New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Proper looking load of chips on the one truck anyway!:oops:
View attachment 1093919
With my chip truck, ever since I upgraded Chippers to a 19xpc from a 1390HD the chips pack so tight that it blows a fuse everytime I dump. It's an electronic fuse that blows when things get to hot "takes about 1 min to cool down and then im back in business". Dare I say they installed too small of a hoist.

With my chip truck, ever since I upgraded Chippers to a 19xpc from a 1390HD the chips pack so tight that it blows a fuse everytime I dump. It's an electronic fuse that blows when things get to hot "takes about 1 min to cool down and then im back in business". Dare I say they installed too small of a hoist.

That sounds like a pita. I had pto setups installed in my chip trucks purposely after hearing various stories like that.

I also did have one electric over hydraulic setup in my first two wheel peel old Chevy. Was cool cuz it had a lift gate, but the dump was slow as hell going up (and down), and had no power down function to help lock it down.

Now I’ve heard everything.

World was also once considered flat….
its all in how you run it, the power rotate is excellent IF you dont know how to use a knockaround, only advantage it would give me is turning caps onto bottles, other than that, you lose capacity, lift height, more complex, more hoses and wiring to go bad, and more expensive to buy

its all in how you run it, the power rotate is excellent IF you dont know how to use a knockaround, only advantage it would give me is turning caps onto bottles, other than that, you lose capacity, lift height, more complex, more hoses and wiring to go bad, and more expensive to buy

Pa wouldn't spring for a rotator, eh Pimps?:laugh:

Is there a safety standard I'm missing?
for cranes its a requirement to have a minimum 3X the square footage of the stock float, on any surface
cant find a rule for bucket trucks, so I just follow crane rules regarding pads/cribbing
I put pads down for every setup, doesnt matter what im on, really soft ground I put cribbing down under the pads to spread load even more on the side im working off of

asphalt is rated for 29PSI
clay soil at 43psi
virgin ground at 22psi and concrete at 1000psi
source: Altec website
working straight off the front of your truck on level ground you might be safe without pads, but still goes against osha rules, working off the side is way more than 29PSI
playing it safe and assuming the outrigger holds 100% of the weight (it doesnt) my truck puts down 140PSI, cut that down in half or so because the tires hold so much weight still, with an empty box and no chipper connected im around 70PSI, and I have found that to be a bit much even on supposedly solid ground, ive sunk outriggers before, after that made it a policy to put pads or cribbing down

after more research, the rule of 3X the float is just a rule of thumb I guess, osha does leave it up to the operator to determine what is "enough" however, on just floats you are over 3X the ground pressure asphalt is allowed at
not saying I havent set up on it with no pads, half the cranes I see set up with no pads on roads, BUT they are free to put down, and may help keep another truck off its side

Yes. But sometimes not when we're on older asphalt.

Is there a safety standard I'm missing?

Hope you all are having a good holiday weekend.

I think Jeff is right. Pads good and there for a reason.

Just imagine a worst case scenario where the pavement has been undermined by heavy rains. Not that the pads that come with the trucks are the best, but better than nothing. I carry some oak boards for when I feel I need a little extra off the working side, or have to build up around a curb, etc.

I think Jeff is right. Pads good and there for a reason.

Just imagine a worst case scenario where the pavement has been undermined by heavy rains. Not that the pads that come with the trucks are the best, but better than nothing. I carry some oak boards for when I feel I need a little extra off the working side, or have to build up around a curb, etc.
holy sh!t, first time you have said something that even somewhat resembles agreeing with me!

We generally do use them though we did not in that particular situation. Thanks for the info. I stand corrected. Will apply pads in all situations.

Hahaha. Don’t feel bad, I have never worn a pair of chaps in my entire life and I never intend to.

I did have to wince a little for you at Pimples schooling you like that though. Ouch. Lol :laugh:

Back