New to me wood hauler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About a half gallon an hour wouldn't surprise me for just tooling around doing loader work. You're probably only demanding a third or so of your horsepower potential. That'll change dramatically doing PTO applications that place a constant heavy load on the engine where the engine is producing almost all the HP it can develop. Something like running a bush hog in dense grass, turning a generator with a heavy load on it, or powering a hydraulic pump on a processor or anything else.

Something where you just get it up to speed though won't necessarily use a lot of power. These little Japanese motors like to spin; I like to operate both of mine at at least 1800 RPM, even just doing loader work. The hydraulics are faster for the loader and I think the hydrostatic transmission and the engine itself are happier if you're not lugging it down. Even with a bump in rpm the fuel economy doesn't change much. It really just depends on how much power you're actually demanding in my experience. For running my PTO splitter I run my little 29 HP New Holland at 2500-2600 RPM. Even with that much throttle it runs a LONG time on the tiny little tank. It'll split several cords of wood and plow the driveway a couple times on a tank.

I run it generally around 15-1800 just hauling wood. 2500 is the pto speed. You look at the gauge and it says that 1/4 tank was used and it seems like a lot, until reality sets in and you remember that the tank only holds 6.2 gallons!

Nice machine. I have a 2005 JD 3320 with well over 3000 hours on it. Does everything for me. Mows, Plows snow, loads logs, 3 pt hitch splitter works off the hydraulics. I use a box loaded with concrete as a counter weight. If you do the basic maintenance on these tractors they last a long time.

I run 2 bale spears instead of forks on my old David Brown with a 4ft high guard to keep logs or whatever from falling back onto the tractor. I can unload logs off a hay rack with it and its great for shoving brush into a pile then picking up the whole pile in one shot. Picking logs off the ground doesn't result in huge divots.

I run 2 bale spears instead of forks on my old David Brown with a 4ft high guard to keep logs or whatever from falling back onto the tractor. I can unload logs off a hay rack with it and its great for shoving brush into a pile then picking up the whole pile in one shot. Picking logs off the ground doesn't result in huge divots.

I like that idea for pushing brush piles up, for sure.

The bale spear attachment will also stab into a bundle of slabwood, very handy to move a bundle right beside the owb and those are tricky to move with forks especially if they are stacked. I think my spears are 39" long which seem to work well for firewood and won't stick out the other side of a big hay bale.

Nice looking machine.

From what I have read, watch the front axel seals.

I asked the mechanic about that when I bought it from him. He said they have not had much issue with these and that it was a former style of front end that was worse. We will see.

Latest posts

Back