New splittler build-does cylinder type matter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkie62

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am starting to collect parts for a new splitter I would like to build.My first which is now going to be 25 yrs old has worked flawlessly with zero breakdowns except for a hose when I dropped a big round on it.Well I belong to Northern tool hotline and they have cylinders from time to time on sale.Any difference between a welded T or a tie rod cylinder ?.My splitter has a tie rod cylinder now.My plan is to use a 5x30 cylinder.

Not really in the case of a log splitter. As log as its rated for the pressure you run (PSI), you can pick any cylinder that fits your needs. I'm using one from a planter.

I use a tie rod cylinder as I got a heck of a deal on it. With that being said when it's time to replace I want to go to a 5" welded cylinder. The cylinder now is a 4" bore with 30" stroke.

Mine now is a 4 x 24, I want a bit more power so am jumping up to a 5 x 30.Also I will be having an aluminum collar machined so that I can clamp it on the cyl for a stop for when splitting a set size smalle wood.

I'm gonna add my anti ti-rod post I put in all the splitter build threads..they're fragile and very susceptible to leaks if hit hard enough. Splitters get bumped around and the nicks and scratches on my splitters ram are evidence that stuff happens. I've resealed many a tie-rod type hydraulic ram tube that was in good working order and with one knock from a maintenance mans work boot was weeping hydro. oil .

I have been using a 4x24" tie rod cylinder without any problems. Several hundred cords split.

Typically most tie rod cylinders you find in farm supply stores are going to be rated for 2,500 psi. Welded are typically rated at 3,000 psi. However, you will need to check the cylinder's rating as there is a range of psi ratings for each type.

I left the pressure relief on my valve set at 2,250 psi & using a 4 way wedge system, rarely have a problem with it splitting. (On elm if larger diamete than 18" I will noodle before splitting.)

If you plan on setting the pressure relief at 3,000 psi, I would go welded otherwise tie rod will work just fine.

I am set at 2250 psi from factory.I at times think going up to 3000 psi for more power.But anyway I will be at the 3000 psi and a 5" cylinder .I have had no problem splitting anything with my 4" in splitting 1 way bt going to 4 way it sometimes stalls.

Latest posts

Back