Puchased new wood hauler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cerran

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well I finally purchased a new wood hauler this weekend after doing a lot of looking the past few weeks.

I ended up with a 1986 F250 XLT Package that was very clean with only a couple minor dings and runs very well. It has a 460 V8 which is fine since I only drive it maybe 1500 miles a year.

The only real things wrong with the truck were the in-tank fuel pump in the rear tank is bad and needs replaced and the clear coat is starting to peel.

I figure if I hold onto the truck long enough I can get it repainted.

The engine runs strong and needs a few TLC items like valve cover gaskets and a couple belts but nothing major.

The great thing is the owner has all the records including the original purchase receipt.

The best part? I paid $1700

I'm really looking forward to fixing the few minor things on this truck, adding some airbags to the rear axle and coming home with big loads of firewood.

View attachment 176841

View attachment 176842

Nice!! I'm a member of the '86 F250 family as well, but have the little brother 351W to your 460.

That thing'll pull some stumps if its a manual.

Me too! I am a Chevy guy, but I do like the work-horse Ferds of that era.

Nothing against Chevy Pickups either, it just didn't seem like there were as many Chevy 3/4 Ton pickups around here as there were Ford 3/4 Ton's. There were a few I looked at, but nothing that hadn't been pretty abused or was out of my price range.

I'm really looking forward to cleaning up the few odds and ends and then adding airbags and a new wood rack this spring for hauling full cords. It'll be nice to have a pickup capable of doing this for a change.

Nice ride!

Especially for the price!

460...man...good thing that truck will be making/saving you money. Gas (and diesel) is getting insane.

Especially for the price!

460...man...good thing that truck will be making/saving you money. Gas (and diesel) is getting insane.

Well it's replacing a Dodge W150 with a 360 V8 so nothing has really changed mileage wise. I'll likely get 10-12 MPG on the 460 and for as little driving as I do I'm okay with that.

Well I finally purchased a new wood hauler this weekend after doing a lot of looking the past few weeks.

I ended up with a 1986 F250 XLT Package that was very clean with only a couple minor dings and runs very well. It has a 460 V8 which is fine since I only drive it maybe 1500 miles a year.

The only real things wrong with the truck were the in-tank fuel pump in the rear tank is bad and needs replaced and the clear coat is starting to peel.

I figure if I hold onto the truck long enough I can get it repainted.

The engine runs strong and needs a few TLC items like valve cover gaskets and a couple belts but nothing major.

The great thing is the owner has all the records including the original purchase receipt.

The best part? I paid $1700

I'm really looking forward to fixing the few minor things on this truck, adding some airbags to the rear axle and coming home with big loads of firewood.

View attachment 176841

View attachment 176842

woooo,,thats in damn good shape for the age!!!!! niceeeeee

Well it's replacing a Dodge W150 with a 360 V8 so nothing has really changed mileage wise. I'll likely get 10-12 MPG on the 460 and for as little driving as I do I'm okay with that.

I'm thinking more like 8mpg.... Let us know what she really does! I get 12mpg in my 351.

I love those old Ford 460 engines. All the power of a diesel, without the high cost. They do suck gas though. Good luck with it. Very nice looking truck.
Jeff

Lincoln

Gf has a 79 lincoln with a 400. As long as you really don't put your foot in it, it isn't that bad.

Eventually I want to buy it from her and make me an el Linchero out of it....heheheheheh Man, there's a lotta steel in them old land yachts....

Good looking rig. Gott'a love them older Fords Like owning a tank

Rep sent

I'll give you 1750, and Poulan Wildthing.

Good truck, no doubt, and I know you aren't counting, but you won't get over nine mpg going downhill everyhwere.

Ok, 1800 and two Homelites off the shelf at home cheapo.

Nice looking truck! What tranny/gears does it have? That can make a difference in mileage although for 1500 a year it won't matter too much. There is a local lemon lot that has about the same truck for sale, asking 5K for it. Looks like you got a good one for a good price!

I'll give you 1750, and Poulan Wildthing.

Good truck, no doubt, and I know you aren't counting, but you won't get over nine mpg going downhill everyhwere.

Ok, 1800 and two Homelites off the shelf at home cheapo.

Mine got 11 with a carbed 460. keep it tuned and outta the secondaries and they arent too bad.

Back