New Toy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice ride! I'm still flogging my old '96 Dodge with 210k miles. I'd probably buy a Chevy if I could afford a new one though.

Nice truck! I bought a newer truck couple months ago. Was looking for an 07 or newer Chevy crew. But couldn't find one I liked. Ended up getting an 06 f150 lariat! I love it!

At least you didn't buy a dodge!

I work in auto salvage and will say there really isn't one american made truck thats much better than the other. They all have their own issues, quirks, and known to fail parts. Currently my trucks are all Dodges, remember I am in the parts biz, but what I would really like to see is a 3/4 or 1 ton Toyota. I had heard rumor of one some time back, but the gas prices kicked up and it got nixed.

Ih

I work in auto salvage and will say there really isn't one american made truck thats much better than the other. They all have their own issues, quirks, and known to fail parts. Currently my trucks are all Dodges, remember I am in the parts biz, but what I would really like to see is a 3/4 or 1 ton Toyota. I had heard rumor of one some time back, but the gas prices kicked up and it got nixed.

IH made some nice pickups back in the day. They were stupid strong and got suck mileage and cost a lot though.

OK, design theory: design the perfect one ton pickup, mix and match what you think would be the best possible combination of components from different manufacturers. Strength, reliability, mileage, all the best of the best. You see what fails and more importantly what doesn't fail.

We did something like this at the gunshop, looked to see what *didn't* come in for repairs.

Top 0 the heap was remington 870 shotguns. Not really a mix and match, just all the components taken as a whole worked great.

Hmm, if you look around what is still running after decades of use and abuse...I'm gonna guess here based on craigslist ads....old ford standard drives, chevy 4x4s, and any of the old real power wagons. Toprqueflight auto trannies semed to have hung in there well. Engines hit or miss....slant six but they eventually fell out of favor due to not enough HP to suit people, but they sure worked for a long time in an amazing variety of vehicles. Cummins diesel (they need to make a good mileage pickup with a four banger)

The toyotas though, that top gear exercise to kill one..pretty impressive.

My datsun diesel, sooo close....no USA factory 4x4 option. rats....I've looked into it, too much hoop jumping for a conversion for me to want to do it.

this is my second, last one had 150,000 miles, traded it in for moma's Traverse 2 years ago, and I needed another.

Cars and engines are capable of alot more than most people think. The key is good maitainance. Perform all service at recommended intervals. Sometimes you even should cut the factory recommended intervals in half. For example, my '99 Saab 9-5 manual says to change the oil every 7,500 miles. Hmmm? Maybe that's why so many of 'em blow due to oil sludge issues? No thanks. It'll be Mobil 1 synthetic every 3,000 and a Baldwin or Wix filter every 1,500 for me.

A person's car hits 100,000 miles and they think its gonna fall apart suddenly. 100,000 is a big number, but it doesn't represent the end of a cars' life. That is less than 2,000 hours on the engine. For a modern day gasoline engine, that isn't even half of what it can do.

Got a half ton Chevy with the 350 in it that has over 200,000 miles on it. Doesn't burn any oil. Runs really smooth.

Invest in a vehicle. Take care of it. It will return the favor with a long service life.

I agree,100,000 miles is nothing any more.

Back in 1984 my Dad and I were shopping for my 1st car,if it was anywhere near 100k he wouldnt even look at it.

A while back, I saw a prototype photo of a 4x4 1 ton dually Toyota pickup...mean looking truck!

Kevin

Nice choice, take care of it and it will take cre of you.

Keep an eye on the hard brake lines, there are corrosion issues and they WILL rot out on you at some point. I found this out in traffic when my rear line blew out on me and the pedal went right to the floor on the 2000 3/4ton.

Also keep an eye on the rocker panels. the 99-03 extended cab models seem to be highly prone to water intrusion inside the rockers and they rot from the inside out. I've never been sure how the water gets in there, but the damage is always worst at the rear of the cab, moves forward and is definitely rotting from the inside out. I suspect that the water comes right off the front tires and just enough snakes its way into the rockers and never gets out, virtually all the ones I see with rotten rockers do NOT have front mud flaps.

Its a good truck though, just remember that some green woods like oak are dense enough that you could overload that thing if you don't pay attention.

Keep an eye on the hard brake lines, there are corrosion issues and they WILL rot out on you at some point. I found this out in traffic when my rear line blew out on me and the pedal went right to the floor on the 2000 3/4ton.

My 2000 Blazer did the same thing. Both rear lines went out within 3 years and in the same locations. Not sure if it was from the salt because it was washed weekly. I was thinking it was from the sand being kicked up from the tires.

Latest posts

Back