approx 12 inch ( 30cm )
Wood is pine tree

Regards
Peeter

In all due respect...not impressed!

Hello
Yes, this is interesting issue, I can not found this type of splitters in all Europe, too.. so we made it.

This is heavy machinery and this is long way to UK, but everything is possible.
Some guards or covers or 2 hand switch must be invented for CE mark, but we do not want to make all process too slow.

Stroke on this red item is 700+ mm, little space is needed to ensure proper gear engagement.
Motor is 3kW/ 3 phase ... and this is more then enough. Test machine no2 has less then 1kW /3phase motor and only difference is acceleration time at start... 1,5 sec or 2,5-3 sec. Flywheels are doing the job. Our flywheels are bigger and slower then this US made machines and this looks good.
Regards
Peeter

Sounds like you have a little work to do, but are well on the way to a production ready machine.

Mr. HE:cool:

speedpro update

finally dropped my speedpro off at an authorized service center yesterday for a flywheel swap..he quoted me 3 weeks...said speeco isn't the most responsive company when warranty issues arise. he had a 2nd speedpro there in pieces which had broken the rack..never had the retrofit.
will let you know how it runs when it is finished.
aside from the wobble..this thing splits like a champ

a while back I reported the local TSC had a couple updated units out front. Soon after they disappeared and I assumed they either sold or were sent to another store. Over the weekend I was back looking for something unrelated and somehow got to talking about splitters. Turns out the Speedpros are still there but they don't function properly after the updates were installed (they worked fine before) by a local repair shop. I got the impression that the store manager didn't know what to do with them at this point. Sounds like the push bar/rack was not returning and getting bound up.

Latest posts

Back