New to heating with wood.... now for my saw..?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcsnover

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am new to this heating with wood exclusively life. I did it when I was a kid and teenager, but I am pushing 40 now and have not done it since. I have a new Poulan 42cc saw with a 20 in bar that I got at Sears, they have the same at Lowes, paid about 200 bucks for it. Any thoughts? I know it is a cheap saw but do you think it will hold up? Hold the snickers as much as you can and give me some solid advice. I could probably go about 300 to 350 on a saw but not much more considering my wallet right now. So, there it is, let me have it!
Oh, this is a really cool site, everyone seems super cool. Thanks.
Victor

Your Poulan might last for a season or two of steady cutting. I would look for a bit better saw, like a Husky 359 or a 570 if you get into bigger stuff. Also look at used saws, you can usually get a decent Stihl 026 or 031 for about $200. Most of the saws I use a lot are over 30 years old, the older ones seem to hold up better and take abuse better.

I agree, if you are going to heat exclusively with wood, you will probably need a better saw. I started with an MS310, but you might as well just find a way to get more money and buy a big saw now, youre gonna want to do it later!

MS660!!!

Good luck on your endeavor, I am somewhat of a newby myself. Im going into my third winter on wood only. It will probably end up devouring your life and before you know it you'll be thinking about chainsaws nonstop.

I bought my 575XP, ran maybe 4 tanks through it so far cutting big stuff, and now I do all my cutting with a beat-up $10 Homelite SXL-AO.

I bought my 575XP, ran maybe 4 tanks through it so far cutting big stuff, and now I do all my cutting with a beat-up $10 Homelite SXL-AO.

my dad suffered through 10 seasons with a wal mart poulan. then he bought a stihl and wanted to kick himself for waiting so long!

Before you make a huge investment I would try to make due with your saw for this season. Then if all goes well with burning buy a new saw. And if it looks like it is you could start saving for new saw. Maybe find friend or neighbor with Stihl or Husky and try it out to see difference.:)

Welcome to the party!

You've got the saw, it's bought and paid for, so there's no sense in second-guessing your choice. As suggested above, run it as-is this year and see how it works for you. You'll quickly figure out, based on first-hand experience, what works for you and what doesn't. And if you end up wanting something else to replace or supplement, then you'll make that decision from a position of recent experience and knowledge.

Another member posted a video (available on here and youtube) of the before and after of some muffler work on a 33cc (I think) Homelite. Tremendous improvements came from opening the muffler up and retuning. Food for thought, anyway.

What woodburning appliance are you feeding?

That will make a big difference on if you can get by with that saw. I got by for 3 years with a 42cc Craftsman, then I bought the Stihl and realized that I can cut 3:1 with the Stihl.

Your saw will work but a better saw will make it so much easier. I used a Wild Thing for a few years and moved up to a Husqvarna 359. The difference was night and day. I moved up to a 372 this year and in big wood the difference in it and the 359 is night and day. Buy the best saw that you can afford and you will not regret it.

If you haven't used the Poulan yet you'd be better off taking it back and putting some more money into a better saw. I'm not knocking your saw it's just that there are better choices out there.

Unfortunately, I gassed it up and ran it for a few minutes today already... oh well, I can use it for a bit and save up for a better one. Maybe Santa will bring me a new saw! Thanks so far for all of the advice.

Pretty much depends on just how much you plan to cut a year with it. If you need 3-4 cord that Poulan will last you a long time. Biggest thing is invest in a pro chain for it, you will be amazed at the difference. A poor quality chain will turn even a great saw into a pooch. Don't waste your time buying a chain from a big box store either, and truth is a lot of times the pro chain is cheaper to boot.

We get our chains from Baileys heres the link. Been running the Woodsman Pro line for years with no complaints, they hold an edge really well for us.

http://www.baileysonline.com/default.asp

You know, everybody knocks poulan pretty badly around here. I have a Patriot 1900 ( by Poulan ) that is 36 cc with no anti vibe and came new with a 12" bar and semi skip safety chain originally. Ok you can laugh, a little. After several years it still fires right off when cold and runs like a top. I didn't run it long before fitting it with an 18" bar and 91 VX chain that really has some bite to it. Around the first of the year I was feeling the bug to see if there was more in this saw that hadn't been tapped, there was. I opened up the muffler without getting carried away and the saw has more bark now to better match the bite. I wish I had done this a long time ago. BTW, the bore still looked good with some crosshatch showing. It is my goto saw after I have felled a tree. I have thought nothing of burying it to the spikes in Elm, Mullberry, Oak, Locust and Hedge. Sure the case is plastic, it wasn't expensive and it doesn't have the displacement of a saw 6x its price. After the first year it owes me nothing. I can cut firewood for a good part of the day and it isn't what wears me out.

I get some snickers from the yAhoos standing around the parts counter when one asks how my pull-on is cutting. I just say, I stihl don't have as much in it keeping it going as you spent to start with." I really do think that if you are going to have something you should take care of it. It will serve you well if well cared for. I cut for heat mostly. I burn 3 1/2 to 4 cords a year and sell another 5-6 as well. I get called on to help out a few friends with fireplace wood or storm damage. It has probably only cut 100 cords. The way it runs, it will easily cut another 100. I hope I never have to buy a bigger saw to heat my house. If my income depended on it , then , sure.

I'm not a big advocate of 400 - 600+ dollar saws. I'm not in the market for one. If I needed to make firewood faster I'd consider a bigger cc'd saw than my Mac 4600 and the Patriot. Anti vibe would be nice on the Patriot. But for what I am doing my line up works for me.

When the bug starts to gnaw at you for more power, what you have will make a working backup for a 2 saw plan.

Saws :
Homelite Super XLAO 32" bar, Neandersaw gets called on when the job warrants it.
McCulloch 4600 46 cc w/20" bar ( slight muffler mod ) It works when needed.
Patriot 1900 36cc w/18" bar, polished port, gasket matched and muffler modded, my goto saw.
Homelite Super 2-AO 12" hard nosed limbing saw. Always reliable and isn't a'skeered of heights. Serves double duty on cedars and brush.
Parts saws:
Homelite Super XLAO parts saw, maybe bring this one back to life.
PPro 260 42cc anti-vibe, prevoius owner lean seized it, going to be ready for spikes, a 22" bar from PP330 and a serious muffler mod.
Remington YardMaster no champion but it started it for me a long time ago.

I would vote for the Stihl Farm Boss. With a case, you can pick up the whole shabang for about $350. I've had mine for over 10 years and it is still goin strong. You can get some wicked ice storms down your way. So it's good to have two saws. If the stuff hits the fan, and you break your only saw, you don't want to be in line looking for parts or a replacment with all the other rubes.

vcsnover that might not be a bad saw for you to cut your teeth on so make the best of it.

You might want to hook up with someone that's an experienced wood cutter...there's are so many do's/don'ts/techniques that you could benefit from. Yeah cutting wood seems an easy pretty straight forward thing to do...but it's not as easy as it looks. good luck.

get rid of the safety chain that came with the saw and get a real chain. will make the saw cut better.

Sounds like that saw will do the job for the few cords you need to cut. Put a 16" bar on it and get some good chain. Either 91vx or 20lp depending on which pitch your running.

I have a 46cc Poulan and it is not worthy of pulling a 20" bar. Considerably better since I switched to 16".

I'd probably return it to Sears and buy a new or remanufactured Makita 6401 off ebay, you can get them for $300 to $350. The 6401 is much more of a pro saw, has a LOT more power, and will last you a long time. It will also leave you a lot of room for growth, plus you can change over to the 7900 P&C for $220 and have even more power if you ever needed it.

Get a couple loops of good chain for whatever you end up with...

Get a Stihl mid range saw or a used pro saw for your money. You will really appreciate the difference and time savings. A coworker used a saw exactly like the one you have for years (craftsman 42 cc range) and just upgraded to a MS290. He is sorry he waited so long.

You will save a lot of time with a saw upgrade.

Latest posts

Back