New (to me) Stihl 028 Super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian_42

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all,
picked up a very nice Stihl 028 Super W/18" Stihl Rollomatic E bar, running a .325 pitch/.063 gauge chain. I think this is one of the best chains/lengths to run on the this saw, but I'll take any/all opinions. I was a little concerned when I got it (ebay purchase - $200), very hard to start, and slow to rev. I reset the carb screws back to one turn out, and it starts great, and screams. I fattened them up a little, would rather run her a little rich. My question is, I'm running 40:1 mix, if the previous owner was running 50:1, would this cause my little situation and need to adjust? I feel like I get a great deal, came with a real nice Stihl case. I'll post pics in a little while...

Hello all,
picked up a very nice Stihl 028 Super W/18" Stihl Rollomatic E bar, running a .325 pitch/.063 gauge chain. I think this is one of the best chains/lengths to run on the this saw, but I'll take any/all opinions. I was a little concerned when I got it (ebay purchase - $200), very hard to start, and slow to rev. I reset the carb screws back to one turn out, and it starts great, and screams. I fattened them up a little, would rather run her a little rich. My question is, I'm running 40:1 mix, if the previous owner was running 50:1, would this cause my little situation and need to adjust? I feel like I get a great deal, came with a real nice Stihl case. I'll post pics in a little while...

18" is just right for the 028s IMO carb tuning can very with altitude so if it needed re-tuning when you got it no big deal. The 028s are strong runners enjoy.

Congrats

Should be fine with that mix

Just give it a good tune-up (lines; filters and plug) :smile2:

I've run my 028S saws with 18-inch B&C in 3/8 .050 all the time. A bit more aggressive than the .325, but not hugely. Definitely has enough grunt to pull that 18 and 3/8 buried in hardwood. The slight change in mix ratio won't be an issue.

I've run my 028S saws with 18-inch B&C in 3/8 .050 all the time. A bit more aggressive than the .325, but not hugely. Definitely has enough grunt to pull that 18 and 3/8 buried in hardwood. The slight change in mix ratio won't be an issue.

I have an extra 3/8 sprocket, and I think I have an 18" bar hanging on the wall as well. Pretty sure I'll have to order a couple chains, but I'm all about a more aggressive pitch, have to give that a try.
Thanks much,
Brian

View attachment 231650View attachment 231651View attachment 231652

I'll probably end up listing the case on ebay, I have an empty Husqvarna power-box (stack better in the garage), that it's going to end up in... Thanks for the input, can't wait to get to the woods....

That's some bad juju. You can't put a Stihl saw into a Husky case. They won't be happy and they will fight all night long. The Stihl will win though....

I would run 16-18" .325 it will cut better with the smaller chain.

That's some bad juju. You can't put a Stihl saw into a Husky case. They won't be happy and they will fight all night long. The Stihl will win though....

Love that quote "That's some bad juju."

Brian_42 I wasn't going to say anything about the case but......

You could run a 3/8 b/c on that saw with no problem; I have a 028 with 3/8 18" b/c on one in the barn

Heck im running a 3/8 20" setup on my 261 :)

Do you guys think a 20" bar would be too much (running a 3/8" chain)? I could use the reach, and the saw does say "Super" on it....:)

Do you guys think a 20" bar would be too much (running a 3/8" chain)? I could use the reach, and the saw does say "Super" on it....:)

Depends on your wood your cutting

Up here the wood is a little softer than back east

Some saws here come with 20" bars were the same saw back east will come with 16" or 18" bars

Running a semi skip chain will make it easier on the saw also

Just boils down to what your cutting

First off, congrats on a great saw purchase! (need pics :smile2:)

FWIW, I run 18" .325 .063 full chisel on mine and it pulls great in hardwood. Mine is bone stock (for now anyway). It's cut around 12 cord of mostly oak since Novemeber with help from the 066 with no problems whatsoever. They are tough as nails.

First off, congrats on a great saw purchase! (need pics :smile2:)

FWIW, I run 18" .325 .063 full chisel on mine and it pulls great in hardwood. Mine is bone stock (for now anyway). It's cut around 12 cord of mostly oak since Novemeber with help from the 066 with no problems whatsoever. They are tough as nails.

Pics posted at the start of the blog....

Very nice saw. I'd say you have a wood cutting partner there. I sold my super, and wish now I never had. I loved the 18" bar combination with mine. Thanks for posting.

This is my second, I did the same thing, when I saw (no pun intended) this one on ebay, I was lucky enough to win...
Have a great day

Very nice. I have one and it doesnt look that good. Heres one of your pics.;)
231650d1333243109-2012-03-31_21-07-37-jpg

Last edited:

Well... this will be the second night the Stihl has spent in the Husqvarna case, so far they've played nicely... The matching Husqvarna Power-Box that's under the Super holds my muffler modded Echo CS-400, kinda funny, two Husky cases, with no Husky's in them...

I spent 2 1/2 hours this afternoon running my Husky 181 SE (32" bar), brought down a huge oak at a friend's farm, and cut that up. Any thoughts of the 028 Super being heavy have been greatly displaced by the monster that I ran today, going to sleep like a baby tonight...

Back