New to me Wood Hauler!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johndirt82

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Although a truck and not a saw , its still a tool used for firewood purposes.
79 f250 ranger, 400m 4sp manual, not a bad craigslist score, plus it came with the 8k warn winch on the front, can't believe someone donated it to a charity.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It would be interesting to find out a little bit of the history of that great looking truck.

It looks like the previous owner took excellent care of it. He probably never intended to let it go while he was able care for it.

Nice score !

I have the title from the original owner, Maybe it was a better tax write off than what they thought, they could sell it for. Idk. Since it was asked I only shelled out 1800 for it. The interior is all original , not even a tear in the seat. Pretty well built 400 intake, carb, headers and some cam work. I just converted it to an electric fan setup. Lincoln mark V111 2 spd with DCcontrols relay kit. works great plus a little mpg gain.

gees...that year truck around here...if still running....would have been rusted out completely.

i gotta run out to california when i buy one.

Great truck. Before they went over to all of the electronic gizmo crap that you need a PHD to figure out. Simple and bullet proof is just the way I like it.

I love it. You can get them pretty regularly in southern california in great shape. Most of them are super lifted though with tons of mods. This one is mostly original with no lift. Just what I was looking for.

that winch is a Warn 8274, which is very good one that will last and is easy to fix. good find by the way.

That brings back the memories. I bought a new '79 F-250 4X4, 400 4 speed back in the day. Was my first new pickup. Traction Lok front and rear. As soon as the warranty was over, I went to work on the motor, 351 Cleveland closed chamber heads, 750 Holley double pumper, cam, headers, etc.........

Congrats on the great score.:cheers:

$1800 for a 79 F250 4x4? Man...

One of the cars I drove in high school was a maroon 79 F250 4x4 with a 400, a C6, and a Western plow. Had a slight lift, a huge I-beam rear bumper (so I wouldn't back into any more trees with it when plowing and dent up the back...oops) and some reworked International dump truck springs in it, it would haul a load.

I beat the hell out of that thing on dirt roads, logging roads, ATV trails...my dad is as bad a gearhead as me. He said if the engine let go, he'd drop a 460 in it. Well, I can tell you that thing would do 53 mph in first gear, but it REFUSED to blow up. It wasn't fast, but it was a workhorse.

It was eventually replaced by an 89 F350 with a 460 that did better smoky burnouts, but was nowhere near the truck for the woods or overloading with wood/dirt/books (friend's dad was a used book dealer, I made some extra money hauling books occasionally).

The guy who bought the 79 was plowing with it and it backfired through the carburetor and had a little fire on the intake. Instead of doing something logical like throwing snow on it, he walked inside and called the fire department.

I visited the old truck at the boneyard, nothing salvageable left of it forward of the rear axles. I did dig under the seat springs and find the charred remains of one of the old license plates from when it was in my family, which I brought home with me.

Would like to have another, but I'll make do with my Subaru and trailers for now.

Sweet truck but you might want to look into the 400M oil line mod if you plan to keep the truck for awhile. The oiling system is weak and it tends to starve the rear main and rod bearings of oil over time. The solution is to tap into the oil gallery port on the front driver side of the block and run a line back to the oil port at the back of the intake. It is supposed to improve oil flow to the rear of the motor.

You got a killer deal on that my friend! There aren't many of those left in Maine either, all died any early death to cancer(rust). Very nice looking rig and a real truck to boot.

I absolutely love the old ford trucks. I thought It was a good deal. Well worth it for the condition its in. Runs great. I also have another 400 from a 71' on the stand in the garage , not that it needs it but I will start building up another motor for it just cause that and the rear main leaks like crazy. I was tired of beating up my good truck with wood.
This is my good truck. 08 dodge 2500 4x4 6.7 cummins
attachment.php

Back