New to me Bobcat 763- Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh, if you want to cover up the old unit numbers or touch things up with green paint, Sherwin Williams should have the correct paint code for Sunbelt Green, as well as PAI and some of the Napa stores that carry auto finishes. There is no green paint off the shelf that will match without standing out.

autobaun, thanks for the info on the paint, there are a few spots that could use some touch up.

Ok, looking at the Mobil 1 website, it looks like the best oil I could put in the rig is the Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40. It appears to be the highest rated oil they have and still meets Kubota's requirement that it be CF rated (understanding that the CI/J-4 rating exceeds the CF rating). Has anyone else put this oil into any off road diesels?

Secondly, does anyone here get the off road diesel for their skidsteers / tractors? I haven't looked for any around here yet, and don't know what the difference would be. I would think you wouldn't have to pay the highway tax, but is there much else different?

I used the Bobcat to push over two trees today in my woods. They were already dead, but not rotten, and one of them had hung up in another tree when the roots had given way and it leaned. Worked real well, I wouldn't have liked to have tried to cut the one stuck in the tree down. I guess I should have taken pictures, but it is hard when you're the one running the rig.

Once again guys thanks for all the help.

no real difference in on-road fuel vs off-road other than the tax, and unless you are burning a great deal of fuel it isn't worth going out of your way to find off road. In some places the off road isn't low sulfer quite yet, but in most places it is.

Secondly, does anyone here get the off road diesel for their skidsteers / tractors? I haven't looked for any around here yet, and don't know what the difference would be. I would think you wouldn't have to pay the highway tax, but is there much else different?

I used the Bobcat to push over two trees today in my woods. They were already dead, but not rotten, and one of them had hung up in another tree when the roots had given way and it leaned. Worked real well, I wouldn't have liked to have tried to cut the one stuck in the tree down. I guess I should have taken pictures, but it is hard when you're the one running the rig.

Once again guys thanks for all the help.

I have been using nothing but off-road diesel in my 743DS since I got it, I love skipping the tax and the filling station is the closest gas station to my house anyway (15 miles). I leave empty 5gallon diesel cans in my truck so that if I happen to drive by the place I can just fill whatever I have - I hate the idea of spending $$ to make a special trip to get diesel. This will help if the off-road dealer is further away for you - just plan your trips. I use a diesel fuel additive during the winter to prevent gelling.

Using the Bobcat to push over danger tress is awesome! I have lost track of the number of safe takedowns that I would have been far more difficult/dangerous otherwise.

Take a look at the stump grubbing buckets for the bobcat - you are going to run into trees that are too big for your machine unless you break up the roots, that can be murder on your gear/bucket. I paid $400-500 for a sump bucket with teeth (no grapple) and it works magic on the tough trees.

I have been using nothing but off-road diesel in my 743DS since I got it, I love skipping the tax and the filling station is the closest gas station to my house anyway (15 miles).
Take a look at the stump grubbing buckets for the bobcat - you are going to run into trees that are too big for your machine unless you break up the roots, that can be murder on your gear/bucket. I paid $400-500 for a sump bucket with teeth (no grapple) and it works magic on the tough trees.

May as well use the off road diesel to save a few bucks. As someone else said, its mostly the same fuel as on road now, but with the red dye and no road tax. Within a year or so all diesel will be ulsd by law.

I've been using my Deere to dig up birch stumps, and you are right, it's tough on the machine (unless the tree has been cut for several years, enough time for the roots to rot). Next spring I'll be taking down 8-10 40 ft balsams, which I suspect will be tougher yet.

I'd like to pick up one of those root grubbers. What should I look for? Any outstanding design features or preferred fabricators?

alan

I think these are the guys that I ordered mine from:

http://www.gatorattachments.com/attachments/grubber-bucket

It is simple and cheap. Delivery will be to a terminal because of the weight. I had the driver just push it off his truck onto the ground since I wasn't home (busted the pallet but the bucket was fine).

The teeth are important and replaceable. Serrated sides (as on some more expensive models) might be nice - I am pleased with the performance without them.

You probably already know this but it is not a super heavy attachment so you will be unstable - stick to the rules of keeping your heavy end uphill when operating in terrain.

Using it is all about technique. For small trees I just dig in under it and pop the tree out. For larger trees I finesse it a bit, work my way around 3 sides of the stump/trunk but without moving the skid steer from the same working spot, popping the larger roots one at a time and alternately pushing about 8' up on the trunk to work it over. When it finally goes I break the last side of the roots.

Another benefit is that you can double this as a trencher :) I have really been pleased at home much excavation work can be done with this narrow bucket without resorting to a backhoe.

Being into diesel performance for several years now the cam manufacturers have been really pushing running an additive in the last year or so. They have had to replace more cams in this time than in the last 6-7 years since they have become popular. bobistheoilguy has done some testing showing the lower zinc and phosphorus levels in the CJ 4 oil. My new truck is an emissions equipped and I have to run it in it. If it wasn't I would be running john deere oil or whatever is available in CI 4.

Being into diesel performance for several years now the cam manufacturers have been really pushing running an additive in the last year or so. They have had to replace more cams in this time than in the last 6-7 years since they have become popular. bobistheoilguy has done some testing showing the lower zinc and phosphorus levels in the CJ 4 oil. My new truck is an emissions equipped and I have to run it in it. If it wasn't I would be running john deere oil or whatever is available in CI 4.

Not sure I agree. I've been a Diesel advanced development engineer for a major Diesel OEM for 35 years. My responsibilities have included engine oil qualification and specification development fat an oem level. Consider this: Virtually no oem uses flat tappet anymore, everyone has gone to roller followers for performance and life.

As a result, there are no more high volume flat tappets produced anymore. All the stuff you get as service parts or hotrod parts is from smaller producers with old, low tech machines (repackaged and relabeled), is made in low volumes with minimal quality systems, or is offshore sourced. In the past, aftermarket tappets were relabeled parts from high volume, high quality domestic manufacturers.

I know that the oem that I worked for (till I recently retired) hasn't't made an engine with flat tappets for probably 15 years, and the switch wasn't't because the oil has degraded in that time. I think this is true with car engines (gasoline) also.

The other thing that's happened (my observation, not confirmed with data) is that it looks like the aftermarket cam grinders are pushing the envelope re valvetrain design and are pushing tappet /lobe contact stresses beyond safe levels for satisfactory life. It's easy for them to blame failures on oil composition and sell a high profit additive, which they are buying from one of a handful of additive formulators (we called the additives mouse milk) and labeling with their own brand.

What aftermarket supplier is going to tell you that the super duper high output cam he sold you is designed beyond accepted limits, but the trade-off is 3 extra horsepower?

I'm not saying definitively that you are wrong, but I do know dozens, if not hundreds of competent engine and lubricant engineers and chemists in the industry who share my views.

Alan

I know the oil is rated better, but it seems right after this change over lots of people were wiping lobes off their cams. Some were stock, some weren't. I am talking about the 5.9 cummins which is still a flat tappet cam as is the new 6.7. I don't know if my new 6.4 ford is or not. The 7.3 wasn't. You do have more experience than I do in all of them fields. I'm just a hillbilly that tried to make 700 hp out of a 5.9 cummins.

Are we talking about after market cams here, or factory cams. It would be hard to believe that the factory is putting things on the engines that would affect longevity. I have been thinking that they have been trying to get too much out of the diesels for a while now. Not sure why everyone with a Cummins or Powerstroke thinks they need to drive it like a Corvette. Kind of defeats the point of getting a diesel in the first place.

Has anyone tried the new Turbo Diesel Truck oil in there rigs. I have been thinking I would use this in the Kubota. Anyone see a reason why this is a bad idea?

I pulled another couple of trees out of the woods today with the Bobcat. It really makes it easier and more fun to get firewood that way.

It was both stock cams and some aftermarket. A couple of the trucks were stock or real close. Some of the others were 600 hp and up. Mobil makes good oil. The mobil delvac is good oil for a lot less than the turbo diesel oil. I Personally have used pretty much every oil that is available in walmart, oreilly, autozone, and advance. There isn't much of a difference in them. The main thing is to maintain and change on time. The napa brand oil is refined by valvoline and is a good oil also.

as stated earlier, the new cj rated oil no mater what kind is junk, the older ci rated oil is better. there is still ci4 available but its hard to find, i bought 30 gallons reserve for myself.

Latest posts

Back