New to the site! Looking for a good splitter.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cBirdman

Reaction score
Hello guys,

Great site! I'm sure you got tons of people asking, I read a few and wanted some more info.

I'm looking for a good log splitter to split about 10-15 cords a year? Here are a fews options I'd like to have.

1. Honda Engine
2. 4-way wedge
3. a good working height splitter

I looked at alot of splitters and can't decide on one. I like timberwolf, TW-P1 was nice but no vertical but has the 4 way wedge. Then if I go TW-HV1 it was the vertical split but no 4 way wedge option. I heard you don't want to use the 4 way on the vertical, thats fine but would like it for the Horizonal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Happy Veteran's Day!! Chris

I'm in the same boat.

Been out looking at splitters for a month. The two that impressed me the most were the Timberwolf and the American CLS. I'm leaning towards the American due to features and dealer support.

One local dealer is bringing in Iron & Oak, so I'll be looking at those later this week.

My neighbor has a horizontal / vertical Speeco. Works ok but we never use the vertical feature. The PS 7900 does a good job of halfing or quartering if needed. I'll definately go with a horizontal and 4-way set up.

One other thing to consider depending upon where you'll be using the splitter is ground clearance. If you'll be in the yard or a landing most of the time it's no big deal, but if you'll be towing this thing into the woods with you definately spring for the larger tires and wheels.

If you do a search, you'll find many excellent threads covering manufacturers and models.

Good Luck and Take Care

Last edited:
loads of threads... do a search

american, timberwolf, iron & oak... if you've got the $$$$. get ready to spend 2x-3x the $$$ but you get a american made quality piece of gear.

most bang for $$ belongs to speeco/TSC for 22ton or 35ton. loads of great feedback. some issues with bent foot for 35ton, speeco cust service has been great.

harbor freight feedback has been spotty... some really like em... some will not touch another with a 50ft pole. lots of hydraulic leak issues.

ignore tonnage ratings by mfg.... go by how splitter is equipped instead. HP, GPM pump, cylinder diam, cycle times

don't purchase a horizontal only splitter without a lift/table
vertical is better for handling monster size rounds. horizontal is better for 4way and 6way wedges. need a min of 5in cylinder for four way, which should be removable/adjustable

Last edited:
If you plan on splitting managable size logs I wouldn't be too concerned with limiting yourself to models that operate vertically. I had a TS 22 ton that worked great and I only used the vertical option a couple of times. It seemed really awkward to me. If you're dealing with monster rounds go with the lift option. If you're planning on doing 15-20 cords I'd definitely go with something with a decent cycle time. First couple of times I used mine I thought it was great but after about 10 cords it seemed like it took days to go up and back. I ended up ordering a Super Split...just waiting for the call to go pick it up. Check out the American 25HH or the Iron & Oak Fast Cycle.

Hey thanks for the replys! I'm still looking into what to get. I really want a 4 way I think it would be alot faster and easier. From what I found out so far doesn't look like anyone makes a vertical/Horizonal with a 4 way. Not really sure how much I would use the vertical postion anyway? The trees that I'll be splitting are not super huge. I'll be able to lift nearly all of them.

Anyone have the timberwolf TW-P1 or the TW-HV1?

Chris

northern makes a four way that fits on the ram, speeco has been working on one and will be available soon.

problems with ram mounted fourways in vertical position are.... YOU are positioned right in front of working ram. this puts you in danger of getting wacked by flying pieces of wood as top layer splits off.

I really want a 4 way I think it would be alot faster and easier. From what I found out so far doesn't look like anyone makes a vertical/Horizonal with a 4 way.

Keep an eye on craigslist and backpage. My buddy and I picked up a pristine American CLS 24HH on craigslist for $1350. The splitter was bought by a guy in the burbs to split up a couple trees cut on his lawn, then sat in his garage for the next 4 years.

Thanks again for the replies. I'll check into speeCo. I also been looking in Craigslist for a good deal. Never heard of back page, but I did look and no good their either. My buddy can get me 15% off at TSC on a Husky but wanted a honda engine. They do have the small splitter with the honda engine. Maybe I'll check that one out. Just want the best for my money and there are SO many units out there.

WOW... what a deal!

how come all the really good splitter deals are all on the east coast?

Keep an eye on craigslist and backpage. My buddy and I picked up a pristine American CLS 24HH on craigslist for $1350. The splitter was bought by a guy in the burbs to split up a couple trees cut on his lawn, then sat in his garage for the next 4 years.

I would go super splitter. I know I sound like a broken record saying that. But I really think it's the best splitter on the market. I can't see spending over 3k on a splitter that give you less production and costs more to operate. How many threads are there on here with people asking about problems with a super split? Not many if any and for good reason. Now I wouldn't get one if you don't like work. It splits so fast you don't have time to wait around for the cycle to complete. And year it will split gnarly knots and crotches.

Scott

fast Splitter

For firewood, I'm a fan of the super split.
When dad brought it home 10 years ago i was quick to argue for a hydraulic, but after using it, it is about the fastest splitter I've tried. It's been in the family now for 10 years and Ive only replaced spark plugs and drive belts.

Latest posts

Back