New Chainsaw Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbouley010

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Brand new here and feels great so far; seems like a great community. So hopefully we can keep this civil for this newbie.:buttkick:

Thinking about finally getting my own saw. I've been using a Stihl MS261 for the past 6 months at work and enjoy it. What are some pros/cons of this model or some comparable make+models? I'd be doing some felling, lots of bucking and limbing, and I am thinking about possibly trying some basic chainsaw carvings. Tips/advice/experience highly welcomed.

I read your headline, and my first thought was that there is no new chainsaw advice! :D All the advice available has already been given by someone to someone at some time!

The standard advice is to check out your local dealers reputations, and go from there.
Good luck in your hunt for a new saw. Whatever brand and size you decide on, rest assured it will be wrong in many posters eyes, and will be an excellent choice in an equal number of eyes as well!

Ted

If you're already familiar with the MS261, that would likely be a good choice for a primary saw. Then you will likely want a smaller saw, especially if you do any carving. Then maybe a bigger saw down the way...

Welcome to A.S.!

What FOP said.

You described several different tasks, so it is hard to pick one saw that will do it all. The MS 261 is a good 'all around' saw; about 50cc and a 16' or 18" bar. But it won't cut through larger logs, or fell large trees as well as a 60-70cc saw with a larger bar. That saw is too heavy for limbing. So many guys start with one mid range saw, and work towards a '3 saw plan'.

Think of it like golf: nobody plays with just one club (and they are chasing that same little ball the whole game!). Trees vary in size and type!

STIHL, Husqvarna/Jonsered, Makita/Dolmar, and Echo all have their fans. Some of it is personal preference. Some of it may be based on a good, local dealer of one of these brands near you that can give you good support.

Philbert

P.S. guys here on A.S. tend to have multiple saws. I forgot about the carving, which often requires a smaller saw, running 1/4" chain, and a 'dime tip' bar. Based on your experience with the MS 261, does it feel to be 'about the right size'? Too big? Too small?

What you get will depend on what you like to use, and what size wood you plan to cut. I have no experience with the carving, so I will stay away from that one, except that I think they generally use a different narrow tipped bar to do that.

Not sure if you are looking for new or used.

For new saws the Stihl MS 362 C-M or Husky 562 are hard to beat as all around saws, and they have auto tune / M-Tronic so you don't have to tune them.

If you like to tinker, and get something used, I think the 044/440s are hard to beat. With a new air filter and dp muff cover, they run very strong and will cost a lot less than a new saw.

Most serious users like to stick with the pro level saws. They generally last longer and have better power to wt ratios.

If you have more specific questions fire away, the folks here will trip over themselves to give you answers, a good thing!

Before saying anything, it would help to know what size trees you'll be cutting, and what you'll be cutting them for. (Firewooders do lots of their cutting in the tops.) We don't even know where you are, for guessing what sort of forest is there.

Locking yourself in to one brand, or pro-only is possibly overly limiting. Becoming dependent on a dealer is mostly a bad idea.

How many saws you can afford is important too. Some like a light, nimble saw for limbing and larger for felling/bucking. Examples 40/60 cc, 50/70 cc. You'll probably find yourself using the smaller one lots more than you initially thought. With current saws available, except maybe for PNW loggers, one of the better 60 cc saws would cover your needs on the big end. Of course, you may want 120 cc.

If value is important to you, you might want to visit VMInnovations dot com, or a Dolmar or Echo dealer. Or talk to dealer sponsors here.

Thanks for all the responses. For a little more info I won't be felling anything about probably 18"dbh, but I could end up bucking up some larger stuff. I've bucked up a few >18" diam. trees on using the work saw. I'll be doing all of my cutting in northern Wisconsin and northern Minnesota so lots of pine mainly. I might end up buying the Stihl MS 261 from my work at a discount at the end of the season (not worried about abuse since I've been using it since we got it). Any carvers on here have suggestions on a nice smaller size saw for in the near future?

You might want to attend this, watch, and ask those guys:

"10th Annual
Hackensack Chainsaw Event
September 26-28, 2014

We're celebrating 10 years of chainsaw carving. Some of the nation's top carvers are returning - names like Bob King or Dayton Scoggins. There will be 12 carvers working their magic with logs and chainsaws. The three day event includes the All American Lumberjack show, quick carves, food and arts vendors. The show concludes with an auction of the pieces carved, which starts at noon September 28th. Admission is $5, good for all three days. Free parking and shuttle service."

http://www.hackensackchamber.com/index.cfm?PageID=5857

Philbert

Thanks for the heads up Philbert, only problem is that's the weekend of my wedding. Any leads on any other events like that in MN or WI. I was just at the world lumberjack championships in Hayward, WI but not much (none) carving there.

Don't know about carving, but if you want one saw for all the other activities go with a 60cc saw or 70cc saw. If you anticipate multiple saws for all but carving then I would pivot my selections around a 70cc saw. My three saw plan is a little larger because I run old saws and cut some larger stuff - 60cc, 82cc & 123cc. If I had all new stuff, I would sample a 50cc, 70cc & 90cc approach. Ron

ms201, 192. both would be a fine carving saw. 201 Is more powerful if you want to put a 16" on it for tops.

Back