New to me - Timberwolf TW-P1 splitter w/ pics & 4-way Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnice_37

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Gents,

A couple weeks ago I picked up this new toy from a guy off CL. Paid $1300 and fired it up today. Its less than 2 yrs old. The 4-way wedge is broken, and I wanted to get some feedback to see if it's the right 4-way for this model. Maybe someone out there can post pics of their's so I can understand what's wrong with this design??

Here goes....

IMG_3480.jpg

The back strap broke when in use by previous owner.
IMG_3482.jpg

IMG_3483.jpg

As you can see, there is a lot of play, which probably allowed the wedge to twist too much on a nasty piece. I'm thinking re-weld the 1 seam, add another strap completely around the sides & back, and make a sort of tighter inner collar to lessen the amount of play.
IMG_3484.jpg

And the obligatory after shot:
IMG_3486.jpg

Nice looking splitter and another fine looking boxer also.

No idea why your 4 way is broke. Here is a pic of the correct wedge for you splitter, looks like the one you have. I would just weld yours back up and use it again.

TW-P1%204way.jpg

Snapped Strap

Do you think that strap could have been snapped if a knarled crotch had been jammed so tight that trying to withdraw it broke ?

I believe I would cut the other side to take up that slack between it and the main wedge. Then weld both sides and add another strap around the sides for additional strength.

Nosmo

Nosmo - that is exactly what I'm thinking happened. Expecting too much from a 20 ton / 4-way.

I used it broken on some pine that I had. I was loving it, probably cut through 20 rounds in around 10 mins. These are for the outdoor firepit, so no need for proper sizing.

I'm just going to weld it up, reinforce the back strap, and see how she does. I don't think I can take in any slack, that's some beefy stuff the wedge is made of.

I have a TW-5 and that does not look like the right wedge. I believe TW only makes one style 4 way that fits all there splitters. I dont have a photo, but I will tomorrow for you

Never saw a 4-way break like that

But that is the correct wedge for the TW-P1 splitter. When you do repair it make sure there's enough clearance so the 4-way can float on the main wedge as it's intended to.

Even though you bought it used, I would contact T'Wolf and e-mail the pics. They are a great company to work with and stand behind their products. I doubt they'll give you a new one but they may repair or replace it at a decent discount. You've nothing to loose, you can still rework the broken one.

Take Care

I have a TW-5 and that does not look like the right wedge. I believe TW only makes one style 4 way that fits all there splitters. I dont have a photo, but I will tomorrow for you

My TW-5 has a much wider fixed wedge. The TW-1 has a much thinner one. They're not the same.

That's the correct wedge for a TW-P1. I have the same thing.

My wedge snapped too. In my case, though, the strap broke right at one of the welds holding it to the wedge. My brother runs a fab shop so he welded it back up and it's been fine. A really knotty or twisted piece will twist that wedge enough that there's a lot of stress on it, apparently enough to break it. Nothing rocket science about just welding it back together, though.

Never saw a 4-way break like that

But that is the correct wedge for the TW-P1 splitter. When you do repair it make sure there's enough clearance so the 4-way can float on the main wedge as it's intended to

I've never used a 4-way but I learned something from your post. I didn't know there should be some slack in the strap so the 4-way can move freely on the main wedge.

I can see it needs to be able to move up and down so it will split different diameters of logs. I just didn't know there would be some play in between the strap and main wedge.

Nosmo

Last edited:
Back