New to Milling ????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just take a look at the GB chain before you start cutting so you can remember what it looks like when it's time to sharpen. The first time I sharpened it, I got the angle for the scoring cutters and clearing cutters backwards. I had to take off a lot of metal to fix that one...

GB chain is about 2x the cost of standard ripping chain, and is trickier to sharpen, but will give you a smoother finish. It comes down to personal preference - whether you prefer to spend time maintaining a chain or do more planing on your lumber after it's milled.

In any case, it's time to get good at sharpening. Most saw shops will look at you funny when you bring in a chain with "half of the cutters missing."

So about 24" is what I should stay under so I do not kill my saw. That is ok b/c those boards will get heavy as they get wider.

I think a 660 would be nice, I do not want to get into 404 chain with an 880.

Are husky's better for milling b/c of the air filter set up???

I ran 3/8" chain on a 3120 with no issues whatsoever, ripping, often to the limit of my 36" mill.

I made due with a 6400 with a 24" bar for a little while, it held up all right and didn't cut too bad, but bigger does make a difference. When you put on your aux. oiler, I suggest using canola oil in it. I use it in both my saw and the aux oiler for most of my firewood cutting and for my milling, it works great and costs a lot less. Ripping chain sure does give you a better finish...man I gotta get out and do some milling.

hey redoakneck, you say there is free wood all over, how do you find it do you put ads on craigslist asking if anyone is willing to let you cut their tree's down?

I am new to milling. This is my situation.

I have a 7900 with hd air fiter. I can sharpen my own chains. Free trees all over, walnut, locust, sycamore, ash, oak, elm and maple. Mostly 16-28" diameter at the trunk at shoulder height. I do not have much help and work alone mostly.

I was going to get the 36" alaskan mill, a helper handle, brackets, woodland ripping chain for a 28" bar, and an auxiliary oiler. I will set up a pulley system to pull the saw thru the wood. I will mill most of the trees where they fall into as big of boards as I can carry/load.

1- Is ripping chain a lot better than cross-cut chain?? It is cheap, but a few
have said you don't need it.
2- Am I going to kill my saw?? I have 2 extra air filters to change out on site as
needed.
3-Do you spray or coat the ends of the boards/logs??
4- Any comments appreciated.
5-Where do I get a remote throttle for a ps-7900

pete

1. Better finnish
2. enough milling yes!
3. yes asap
4. Keep it simple you will never be able to run any faster than your chains.
5. kiss

Back