New Toy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rarefish383

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Just got this yesterday. As soon as I get back from my knee rehab, I'm going to run a couple thin slabs through it. I milled some fir, for floorboards in my trailer, and when I posted pics of them, I had several people email me that they would like to buy one to mount their rifles on. I also made display boards to mount Lionel trains on, Joe.

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
. AS Supporting Member.
That is indeed a nice sander.
The father of an octogenarian at our Community Mens Shop made this drum sander about 90 years ago! on a farm.
It came to us with a massive 3HP 3 phase motor on it so we swapped it out for a 2HP SP motor.
The drum is held at a fixed height and the table height is altered by turning the large gear wheel at the front of the table
We added a belt guard and the the dust extraction port as it makes a lot of dust.
It does a great job as longs as you remember to feed the stock the right way.
Sorry about the poor mobile phone photos
2015-06-12-13.52.39.jpg

2015-06-12-13.53.48.jpg

Attachments

• 2015-06-12-13.52.49.jpg
    2015-06-12-13.52.49.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 7
rarefish383

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I was getting ready to order a new Grizzly. They were $865 plus $99 shipping, No in and out feed tables and no casters. This one came up on craigslist with the castors and tables, about a dozen rolls of sand paper, different grits, for $850. Can't wait to get a spot cleaned out for it.

Bob, farmers can and do make almost anything.

My Dad was my child hood hero, never wanted to be a sports hero or famous actor. But, one fellow I would loved to have met, and really admired was Burt Monro. If he made half the stuff they say he did for his world record holding Indian motorcycles, he's getting close to being one of my hero's, Joe.

Woos31

Woos31

Addicted to ArboristSite
Just got this yesterday. As soon as I get back from my knee rehab, I'm going to run a couple thin slabs through it. I milled some fir, for floorboards in my trailer, and when I posted pics of them, I had several people email me that they would like to buy one to mount their rifles on. I also made display boards to mount Lionel trains on, Joe.

HOLD UP!!! Let's talk more bout that savage 99..............243, 250, 308.....??? Never seen one with that telescope set up before, that is really neat. I really like how you mounted your rifle on the slab too, very sharp lookin sir. Just don't see many old lever savages anymore so I got sidetracked lol! Safe milling out there

rarefish383

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
HOLD UP!!! Let's talk more bout that savage 99..............243, 250, 308.....??? Never seen one with that telescope set up before, that is really neat. I really like how you mounted your rifle on the slab too, very sharp lookin sir. Just don't see many old lever savages anymore so I got sidetracked lol! Safe milling out there

The Savage is a Model 1899 H take down in 22 Savage HiPower. It was made the first year of production for the HiPower, 1912. The scope is an original Malcolm 3X. I sent for a letter from the Savage Historian. It came back stating that the rifle was originally sold to the Malcolm Rifle Telescope Company. So the scope is original to the rifle. About the time I got it I tore the retina in my right eye and was afraid to shoot anything till it healed. These are the only 3 shots I've fired from the rifle so far. This is off a bench at 50 yards with the original settings on the scope. I didn't adjust anything yet. Ammo is long out of production. To make cases I have to run 30-30 brass through a set of 250 dies, then 25-35 dies and finally 22 HiPower dies. Shoots pretty good for being over 100 years old, Joe.

Woos31

Woos31

Addicted to ArboristSite
The Savage is a Model 1899 H take down in 22 Savage HiPower. It was made the first year of production for the HiPower, 1912. The scope is an original Malcolm 3X. I sent for a letter from the Savage Historian. It came back stating that the rifle was originally sold to the Malcolm Rifle Telescope Company. So the scope is original to the rifle. About the time I got it I tore the retina in my right eye and was afraid to shoot anything till it healed. These are the only 3 shots I've fired from the rifle so far. This is off a bench at 50 yards with the original settings on the scope. I didn't adjust anything yet. Ammo is long out of production. To make cases I have to run 30-30 brass through a set of 250 dies, then 25-35 dies and finally 22 HiPower dies. Shoots pretty good for being over 100 years old, Joe.

Ah man that is a cool story! I bet that rifle could tell some stories. Much appreciate the history of your fine weapon and the processes for sizing brass down to the 22 hipower. Thank you sir and congrats at being the lucky owner