New SpeedPro Kinetic Log Splitter from TSC...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Belt drive on speedPro versus other mfg.

I have read most of the posts in the LONG thread, but not all so I may have missed any previous discussion on this. Questions/observations I have about the belt drive setup. I have seen photos of the drive setup on the DR and The Wood Wolf and they both have no grooves in the flywheel on the drive side. They are just using the friction of the bottom on the belts to drive the flywheels. From the limited photos of the SuperSplit that I have found it looks like that may also be the case there. Can any of the SS owners here confirm that? Anyone can provide photos (or a link to posts here) showing the drive on a SS?

My experiences tells me that the drive setup on the DR and WoodWolf would have a significant "slip factor" when the drive hit a dead stop such as a knot or overload. This would provide some limited overload protection for the system. The SpeedPro has actual v-grooves machined into the driven flywheel. While this is a good drive design as far as transferring torque, it would by design eliminate that slip factor of the other "poor" design. Anyone else think this may be a factor in some of the breakage problems or traumatic disengagement of the drive linkage? Another point is that by machining the grooves in the flywheel the effective diameter of the driven "pulley" is smaller, causing the pinion shaft to run slightly faster. Not a huge issue, but it seems pinion speed is quite a bit faster on the SpeedPro than the others. The photos showing the pulley on the engine look like it is quite a bit bigger diameter than the ones on the DR and WoodWolf for sure, and likely the SS from what I can see. Flywheels running that much faster would be a huge increase in force applied to the pinion/rack interface and could be part of the cause for tooth damage. Running engine slower on the SpeedPro would reduce that force down to the same levels that would be seen on the other units running engine at full speed because of greater reduction ratio on the drive. In the end it is about weight of the flywheels and RPM to determine force applied. Slowing down engine and lubing the centrifugal clutch to encourage slippage to me is addreessing the symptoms, not the problem. I think this is where the belt slippage may come in on the other units. Centrifugal clutches are not designed to be used for overload slippage protection. They are supposed to be fully locked in when engaged at operating speed and fully disengaged when below engagement speed. Metal on metal surfaces will quickly wear if forced into a repeated slippage condition.

Does anyone have the details about the diameters of the flwheel/pulley setups on the other manufacturers to compare to what the SpeedPro is equipped with? How about the pitch of the pinion and rack Anyone measure the teeth per inch on the rack? (not the same as pitch, but can be used to determine diametral pitch). How many teeth on the pinion shaft for each manufacturer and the OD of the pinion shaft?

Just food for thought and to spark some more conversation. I just saw the SpeedPro for the first time at my local TSC. I found this thread and am interested in the SpeedPro even though it may need some tinkering and possible redesign. The inertia/kinetic concept is well proven and there seems to be no reason this unit cannot be as functional as any of the others.

I have read most of the posts in the LONG thread ... The inertia/kinetic concept is well proven and there seems to be no reason this unit cannot be as functional as any of the others.

I have the rapid fire. Had an issue for a little while and was running with the cover off for a while to diagnose. The belts don't really slip, the clutch lets out first.

After all that research, why did you buy one? :confused:

uhh..because the price was right and only a small portion of the feedback was negative. it splits extremely well and i would buy another..hmm two of em would be nice but i could get a supersplit for the price of two speedpros. i have yet to find a round it will not split on the first try. the largest round so far, i could not get my arms around. like butter...

I have read most of the posts in the LONG thread, but not all so I may have missed any previous discussion on this. Questions/observations I have about the belt drive setup. I have seen photos of the drive setup on the DR and The Wood Wolf and they both have no grooves in the flywheel on the drive side. They are just using the friction of the bottom on the belts to drive the flywheels. From the limited photos of the SuperSplit that I have found it looks like that may also be the case there. Can any of the SS owners here confirm that? Anyone can provide photos (or a link to posts here) showing the drive on a SS?

My experiences tells me that the drive setup on the DR and WoodWolf would have a significant "slip factor" when the drive hit a dead stop such as a knot or overload. This would provide some limited overload protection for the system. The SpeedPro has actual v-grooves machined into the driven flywheel. While this is a good drive design as far as transferring torque, it would by design eliminate that slip factor of the other "poor" design. Anyone else think this may be a factor in some of the breakage problems or traumatic disengagement of the drive linkage? Another point is that by machining the grooves in the flywheel the effective diameter of the driven "pulley" is smaller, causing the pinion shaft to run slightly faster. Not a huge issue, but it seems pinion speed is quite a bit faster on the SpeedPro than the others. The photos showing the pulley on the engine look like it is quite a bit bigger diameter than the ones on the DR and WoodWolf for sure, and likely the SS from what I can see. Flywheels running that much faster would be a huge increase in force applied to the pinion/rack interface and could be part of the cause for tooth damage. Running engine slower on the SpeedPro would reduce that force down to the same levels that would be seen on the other units running engine at full speed because of greater reduction ratio on the drive. In the end it is about weight of the flywheels and RPM to determine force applied. Slowing down engine and lubing the centrifugal clutch to encourage slippage to me is addreessing the symptoms, not the problem. I think this is where the belt slippage may come in on the other units. Centrifugal clutches are not designed to be used for overload slippage protection. They are supposed to be fully locked in when engaged at operating speed and fully disengaged when below engagement speed. Metal on metal surfaces will quickly wear if forced into a repeated slippage condition.

Does anyone have the details about the diameters of the flwheel/pulley setups on the other manufacturers to compare to what the SpeedPro is equipped with? How about the pitch of the pinion and rack Anyone measure the teeth per inch on the rack? (not the same as pitch, but can be used to determine diametral pitch). How many teeth on the pinion shaft for each manufacturer and the OD of the pinion shaft?

Just food for thought and to spark some more conversation. I just saw the SpeedPro for the first time at my local TSC. I found this thread and am interested in the SpeedPro even though it may need some tinkering and possible redesign. The inertia/kinetic concept is well proven and there seems to be no reason this unit cannot be as functional as any of the others.

The SuperSplit does not have grooves in the driven pulley. For what it's worth, I can tell you from experience that there is no comparison between the quality of a SpeedPro and a SuperSplit! This is one of those cases where you get what you pay for.

SpeedPro pricing

I was at TSC yesterday and there were two SpeedPro machines on sale for $1,399.00

View attachment 241201View attachment 241202

The price was marked down the same at the TSC store that I saw them at. The two machines were sitting in the outside lot and had been there for a while based on the amount of rust on exposed parts.

speedpro update

finally heard from the repair shop replacing the flywheels. the parts were shipped along with a service bullitin stating:
tractor Supply Co will no longer carry the speedpro model and all owners of this machiene can return their machiene to speeco for full refund. sounds like they are stopping production..if that is the case, parts in the future will be hard to come by. i'll probably send it back. what if i need a rack or some other part in the future????i'll call speco later today. looks like supersplit may have another sale here as i have no tolerance for the slow hydraulic splitters....

That's too bad, even though I have a SuperSplit now that I am happy with, the towing cabability of the SpeedPro unit is something I wish I could do with the SS.

finally heard from the repair shop replacing the flywheels. the parts were shipped along with a service bullitin stating:
tractor Supply Co will no longer carry the speedpro model and all owners of this machiene can return their machiene to speeco for full refund. sounds like they are stopping production..if that is the case, parts in the future will be hard to come by. i'll probably send it back. what if i need a rack or some other part in the future????i'll call speco later today. looks like supersplit may have another sale here as i have no tolerance for the slow hydraulic splitters....

spoke w speeco. they still plan on making the speedpro but will not be selling them at tractor supply. i was assured that parts will be available for many years to come..the redesigned, balanced parts that is...looking into the SS...

spoke w speeco. they still plan on making the speedpro but will not be selling them at tractor supply. i was assured that parts will be available for many years to come..the redesigned, balanced parts that is...looking into the SS...

At this point in the game, can we really rely on anything Speeco says ?
And why won't they be carried at Tractor Supply ?
Where would you even go to get parts then, who is going to carry them ?

speedpro update

speeco is still manufacturing the speedpro they will be available in other locations within the year .tractor supply will not handle them anymore.I have had no trouble getting parts.other than the upgrade , the only part I had to replace was the casting and bearing on the drive side .speeco will get this figured out . hang in there .I have split logs up to 30" with no problems.if speeco would install a smaller pulley ,it would make the splitter perform better and safer

well..heres the speedpro update: you all can say i told you so....
bought 4/28/12. out of balance and to the repair shop for new flywheels 5/5/12. got it back 2 1/2 months later.
runs better but only one flywheel was replaced. deicided to split wood before bringing to another repair center when it failed last nite.
the rack is stuck in the extended position. there is nothing blocking it's travel, the 4 roller bearings on the plate that slides on the tongue are shot. will not budge forward or backward. i have had enough of this. it's going back to tractor supply. will look into a wood wolf or supersplit. will never go back to hydro however..the speed of these things ruined me... split mabey 4 cords...serious quality issues .......

well..heres the speedpro update: you all can say i told you so....
bought 4/28/12. out of balance and to the repair shop for new flywheels 5/5/12. got it back 2 1/2 months later.
runs better but only one flywheel was replaced. deicided to split wood before bringing to another repair center when it failed last nite.
the rack is stuck in the extended position. there is nothing blocking it's travel, the 4 roller bearings on the plate that slides on the tongue are shot. will not budge forward or backward. i have had enough of this. it's going back to tractor supply. will look into a wood wolf or supersplit. will never go back to hydro however..the speed of these things ruined me... split mabey 4 cords...serious quality issues .......

I know you have a sour taste in your mouth but... take a sledge and beat the head back or remove the bolts that have the bearings on them since they need to be replaced. there are slivers of wood wedged under it. bearings are replaceable.

Last edited:
speeco is still manufacturing the speedpro
If only. I doubt they were ever manufacturing it, rather buying it in with their logo plastered on it. Whoever runs the quality control in their importing arm needs to be shown the door (and probably those who are supposed to be keeping an eye on them too)

This has happened to us more than once.
Slivers of wood/bark can get caught between the stainless plate and brass bottom of the push plate. This should not infer that the bearings are worn or need to be replaced. We have found that a sledge is a tool you should carry with you. Use the sledge when the log is stuck on the wedge, also use it when slivers get caught in the push plate/ram gap.

Has anyone been in contact with speeco and knows for sure that the kenetic splitters will still be sold ?
Are parts available for any existing splitters that were not returned to TSupply ?

Last edited:
I have emailed my contact @ Speeco asking for more information.

Latest posts

Back