New stove decisions, thoughts, ideas, comments wanted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I lived in Wisconsin and wanted a high end furnace, I would get a Royall. Hands down. If I was going to replace my Heatmor, I would buy a Royall indoor boiler. With the logistics, they are made in Reedsburg, WI. That is what I'd do.

There's no need to burn wood at 22-24" length to get a long overnight burn. Our furnace accepts 22" I think, and we cut at 16-18" length. When looking at EPA stoves, something in the 3+ cuft firebox will burn nice and long. Here recently our local home depot had the nc30 for 675.00, it was a steal at that price. Dealing with our furnace and it's quality, I wouldn't hesitate on a Drolet either. Nothing wrong with some box store stoves. If its heat your looking for, they will get the job done on a budget without all the fancy jewelry and outrageous prices.

Take a look a Pacific Energy if that is available in your area..
Strong Performer..

I am south of Tillsonburg

I will try to find a better website with more info.

All I know is that they are Amish built locally. And I have two friends with the Cunningham and both are pleased with the performance of the stove as well as the price.

Can't seem to find any US sellers of these, and the price is on the high end of what I'd like to spend, before I even get it here. Kind of a neat looking stove though. Would like to have one of those spiffy wood cookstoves one day when I build my retirement house. That's a looong ways off yet though.

Lot of advantages

Whatever stove or manufacturer you decide upon, get one that will take 24 inch wood.

It will save you a lot of processing time when putting up your yearly supply.

No need to worry about pieces being too long and not finding out until you try to shove them in and can't close the stove door in the middle of the night. If the chunk / log fits on a standard 2 foot stroke splitter it will go in the stove.

When loading for a long burn, ie overnight, three 24 inch pieces is the equivalent of four 18 inch pieces. (assuming same size splits)

My experience, take it for what you will.

Take Care

I've been cutting wood to 24" for years, you don't have to tell me the advantages, but many stoves out there won't take wood that long. If I find one I like that takes wood that long, so much the better, but if not, I'm not worried about it, if I buy a stove made to take 20", I'll start cutting 18-20" wood.

Plus, cutting is the fun part - shorter wood = more saw time!

LOPI.....The Liberty model is amazing:clap:

The Jotul Firelight F600CB is one that takes 24 inch wood.

Price, price, and price. If I find a nice used one, they'd all be welcome here, but they're not enough better in my eyes than the "bargain basement" models I'm leaning toward to justify their extra cost. Remember that this stove is going down in the man zone at the bottom of the stairs where things like chain grinders, shotshell reloaders, and other cool stuff hang out, not in the middle of the living room.

If I lived in Wisconsin and wanted a high end furnace, I would get a Royall. Hands down. If I was going to replace my Heatmor, I would buy a Royall indoor boiler. With the logistics, they are made in Reedsburg, WI. That is what I'd do.

Not interested in a furnace, for various reasons, not the least of which is that after my pole shed goes up in a year or three, I'll be looking hard at an OWB for the house and shed both, and then the stove will be backup heat. When that time comes, Royall will be on the list of boilers to look at.

There's no need to burn wood at 22-24" length to get a long overnight burn. Our furnace accepts 22" I think, and we cut at 16-18" length. When looking at EPA stoves, something in the 3+ cuft firebox will burn nice and long. Here recently our local home depot had the nc30 for 675.00, it was a steal at that price. Dealing with our furnace and it's quality, I wouldn't hesitate on a Drolet either. Nothing wrong with some box store stoves. If its heat your looking for, they will get the job done on a budget without all the fancy jewelry and outrageous prices.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks for reminding me that I missed out on that deal last spring, I remember seeing the "fire sale" post, and should have jumped on it then.

Take a look a Pacific Energy if that is available in your area..
Strong Performer..

See above. Price. I did have a good look at the Super 27, as well as the Summit, just couldn't see that they were that much better stoves. Like I said though, a nice used one isn't ruled out, if I can come by one before I break down and buy new.

A friend of mine has a Cunningham heater by Suppertime stoves. He looked at the Blaze King as well as the Pacific Energy Summit. The Cunningham has an automatic damper as well as a very large firebox and btu output. He is took out a Regency stove that didnt hold enough wood for the long periods of time he is at work (13+ hours a day plowing snow). The Cunningham is also less than half the price of either the Blaze King or the Pacific Energy.
Comfort Time Stoves : Cunningham Heater : Western Canada's Official Dealer of Amish Quality Airtight Wood Stoves and Heaters!

$2100 to $2300??? Looks like a nice stove, and good workmanship but I have never heard of them before. Second no info on them, very vague. Third you can buy a top of the line, all bells, and whistles Blaze King King Ultra for $2700 that's only $400 difference, not half. I am sure a plan black one could be had for less. Fourth, for a stove with a 5 cubic foot firebox it should be making more than 75K BTU's. Still interesting though.

$2100 to $2300??? Looks like a nice stove, and good workmanship but I have never heard of them before. Second no info on them, very vague. Third you can buy a top of the line, all bells, and whistles Blaze King King Ultra for $2700 that's only $400 difference, not half. I am sure a plan black one could be had for less. Fourth, for a stove with a 5 cubic foot firebox it should be making more than 75K BTU's. Still interesting though.

I was seriously looking into the stove you have before I moved on. I couldn't find a price close to that and I just wanted the pedastool and glass door. $3400 sticks in my mind without tax or delivery. That was 2 years ago. Maybe I didn't look hard enough...Can you point me to that dealer?

do me a favor and search woodstock soapstone and read the testimonials...they just made a new big hybrid stove that looks great. the company is honest made in nh and if there still is a tax credit it could almost be in your price range...they are expensive but when you see the quality and talk to the people in that comapny your so glad you paid the money. i owned a vermont castings dutchwest and liked it nothing bad to say it just had to stay with that house i sold. this house im in had a steel stove and i didnt like it. i got the woodstock 4 yrs ago and im glad i went with soapstone, just my 2 cents whichever way you go will reduce or elimanate your heating bills so youre ahead of the game

I was seriously looking into the stove you have before I moved on. I couldn't find a price close to that and I just wanted the pedastool and glass door. $3400 sticks in my mind without tax or delivery. That was 2 years ago. Maybe I didn't look hard enough...Can you point me to that dealer?

Ok I lied the Blaze King Ultra with Gold door, side shields, convection deck, and fan kit was $2900. You made me dig out my paperwork. I also made them throw in a cord of wood, and that is without tax. I bought mine out of Wyoming from Global Spas and Stoves. I just called them and their list price for a Blaze King Ultra with black door is $2978, Classis is $2678, and Parlor is $2853 plus $109 for a ash pan. A fan Kit is $259 list. Now I made a deal with the owner of the company so I did get a better price than list. I always make a deal below list or I just do not buy the item. Only deal with someone who can give you a yes answer

If memory serves me correct I think my friend paid around $1500 factory direct, and a blaze king ultra was about $3200++ at a local dealer.

Steve
Have been watching the comments on the What To Look For In A Wood Stove thread and not sure I want to jump into that mess, but I really like my Pacific Energy Super 27 stove(same firebox as their Spectrum model). It is heating my 2000 s.f. ranch style house very well and has been for about 12or 13 years now. I paid around 1000 dollars and looked at Quadra Fire, Lopi, Regency and others through literature and personal "inspection". The PE was priced less or equal to most others and had several features that seemed to me to be better.
1. The PE has a secondary burn baffle that appeared to be thicker and less prone to damage than the type with tubes.The baffle is stainless and has a lifetime guarantee and currently is showing no signs of burn out or any type of problems.
2.The firebox is of a "floating" design where it is not anchored to the outer shell of the stove.This alows it to expand and contract independently. A feature that I thought should help keep the stress cracks that are common to steel plate stoves from occurring.
I have single wall pipe to the ceiling(8ft. ceiling) and then insulated double wall for about 6 ft. outside. This stove is the best woodburning stove that I have experienced.
Others talk about coaling problems that I have not had issues with and I could not be happier with this unit.
It lights easily, heats efficiently, shows a GREAT view of the fire and always has a few hot coals to get the fire going again in the mornings.
This is just my experience for whatever that is worth.
You are more than welcome to come and see it in action at any time-we are planning the Iowa Spring GTG here again, so you could see it then, too.

Ron

Thanks Ron. I looked at the PE stoves and liked em, just not enough to justify the $750 or so more than the others I'm looking at.

Lord willing, I will be back down for the spring GTG.

Get yourself a nice used Fisher. It will heat a heck of alot better than most stoves. My FIL gave me his mama bear 10 years ago when he bought a P.E. Summit. Both of us think the Fisher heated the same as the Summit if not better without using much more wood.

Latest posts

Back