New to the game

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First off I what to thank all those who make this a great site!!
I am new to owning a tree service, just started in the past month. I pass out fliers and have 3 ads running in local newspapers. I am wondering about the pros and cons of hiring a sales person to give estimates and find new leads. What would the pay scale be?
I own a mobark model 10 chipper, F-350 with a dump insert with 4' sides as a chipper truck, F-450 flatbed to pull a 20' tandem axle trail for the wood removal, SAWS, ms200t,ms310,ms361,ms660. Any input would be much appriceated.

salesperson

Someone my friend knows is an estimater for a local tree service and he is making $250 / day. But he's been in the business for 20 yrs and knows what he is talking about. I also have a new tree business but would not consider hiring someone just for estimates at this time. Is your concern not bidding correctly?

No, my concern isn't bidding correctly. My issue is being in the trees all day then having to answer calls and set up estimates. The time factoris my concern
Frog

ya i hear ya,
i have a toll free number,and i make that dial into my fathers house,becuse he is almost always there,(disabled)
and he doesent mind taking the calls,
if you know someone in the fam that could do this for ya it would be helpfull of course.
but many wont be so lucky and have to hire someone.
what i do tho,is call them back latter that day or next.
to setup est,for the weekend wile im not working.
ya,this kinda sucks cus you dont get sat off,but i dont mind it,that way,i can keep working durring the week,or fit an est,in if im working that town or close.
hope some suggestons help here.

salesperson

Yeh, I know what you mean. Do you have a trustworthly worker to leave on the job while you go bidding? If you do get a salesperson give them a small hourly wage and offer them a commission on the sale. That should be a good incentive for them to sell there a** off.

Back