New to me wood hauler and TOY!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valkyrie Rider

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Finally got the truck I've been wanting for some years.

'95 Dodge CTD 5spd 4X4. Will make an outstanding wood truck and will haul anything I pull behind it!

standard.jpg

Nice looking ride. I like a cummins in a pickup. Got an 11 myself. Make sure the killer dowel pin has been taken care of.

Nice looking ride. I like a cummins in a pickup. Got an 11 myself. Make sure the killer dowel pin has been taken care of.

Yup, dowel pin was taken care of!

Head is studded and o-ringed and was lightly ported, 4KGSK, 18 degrees timing, intake with big filter, 4" full exhaust, and #10 fuel plate with pump well tuned. NV4500 had the 5th gear nut fix as well.

I was going to mention that 5th gear nut. Nothing like a good 12v. Now all you need now is a TDR membership! I miss my 24 valve. Congrats on a awesome truck!

Yup, dowel pin was taken care of!

Head is studded and o-ringed and was lightly ported, 4KGSK, 18 degrees timing, intake with big filter, 4" full exhaust, and #10 fuel plate with pump well tuned. NV4500 had the 5th gear nut fix as well.

Sounds like you have all the bases covered. I owna near identical truck, and have fixed a timing case after the KDP dropped, AND rebuilt a transmission after the shaft broke from someones botched 5th gear repair. Not much left to go wrong eh...? :cool2:

Good deal then. Sounds like all the problem areas are taken care of. Should be good to go for about 500k then.:cheers:

Nice ride, good luck with her; how many miles?

166k now. Has a LOT of life left in it! Won't be my daily driver either... so I don't put a lot of miles on trucks.

My car on the other hand gets over 30k miles a year racked up with a 140 mile a day commute!

166k now. Has a LOT of life left in it! Won't be my daily driver either... so I don't put a lot of miles on trucks.

My car on the other hand gets over 30k miles a year racked up with a 140 mile a day commute!

That is a low mileage truck for the age. It should get pretty good mileage where the timing is set. Does it have 3.55 or 4.10 gears?

That is a low mileage truck for the age. It should get pretty good mileage where the timing is set. Does it have 3.55 or 4.10 gears?

3.55 gears. The 4:10s with the 5 Spd aren't much fun on the highway!

The truck was originally owned by an older guy who cot tired of the manual trans and then the guy I bought it from has had it since 2005.

Last edited:
Yeah the last 12 valve I had was 4.10s. It did pretty good on fuel with them. The timing was set at 20°. I could get around 19 on the interstate and 16 running around. When I put it back together I never thought it would do that good.

Yeah the last 12 valve I had was 4.10s. It did pretty good on fuel with them. The timing was set at 20°. I could get around 19 on the interstate and 16 running around. When I put it back together I never thought it would do that good.

The one that was basically identical to mine, but with 4.10 gears.... ran too high RPM to be a comfortable cruiser IMHO. The 3.55s are MUCH, MUCH nicer on the road..... and the motor has plenty of torque (ESPECIALLY with mods) to pull most anything down the road even with the 3.55s.

This truck will pull 10k like it's not there on highway rides, at speed.... and this part of New England isn't flat like some of the midwest!

I don't like cruising at 2500 rpms myself either. I like the 3.55s best. I wish my truck now had the 3.42 they offer with the 6 speed manual. If it wasn't for the wife I would have searched harder for a manual tranny truck with the 3.42 for the highway mileage.

Nice. That's exactly what I've been looking for. But not that nice, with a flat bed. I've got a 00 Ram 1500 gasser with a 318 and my 16" trailer loaded with wood makes her bellow a bit with true duals and twin Flowmaster 40s.

A 6 mile round trip to the woods helps, but she still ain't a pulling truck!

Sent from my T8788 using Board Express

Awsome truck.. I've been looking for one of those for awhile.

Hard to find one that is in good shape and the owner doesn't want a fortune!

Latest posts

Back