New to heating with wood.... now for my saw..?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like that saw will do the job for the few cords you need to cut. Put a 16" bar on it and get some good chain. Either 91vx or 20lp depending on which pitch your running.

I have a 46cc Poulan and it is not worthy of pulling a 20" bar. Considerably better since I switched to 16".

+1

Some benefits to an extra bar:
When you pinch the first one, you can remove the saw from the pinched bar, put the spare bar on, cut out the pinched one, and keep going.

The 20" bar is good for quick limbing, you don't have to bend over as much, but put the 16" bar on for more power in the thicker cuts where you need it.
-----
Use the factory provided chain for starters, learn to sharpen your own chains, OREGON makes a fine kit for hand-filing. It's only $6, comes with file, handle, filing guide, make sure you get the one to fit your chain size.
A sharp chain will bring out the most in any saw...very important.

Have a spare chain that you don't use, so when you are learning to hand file, you have a brand new chain to look at for what the cutters should look like when sharp.

For safety sake, especially if you are cutting alone in the woods, think about some PPE:
Chaps, proper boots, gloves, helmet/face shield/earmuff, just a suggestion.

--------

Get comfortable with cutting again, its been awhile, and there is plenty of time to get another saw, if this one proves to be reliable, then keep it. My Poulon WildThing is still running strong, it was a great first saw to learn on, and I still go to it when my limbs get tired from using a bigger saw. Great for clearing brush out a drop zone as well.

Good Luck with getting back into woodburning/cutting, take your time, and have fun. If you have more questions, there's cords of guys here to help.

I am new to this heating with wood exclusively life. I did it when I was a kid and teenager, but I am pushing 40 now and have not done it since. I have a new Poulan 42cc saw with a 20 in bar that I got at Sears, they have the same at Lowes, paid about 200 bucks for it. Any thoughts? I know it is a cheap saw but do you think it will hold up? Hold the snickers as much as you can and give me some solid advice. I could probably go about 300 to 350 on a saw but not much more considering my wallet right now. So, there it is, let me have it!
Oh, this is a really cool site, everyone seems super cool. Thanks.
Victor

just keep some extra sharp chains on hand, mix your gas/oil properly so as to not foul the plug and the saw should last you a while.

lotsa good advice so far....beware of gasoline with ethanol! Use non-ethanol gas if possible, and use a good mix oil whether it be Stihl, Husqvarna, or my choice Echo Powerblend. I mix 40-1 in all of my saws, and it doesn't smoke or foul plugs. Some may argue otherwise, but I prefer a little more oil than not enough, and particularly if ethanol is involved. If you have no choice but to use ethanol laced gasoline, mix no more than you'll use in a month,and keep the container sealed. If you don't use it in that time, run it in your lawnmower, snowblower, or truck.

The safety chain will cut ok if you keep it sharp. Learn how to sharpen properly even if you have to spend $20 for the Oregon clamp-on jig. Buy another chain, or bar and chain in case you get that one pinched. I will often sharpen the chain while taking a break.

I have a 2000 model 42cc Craftsman/Poulan $15 yard sale special. I bought it with no real expectations other than doing dirty work like cutting roots and stumps, but its been surprisingly durable. It lacks anti-vibe, but cuts OK. When the wood gets 10" and more its just a little slow. Its great for small limbs and trimming. I have bigger, better saws but this one gets used a lot because I have a lot of small, dead locust. Its pretty abrasive.

Be aware that some of the small Husqvarnas are just 36cc and 42cc Poulans in Husqvarna orange. Likewise, the Craftsman saws are Poulans. The small Stihls don't even have adjustable carbs, so don't get excited about brand names at the lower end of the price spectrum.

If and when you are ready for another saw, ask here for advice. There are good used saws in the Tradin' Post, some of the site sponsors have deals on new and used saws, and we may have leads on others.

Take your time and be careful. Chaps, boots, gloves, helmet/shield, ear protection!

all we can get around here is the 10% blend you can remove the alcohol from the gas its pretty simple add water to the gas shake it up really good let it set pour the gas off the top, the alcohol and water will be on the bottom it works we check for e85 in cars that run like crap at work this way, man when alcoholics figure this one out

I have a few saws but to be honest I use the Poulan 2000 with a 14" bar most of the time. I would get a shorter bar for your poulan then get a bigger saw later. I second the makita saws. I love mine, do a google search there are places you can buy referbs with a waranty for about what you want to spend.

Latest posts

Back