New Splitter Coming soon!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd W

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My Swisher 34 Ton commercial splitter should arrive early next week :rock:

The manual says to use 10 Micron filters, but the ones from Swisher are $19 + Shipping, stupid expensive... I looked up others and came up with: (Other reason is I'd like to use Amazon Prime 2 day for parts if I can)

- WIX 51551MP
- Baldwin BT839-10 (-10 = 10Micron Version)

My concern is that the WIX "Technical" page shows max flow as 12-16GPM while the log splitter is rated for 22GPM in Stage 1.... seems like I'd be slowing it down due to a small / improper filter?

Of course it's not "their" filter, but maybe I'm missing how different labels on the filter let them run at higher GPM ??

Anyone have any experience with this splitter and/or limitations by the filter element on GPM? I'd like to make sure I get most out of it as possible :D

Any other tips/tricks for those who have this splitter or mods you made to it to make it even better :pingpong:

I believe your factory swisher filter if this is the number ls1113 is actaully a 25micron filter, not a 10micron. Wix 51551MP is a 10 micron, 51552 is 20 micron and 51553 is 33 micron. try looking up the fpe 30-25 number after the part number in the diagram, wait a min, done it for you, http://www.hydrafil.com/fpc-fpe3025n-p-7113.html, (napa is a lot cheaper if you go with WIX)

Attachments

• Capturefilter.JPG
    Capturefilter.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 21
I believe your factory swisher filter if this is the number ls1113 is actaully a 25micron filter, not a 10micron. Wix 51551MP is a 10 micron, 51552 is 20 micron and 51553 is 33 micron. try looking up the fpe 30-25 number after the part number in the diagram, wait a min, done it for you, http://www.hydrafil.com/fpc-fpe3025n-p-7113.html, (napa is a lot cheaper if you go with WIX)

The image you screenshot is not in my manual, I think it may be for another splitter or an older model. If my manual had a part # other than the LS# it would have been easier ;) but only Swisher Part # in my manual.

You're correct though, it does say "LS1113" "Filter -Element" but no other part #... very odd if that's 25 micron, and the manual says to use only 10 ?!? WHAT !

I'm looking to keep one on hand, so no need "NOW" but would be good to know what I need... :) I'll just wait until it arrives and check the part # on it, hopefully it's there :)

Thanks @muddstopper

Looks like a nice unit. Tell us why you chose it over other offerings.

I had been planning to build a beastly wood splitter but after pricing out "my components" for a slightly stronger, slightly > ton, slightly faster, I didn't want to spend the $ or the time to build it when it can be delivered ;) ready to go 'almost as good'... and I rented a splitter for a day and spent around 8hrs straight splitting my oak, around 2 cords.... looking at the piles of Oak I have and that some of it is MUCH MUCH larger rounds than what I've done I knew I was into it 3 or so more rentals, and that just didn't make any sense :) Our only heat source is wood so it'll be put to use every year.

I went with this model over local options and other internet options because of rating/speed/pump/engine/fluid capacity to $$ value. I think it's listed for $3600 but you can find it online for around 2900 delivered.

I was set on the Northstar from Northern Tool but I believe it was only 16GPM (& lower HP) and by the time shipping and tax were added it was the same price as this unit. I really wanted to get a Honda engine so I went back and forth, and finally decided the swisher seemed to "fit" more. I also started finding stories about Northern Tool's model needing some work after only a few cords on various forums.

We'll see how it works :) Either way, this is way better than the local rental unit so I should be happy.

In reality we don't burn tons of wood like most on the East Coast and Mid-West so unless I split for friends it will only do 5 cords or less per-year, so it should really last forever if taken care of.

I think I would call swisher and make them verify the filter, it dont make sense that they would ship a new splitter with 25micron filters when their own manuals recommend 10 micron.

I think you will be happy with the Swisher. I am sort of the opinion that most of the box store splitter's will out live the owner's if they are properly taken care of. Simple things like filter changes and storing in the dry will add years to just about any type of equipment

I agree @muddstopper soon as I get rid of all these rounds I'm going to build some new storage, and one for the splitter to go into as well!

I like building this stuff when I'm using items from my scrap pile, or wood that was free :) Hoping all I need to buy are screws, bolts and some steel roofing!

10 micron nominal I think works out to 25 micron absolute if my filter knowledge serves me correctly.

hydraulic filter and fluid? You mean that's supposed to be changed? Oh well 16 years and still going strong on the original fluid and filter....eek!

Almost put 10G of fuel through it :eek: since Friday... yeah, I'm playing catch-up :dizzy:

Observations so far:
  • If vent/fill for hydraulic fluid is even slightly on the low side after about 1.5hrs it is hot enough that air expands, it burps, and expels hydraulic fluid.
    Upon leveling that side it stopped completely.
    Solution: Adding a jack/leveling foot to the vent side to make it simple to keep level.
  • Hydraulic Cylinder / Fluid get extremely hot when operating with 2 persons over extended period of time. 2.5G of fuel non-stop with 2 people and it will burn you. Much hotter than I'd expected from 15G of hydraulic fluid. I am researching adding a radiator/cooler and maybe even rigging up a mini-alternator to recharge + power accessories like a fan on the cooler, LED lights.
  • Storage of the 4x blade in standard location will damage hoses over time rubbing them on sharp side. 4x splitter blade can be dangerous
  • MUST weld on more 'rough spots' on bottom 2" plate... huge bruise on knee from kick-out of log sliding off
  • The thing is a BEAST. Very rarely does it stall / go into 2nd slow-torque stage... even with 4-way on wet or dry oak! I'm AMAZED by the power. I think over the 10G I've done I've heard it "rev up" and "pwoer up" maybe a dozen times. NOTHING has posed a problem, it just simply slices through, amazing.
  • I wouldn't trust towing it with a single 2"x2" frame, also changing tounge to 1 7/8 ball to match my other mini-trailer for my ATV around property, even though the 1 7/8 works fine on the 2" and is really "stuck" on, for $20 I'll play it safe and use the 2" tounge for another project. I have some slightly larger 2" tubing but 5/8" wall, I may replace the entire towing/tounge with this to be on the over-kill side.
  • The Grade-5 bolt that holds the entire I-Beam/Cylinder inplace is STUPID!! Everything else is grade 8 this is grade 5, and TINY at that, stupid. I plan to replace this entire assembly with a 7/8 or 1" pin. If this is done and the above "towing tounge" (just 2" tube) is replaced I'll have re-done the entire mounting/towing setup for the i-beam, and tounge/towing. Spare parts around the farm, and about 2-5x stronger if I had to guess. I want this thing to last FOREVER.

Future Changes:
- Horizontal splitting table that splits on extension, and retraction. The power is there, the i-beam strenght/thickness it there.. so in the future I'll build a table for this operation, and a log-lift to faciliate standing up :) on the knees SUCKS
- 25K GVW tranny cooler to keep fluid cooler than it is now! Longevity of pump, cyinder seals, etc...
- Vavle will be have quick disconnects added, same with power and return lines... this way I can use the hydraulic power plant for other usages :) such as shop press, or other random tools :) like tube bender.

Everyone who's used it or seen ti in action so far is impressed that NOTHING stops it, I-Beam is insanely thick compared to rentals, and other units I've used in the past.

Surprises are that they don't lube the splitter / slide part on the i-beam.

I wish it had a 5G gas tank too :)

FWIW, if you don't want to do the electric fan thing on the fluid cooler, you can mount it on its side and make somewhat of a "stack" around it, so it'll pull some air over itself via convection. Whether it'll be enough or not is anybody's guess, but it'll be some. I'd personally try it before I went through the hassle of doing the alternator/battery/efan route.

Mike

So I really wish I had the Honda motor on this thing!!
Over the last 2 years I've had to replace numerous parts:

- fuel filter (not due to a clog) w\a larger one
- empty fuel tank (water got in from not a tight connection on top) and clean it out
- spark plugs (seems way too soon)
- the quick oil drain leaks
- both ignition coils
- fuel Pump
- fuel Solenoid

I purchased extra solenoids, pumps and ignition coils as they seem they'll go out in another 2-3 years.

The unit has been kept covered so it's not getting soaked in rain or snow all winter, but a storm here or there will catch it outside uncovered.

Other than this it's a beast :)

Latest posts

Back