New to me XL-12

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sty57

Tree Freak
Reaction score
4edehudy.jpg
avahyma2.jpg
yhu3aty5.jpg

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk

All the tanks were dry and clean.
Going to try to pop it off tomorrow night....it's cold and rainy tonight.

Can anyone get me close to the year of build.
It has a seven digit serial number. The WICK fuel filter is still in the tank. And I have not seen to many with the black and white decals on them, most I see have black and red.
Thanks

It's Alive!!!!
I finely had some time today to play around with it. I like it when all you have to do is clean them up and put some new fuel in and off they go.

Brings back memories of the '70s. Powerful and light. You just filter out the recollection of the db-level and the vibes. I'm guessing this saw won't be your primary work saw. :rolleyes:

Lots of mfgs came out with their copies of the XL-12, or tried to. Lombard & Pioneer come to mind.

No this is not going to be my primary saw.
I just always have had a soft spot for old Homelites as that is what both of my Grandpa's had when I was little.
Now I need to start looking for a C-5 or a C-51.

Just remember to be prepared like I wasn't today. I took 3 saws to cut up some wood today, one of which was my XL901 which I thought ran good. It was okay until I stuck it in some wood and it just died. I couldn't remember all I've done to this saw but apparently carb cleaning and fuel system maintenance wasn't part of it. I ended up cutting up some big (to me) wood with my Husqvarna 350. My third one was a Mac 700 which had a problem with the chain, haven't looked into it yet.
I underestimated my preparation: After further looking, the Mac had the wrong gauge chain on it, I think it was a .058 or .063 but it sure wasn't a .050. The chain tightened up immediately after warmup and stopped.

XL-12...slow, noisy, heavy, vibrate like a drum...but with very little care or attention they'll run forever. I know a guy who bought one new in the early 70s, cuts five or six cords every year, and the only thing he's ever done is change a spark plug and wash out the airfilter.

XL-12...slow, noisy, heavy, vibrate like a drum...but with very little care or attention they'll run forever. I know a guy who bought one new in the early 70s, cuts five or six cords every year, and the only thing he's ever done is change a spark plug and wash out the airfilter.

....slow and heavy does not describe my XL, It cut's quick and only slows somewhat if the bar is buried and forced in dense hardwood. It is very loud and I'm sure the sound of me cutting firewood upset some of my neighbors over the years, except when I was cutting trees that fell on their yards, cars, driveways etc. w Hurricanes/Ice storms. It will numb my hands if I run it for hours. I enjoy stopping every 20 mins or so to add bar oil I pump out generously while I'm cutting . It is a fine all around saw for felling ,limbing, bucking, w a 20" bar and dependable..........what more could you ask for in a 70's era chainsaw???

Latest posts

Back