New SpeedPro Kinetic Log Splitter from TSC...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
speeco will get this figured out . hang in there .

Speeco should have had it "figured out" before they ever put it on the market! They are using us as their "Research & Development Department".
If the manufacturer of your vehicle (car or truck) sold you a product with as much quality built in as Speeco has, you'd have a different outlook I bet.

Andy

I feel the same way concerning Speeco. I have had zero problems with our splitter. The guys love it and the productivity of this machine is AWESOME. I have two hydraulic splitters and they see hardly any use except for the too large to handle rule for the kinetic.

Speeco had some of their people chime in every now and again to let people know what was going on. I have not seen this happen lately. The repair shop that did mine has 4 SpeedPro units that were repaired just sitting. I may buy another to have as a back up.

The inconsistency in quality has been the downfall of this machine IMO. The trailer-ability of this splitter is a must for me. I "get" why DR builds their machine for the wood splitter who want to move around his yard, that is a model that doesn't get it for me.

With the SpeedPro it is hooked to a Kubota RTV or Toyota PU. Split the wood, pitch it into the bed and drive off. Oh well!

This has happened to us more than once.
Slivers of wood/bark can get caught between the stainless plate and brass bottom of the push plate. This should not infer that the bearings are worn or need to be replaced. We have found that a sledge is a tool you should carry with you. Use the sledge when the log is stuck on the wedge, also use it when slivers get caught in the push plate/ram gap.

Rather than hitting the ram ,just shut down engine and turn the pulley backwards and remove the wood splinters.Hitting the ram could damage the rack.

i checked it out before i brought it back. there were no wood chips under the rack, only 2 of the bearings were seized. i will be smiling when i pick up it's replacement (supersplit) next week:)
i spoke w speeco numerous times about this product. only 600 were sold and almost all have been returned. they will keep making parts for those machines still out there..they are "re-vamping" the speedpro for sale at a later date. when it worked..it split very well. split anything i could hoist onto it...even the biggies.

i checked it out before i brought it back. there were no wood chips under the rack, only 2 of the bearings were seized. i will be smiling when i pick up it's replacement (supersplit) next week:)
i spoke w speeco numerous times about this product. only 600 were sold and almost all have been returned. they will keep making parts for those machines still out there..they are "re-vamping" the speedpro for sale at a later date. when it worked..it split very well. split anything i could hoist onto it...even the biggies.

You will NOT be disappointed with a SuperSplit!

They are using us as their "Research & Development Department".
Also as the marketing department...for Super Split, and to a lesser extent perhaps, DR.

Way to go, Speeco. You sure know how to hand it to your competitors on a silver plate!

All this is probably of little consolation to the long suffering Speed Pro early adopters, and to them I say thanks for buying this POS and posting of your experiences with it. In another time you would have been richly rewarded for the perceived risks of buying on faith, with a product that was actually fit for purpose, but this time it seems not. Without your contributions in this forum many more of us would be in the same boat as you are.

I just wait for my machine to fall apart. We work it weekly and it has given zero problems:msp_biggrin:
I looks like BSD and me are the only guys who have had little issues with our machines and we this aren't splitters that get used 10hrs/year.

I just wait for my machine to fall apart. We work it weekly and it has given zero problems:msp_biggrin:
I looks like BSD and me are the only guys who have had little issues with our machines and we this aren't splitters that get used 10hrs/year.
Life would be less interesting without statistical anomalies, blind luck and so forth. :D

when your ss is engaged does the cam go over center? also how much up and down movement is there between the rack and pinion gear? Does it ever disengage?

Long time lurker, first time poster. I found one of these on Craigslist for $1000. Called the guy and offered him $600, he countered with $725. It was brand new, never had gas or oil in it. All updates installed. The guy owns a small engine shop and had gotten the machine from TSC to apply the updates and TSC evidently didn't want the machine back. Split half a cord last night with it in about 30 minutes with the wife. Only had the handle kick back one time. I opened the case today and found one of the flywheel bearings had almost no grease in it. Took off the safety button and I am going to make a different handle for it, but overall I am happy with the machine. Oh yeah, I towed it down the highway 30 miles to get it home and it towed fine. Looks like all the bolts are raw steel, so I will be replacing them soon so they don't rust. I think I will have work bend me up an larger outfeed table also.

Joe

when your ss is engaged does the cam go over center?
Yes, slightly. I haven't measured my SS and I'm about 150 miles from it at the mo' but the bearing goes slightly passed center.
Does it ever disengage?
Yes. I've given mine hell in the name of finding it's limits and there are times when the force is too great and applied so fast that it just pops the engage bearing back before the belts slip and most definately before the revs have slowed enough to let the clutch slip. Not often though. Usually it will just bog down and the belts will slip and at that stage, possibly only 1/2 dozen times in a few hundred cords, it may stall if the belts don't slip enough and I don't get to the handle to manually disengage in time. I have the belts just on the loose side of just about right to avoid this.

money isn't the problem

Live free or die, made sense then and still does -- stop buying into commie/'corrupt capitalist' destruction of our economy -- ever see what life is like for people constrained to work for $1/day? Pray your children won't be up against it due to our short sighted greed.

Just returned mine

Hi all,

Thought I'd provide everyone with an update and some things I found out along the way that may help others out. I too was one of the early adopters that bought one as soon as they were released last year. I bought mine last September and I have to say it has worked great for me over the past year. About two weeks ago I came back to the forums to see if there were any updates in the issues people were having and was shocked to read about all the problems. I'm not a heavy user but I do split a couple cords per year and I actually just split two cords for the upcoming winter without issue.

I decided to hit speecos site and as mentioned there was no information at all about the splitter. I then called the number someone posted to their customer service department. After chatting with the rep who was very helpful he confirmed I had two options. One was to take it to a service center and get the upgraded rack and parts or take it back to TSC for a full refund. All that is needed is the receipt. I specifically asked him about parts availability moving forward, to which he answered it was doubtfull they would be available...RED FLAG.

With that I then called a local service center and had a great conversation with the woman that handles all their warranty claims. I explained the situation and she was well aware of the fix. I asked her the same question about parts and her recommendation on whether I should take the chance moving forward. Her response....TAKE IT BACK. She stated while they have fixed several of the splitters and have not had anyone issues the real concern is parts availability for the future. Personally I don't want to be stuck with a $1,600 piece of steel 10 years down the road.

I then decided to just stop into TSC and see if they would take it back. After explaining the situation and what I was told by speeco CS he made a couple calls and verified that they would take them back for a full refund with a recept regardless of purchase date. I went back the next day with my receipt and they proceeded to give me a full refund. Mine was over a year old and they took it no questions asked. My suggestion to anyone who has one is to return it and go with something else. I think with the sale going on I'll be going with the DR Pro-XL.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thought I'd provide everyone with an update and some things I found out along the way that may help others out. I too was one of the early adopters that bought one as soon as they were released last year. I bought mine last September and I have to say it has worked great for me over the past year. About two weeks ago I came back to the forums to see if there were any updates in the issues people were having and was shocked to read about all the problems. I'm not a heavy user but I do split a couple cords per year and I actually just split two cords for the upcoming winter without issue.

I decided to hit speecos site and as mentioned there was no information at all about the splitter. I then called the number someone posted to their customer service department. After chatting with the rep who was very helpful he confirmed I had two options. One was to take it to a service center and get the upgraded rack and parts or take it back to TSC for a full refund. All that is needed is the receipt. I specifically asked him about parts availability moving forward, to which he answered it was doubtfull they would be available...RED FLAG.

With that I then called a local service center and had a great conversation with the woman that handles all their warranty claims. I explained the situation and she was well aware of the fix. I asked her the same question about parts and her recommendation on whether I should take the chance moving forward. Her response....TAKE IT BACK. She stated while they have fixed several of the splitters and have not had anyone issues the real concern is parts availability for the future. Personally I don't want to be stuck with a $1,600 piece of steel 10 years down the road.

I then decided to just stop into TSC and see if they would take it back. After explaining the situation and what I was told by speeco CS he made a couple calls and verified that they would take them back for a full refund with a recept regardless of purchase date. I went back the next day with my receipt and they proceeded to give me a full refund. Mine was over a year old and they took it no questions asked. My suggestion to anyone who has one is to return it and go with something else. I think with the sale going on I'll be going with the DR Pro-XL.

I took mine back a while ago and bought a super split, couldn't be happier with it.

I liked the speeco, I wish it would have turned out better. The supersplit is a better built machine by far.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

have you made any modifications to your speedpro? what speed do you run the engine?

Hi all,

I highly recommend the Super Split. DR is having some issues also...

have you made any modifications to your speedpro? what speed do you run the engine?
i run a reversed handle and removed safety button. we run the machine @ 2600-2700 rpm only. We grease the rack and spray the clutch with fluid film so they slip like they're designed to.

We have split over 55 full cords with our machine.

Hello CSMITH,

My mods are like BSD's. I need to try Fluid Film's products too.

I have no complaints about my machine either.

i run a reversed handle and removed safety button. we run the machine @ 2600-2700 rpm only. We grease the rack and spray the clutch with fluid film so they slip like they're designed to.

We have split over 55 full cords with our machine.

Did you change the engagement cam so it goes slightly over center?

Yes, I was one of the first to make that discovery when i reversed my handle. my original design was didn't take it into account and I had to make another to get the pin forward.

Latest posts

Back