New Tractor and Winch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet setup! Nice to see someone besides me with a red and silver machine, mine's just 36 years older than yours.

Dare I ask what that setup set you back?

I don't have BTD, but this time of year TWHCS (Tractor With Heated Cab Syndrome) strikes something fierce, and doesn't go away till the grass turns green again. I've kept it under control by keeping the checkbook nearly empty!

The winch is amazing, I logged my place a couple of years ago, and I used a Ford 5000 (in the bush) and Massey 399/Ford 9000 (for the fence rows) these are the FIL's tractors. My woodlot had not been harvested in 50-60 years, so there was alot of crowding. I had a few trees get hung up and it would take all day and 2 tractors to pull them free. I pretzeled a couple of draw bars in the process. I am still finishing the firewood trees and will say no more problems with hang-ups, just hook the butt and pull it down.

Sweet setup! Nice to see someone besides me with a red and silver machine, mine's just 36 years older than yours.

Dare I ask what that setup set you back?

I don't have BTD, but this time of year TWHCS (Tractor With Heated Cab Syndrome) strikes something fierce, and doesn't go away till the grass turns green again. I've kept it under control by keeping the checkbook nearly empty!

OOOOOHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suppose ya don't need a heated cab.
I couldn't tell ya.

Wait till the snow flies and I'll post ya some pics.... sure is nice having a 200W stero pushin' tunes while pushin snow.:hmm3grin2orange:

Lemme help ya a bit.
New Wiper Motor= $400.00
Time to replace a 50 cent hydro seal under the cab= 6 Hours!!
Activated charcoal Cab filter=$175.00
Time to replace upper throttle control shaft roll pin= 12 Hours.

Then again watching a whole nest full of Pissed off Yellow jackets smacking thier litle faces into the cab, while enjoying AC/DC and the Air conditioning is absolutely priceless...

Love/Hate.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

A cab would be sweet, we have a 1/4 mile long driveway that likes blowing in in the winter. But I'm sure the cab would get trashed in the bush. One of the reasons I liked this model was its rugged build and narrow foot print 66" , which allows me to get around in the woods pretty good.

how bout some pics of the splitter?
thanks,HB

Heres one from last year. I will try to remember the camera in the morning.
attachment.php

Its a Surge Master by Wallenstein (same as WX980), 31 ton, 14 second full stroke cycle time, 9 hp Honda gx motor. I am going to build a 4 way wedge for it in the future (maybe sooner than later)

Last edited:
My brother got a big snowblower for his tractor last year. PTO Driven one. He has to keep several acres of his land open all winter long so he has a place to dump the freshly processed firewood. He also plows snow for about 50 houses and several stores and churches. He lives in Central NY where he often gets 150"+ pf snow so dealing with it can be a real problem. Well problem solved with his snowblower. He says he can throw cold powerdery snow over 150' and wet stuff a solid 50' with no problem. He says it is pretty impressive to take snow that has piled up in someone's front yard and throw it into the back yard over the house. :laugh:

A cab would be sweet, we have a 1/4 mile long driveway that likes blowing in in the winter. But I'm sure the cab would get trashed in the bush. One of the reasons I liked this model was its rugged build and narrow foot print 66" , which allows me to get around in the woods pretty good.

You got the right idea about the cab. Back when I cut on a managed forest/kid's camp in CNY there were other firewood warriers on the land with tractors with cabs. They did not last long before the window were cracked and a post or two was bent.

A suggestion would be to get a set of tire chains for the back. They can help keep the tires in good shape from being chewed down when pulling stuff over stumps and brush. Those stumps can really wear down the rubber pretty fast. That is one of the reasons log skidders so often have tire chains on them. Chains can also really help in the snow, especially on paths where you have skidded for a few days and the packed snow refreezes. Those places can get pretty slick.

I never took the chains off my old 9N and I even used them a few times to get unstuck. I would just hook a chain onto a tree and onto the tire chain and nudge forward. Something always moved.

Thanks for the tire chain suggestion, I will look into them. I searched around on the net for foresty tires before I bought the tractor but couldnt find anything in the right size. Tires are expensive so anything I can do to make them last longer is worth checking into.

Thanks for the tire chain suggestion, I will look into them. I searched around on the net for foresty tires before I bought the tractor but couldnt find anything in the right size. Tires are expensive so anything I can do to make them last longer is worth checking into.

Just for giggles here is a brand I have seen used on Skidders. Warning, do not get your toes caught under a tire with these on.

http://www.americanchains.com/

I have the straight across style chains for my tractors. They work well enough for me, but I'm told the diamond pattern chains are the way to go, but more expensive.

At the rate I use them (havent needed them in 2+ years), I'll never wear out the ones I have now.

One note if you add chains, you will want to move your fenders in (if possible) or set your tires out wider, or keep it s-l-o-w. At or above about 5mph, chains will start to fling up off the tire and will fix that shiny paint in a hurry!

Doublestuddeddiamondchain.jpg

We had xtra studs added to the links that stand on edge because those arethe ones that get the wear and fail 1st.
Ken

I had semi-cheap double ring tires chains that I ordered through Tractor Supply back in the mid 1970s. They worked well and showed no signs of wear after many, many years of use. As Skidsteer.ca showed, tire chains can extend the life of tires long after they are worn. You will notice the tires in his pictures have not much tread left at all.

Check out what they do with loaders in quarries. I saw one of these back in the 1970s in Jamesville Quarry in NY and there was no part of the tires showing through the chains. Here is a representative photo harvested off the web. Now that is what I call tire chains!

125724.jpg

Turkeyslayer, nice machine you have yourself there. Looks like it will do the job easy. That Wallenstien is also the way to go.
As was mentioned by Curlycherry, chain those tires in the winter and you will have summer-like traction. The ones from American Chain are an example of the kind to get. Pay the initial high cost for a quality set and you won't regret it later.
Wow your chessie looks nice. Does she go with you to the woodlot? Mine likes the small pieces of wood I throw for her when I stop to pile slash.

Got some rep. coming your way, I owe you some. Just hanging around waiting to fire the stove and then we gotta go and get some wood on the ground. This is some good cutting weather.

Heres a few pics from this morning. My cutting partner Cola, splitter (which I washed after I returned to the house) and wagon I use behind the winch.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice looking setup you have there Turkeyslayer. I think you will never have a proublem with going with a Farm tractor instead of the smaller Compact tractors. Compacts are just not built like that Massey. I have a Massey Harris 50 which is a distant cousin to the tractor you have there, similar in width but yours is longer in length. And yours is a 4X4 big plus. I just wish 4X4 were more popular 40 -50 years ago.

Keep us posted on the use of your tractor over the winter time. That is the same model that I was panning on up grading to.:clap:

Beefie.

Back