New Tractor and Winch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking setup you have there Turkeyslayer. I think you will never have a proublem with going with a Farm tractor instead of the smaller Compact tractors. Compacts are just not built like that Massey. I have a Massey Harris 50 which is a distant cousin to the tractor you have there, similar in width but yours is longer in length. And yours is a 4X4 big plus. I just wish 4X4 were more popular 40 -50 years ago.

Keep us posted on the use of your tractor over the winter time. That is the same model that I was panning on up grading to.:clap:

Beefie.

I will definately keep you posted. I had looked at some compacts, and they just didnt seem as ruggedly built imo, and the price was about the same. Ground clearance was also an issue on many of the compacts I looked at. This tractor is supposed to be able to pull a 10' disk, or 3 bottom plow without issue. I was originally looking at the 2605 (39hp) but the lack of a diff. lock kind of turned me away.

It sure is nice to have A diff lock. I was driving a big JD tractor wth duals and no 4X4 pulling a big grain cart with corn. Going from the combines to the semi trailers , lets just say the feilds were not dry, If I wouldn't of hade the diff lock I would have been stuck for sure. Definitly worth the price to have it.

Beefie

Nice rig turkeyslayer! I just this year bought a 4wd tractor with fel its so nice having a decent tractor thanks for the pics!!!

Kansas

Nice, Hopefully in a year or so Ill get a nice kubota!

Turkey,
You are now locked and loaded. Good luck with that machine; and does the dog like it?

Just was looking at your tractor set-up.
The toothbar and grapple on the front bucket are great.
Allmost beats a good chainsaw.....

Blasphemy! It is the winch that beats a good chainsaw! There is nothing like watching a log way off in some heckhole of a swampy, bug infested, poision ivy ridden neverland come sliding right up to the back of the tractor that is parked in clean, dry, sunny, Nirvana. :clap:

I told this story before but my dad gave me serious grief when I bought my winch. Told me I wasted my money and I was a fool. A week or so later he stopped at the woods and he walked up to the tractor just as I was walking back from a very wet, swampy, brush infested mess to tie on a big old maple tree. As I engaged the winch you could see that tree smashing its way through the mess and when I got it to the back of the tractor and shut it down, my dad just smiled and said it was the best money I had ever spent. :)

Great pics Turkeyslayer. And I was going to ask if you had put the reciever hitch on the winch to use. Very handy feature. That tractor is 49 HP at the PTO right? By the way, how do the tires handle slick muddy conditions? Even though they are AG's they look like they are some real diggers.

Nice setup. I have been looking for a used Farmi for my tractor. I missed one on for $1500 a month ago. Once we relocate to a home with more land I will get one. It is next on the "want" list.

Nice setup TS - One thing you might want to add is some protection for your valve stems. I know a guy that sheared one off in the woods, it wasn't fun.

I was thinking I should have had a chunk of pipe with a cap welded on the rim before I had the tires loaded. I have seen that on skidders before.

Turkey,
You are now locked and loaded. Good luck with that machine; and does the dog like it?

The dog loves it! She still has alot of pup left in her, and loves barking at the tractor for the first 100' of any trip we take to the bush. Same deal with the quad, every time I start it she thinks she going for a tour to the woods.

Great pics Turkeyslayer. And I was going to ask if you had put the reciever hitch on the winch to use. Very handy feature. That tractor is 49 HP at the PTO right? By the way, how do the tires handle slick muddy conditions? Even though they are AG's they look like they are some real diggers.

The hitch comes with the winch, it is a pin type hitch, and is held on the blade with two removable pins.
The tractor is 40 pto hp. And the tires seem to work well, but it could be the 4wd. This is the first tractor if worked with that has 4wd. The back of our farm is clay and has been plowed. I was pulling a full wagon (1 full cord) of ash out. Had it in 4wd with the diff lock engaged and barely made it through, the winch was all the way up and just barely out of the mud. I was thinking OH ####! this is not going to be good.

4wd is great but sometimes all it does is get you farther before getting stuck. Nice tractor by the way.

I hear u on almost getting stuck. What we need is some frost in the ground to firm things up. Then we can really get to firewood making.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Beefie

I buried a Massey 399 to the rear axle in the bush once, full load of wood in the trailer. Was one of those really warm spring days when the frost is coming out of the ground big time. Had to get through a low spot where the snow melt was running like a stream. I dumped the load, unhooked the trailer and tried pulling it from the high ground with a Massey 165. No luck. I ended up putting it in first low gear and throwing about 1/3 of a cord of my firewood in under the slowly turning wheel. The wood was sucked down into the mire and eventually found bottom and made enough traction for the tractor to ride up and out af the hole.

One big plus of the timber winch is that in the woods I can hook to a tree and winch myself out if need be.

Back