New to me 395XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weltall

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just picked up this used 395XP yesterday afternoon for $500. Was in pretty poor shape but it was quite pleasant to work on. Running strong for less than $100 on parts and some elbow grease. The oil pump may have an issue, but time will tell. Came to me with a 26" bar and chain that were in need of some love. I put on a new 20" bar and chain until I can fix up the others. Excited to have a REAL saw finally, and happy to have found this site.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20151027_105826.jpg
    20151027_105826.jpg
    991.2 KB · Views: 92
Sweet, but it needs a bigger bar so it can really earn its keep.;)

Ya know, even with a 20" I'll still be about 12" to long for the "trees" around here! Lol
I plan on moving up to Idaho or Pennsylvania in the next year, so it'll really come in handy then.
To tell y'all the truth, a 20" bar is hard to come by down here! The guy at the store asked what I was I was cuttin' that's so big!

Same here, 24 is more bar than I need but a 20 looks silly on them 3' long powerheads.

I'll think about doing all that sporty stuff later on. At the very least I have to wait until I figure out whats going on with the oiler...

I have a truck load of parts if I need something that's costly. Probably the plastic worm gear that drives it or its just stopped up. Never had a oiler bad on a 394\5 before.

Haven't gotten that far into the saw yet. Gonna have to do so soon. I have tried both full CW and 1.5 turns CCW on the adjuster, seems to be a tiny bit better CCW... If I let it sit, running, for about a minute it'll sling oil off of the portion of the chain that was under the oiler.

I believe it will open more than 1.5 turns. Take the bar of and leave the clutch cover off and start it and mess with the screw and c what u get. It should oil like crazy

Roger that, jmssaws. I'll do that once the boss runs out of honey-do's in the morning.

Thanks boss!

I know a west coast version will oil up to a 60" bar, it does need a longer bar mine lives with either a 42" or the 60" otherwise it makes my back hurt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Ya know, even with a 20" I'll still be about 12" to long for the "trees" around here! Lol
I plan on moving up to Idaho or Pennsylvania in the next year, so it'll really come in handy then.
To tell y'all the truth, a 20" bar is hard to come by down here! The guy at the store asked what I was I was cuttin' that's so big!
big cacti.jpg

Sounds like a good plan. Very good saw also, I got lots of saws but I usually run a 394/5 they are more comfortable in my hands. I complain about the outboard clutch but at least there's no e-clip to loose.

Back