New Tractor and Winch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once you have copied the short cut, click on the 5th icon from the left at the top of the text box (it is a yellow box with what looks like mountains and a moon?) Another box will pop up that says explorer user prompt. It has a space to paste into, then hit ok. And if all went well bingo this should pop up in the text box [ IMG]-http://www.arboristsite.com /attachment.php?attachmentid=116997&d=1259977751-[/IMG]. I inserted a - in front of the http and [/IMG] so it would show up here, so you could see it. I find it helps to hit enter after each inserted pic, so they line up nice down the screen.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
turkey, sounds good. We have 3 machines and most of my inlaws ride too. Got ralatives in Beachville that ride too. We're always looking for new spots. I'm hoping to build a grapple for my Kubota this winter. I've got a quick attach from Horst on so I have different buckets already. Do you have quick attach on your's, can't tell from the pics?
Heres the thread showing my conveyor.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=71538

That conveyor looks like it works pretty slick. And yes the loader has quick attach. Look forward to seeing some pics of the grapple build. With my grapple I saved some dough by running it off the rear aux hydraulics. It means I have to use a lever next to the seat, but no big deal.

And any time you would like to go riding around this area just PM me in advance and we can set something up.

Last edited:
This mornings work

Had a few hours this morning before we go get or Christmas tree, so I pulled some ash out of the gully. First tree was just a pecker pole about 16" at the stump. Easy pull for the winch, and easy for me as I could see the tree for the whole pull.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Next was 4 trees further down the ravine, 3 where still standing and had to be cut, and 1 was on the ground all ready.
attachment.php

attachment.php

More to come......

Here is a pick of skidding the 4 trees.
attachment.php

Next was a bigger ash right at the bottom of the ravine it was 20" at the stump and paced off at 75' long, about another 15' or 20' broke off the top when it hit the ground. The tree is in the center of the pic, this is looking down from part way up the ravine.
attachment.php

The tree is in the center of the pic, this is looking down from near the top of the ravine.
attachment.php

And this is after the tree had been pulled out. No problem again for the winch, but I had to cut it in half to skid it out.
attachment.php

And here is the fruits of my labour. Only took about 3 hours and 10 or so trips up and down the gully.
attachment.php

Now off to cut the Christmas tree. More pics to come tomorrow, hopefully some grapple shots.

Boy you sure give me the itch to get a winch. It is amassing how much wood can be brought up to a landing. You must have about 2-3 cords right there alone.

Beefie

Boy you sure give me the itch to get a winch. It is amassing how much wood can be brought up to a landing. You must have about 2-3 cords right there alone.

Beefie

Yep, those trees would still be in the bottom of the gully without the winch (and would have stayed there to fall over and rot). Honestly now that I have one I don't know why I didnt get one sooner. I am suprised they are not more popular than they are.

Yep, those trees would still be in the bottom of the gully without the winch (and would have stayed there to fall over and rot). Honestly now that I have one I don't know why I didnt get one sooner. I am suprised they are not more popular than they are.

Ps- the winch alone was $3000 CAD, so it wouldnt take to much firewood to pay for itself.

Great pics Turkeyslayer. Thanks for posting. You have sold me completely on the concept of a 3 point hitch winch (as if I wasn't convinced already). Must be pretty neat to yank those logs straight out of that ravine. Those four Ash where quite a pull. One person with a tractor and winch could pull a winters' worth of firewood in three or four trips in just on short afternoon. What an impressive boost in production.

Ps- the winch alone was $3000 CAD, so it wouldnt take to much firewood to pay for itself.

Good point. And I already have a tractor. Why didn't I think of that? Only, the way I'd do it is sell 3 grand in firewood first, then get the winch. Seems kind of like an extra now as I'm doing fine without one. So, for the moment it is a want, not a need.

Good point. And I already have a tractor. Why didn't I think of that? Only, the way I'd do it is sell 3 grand in firewood first, then get the winch. Seems kind of like an extra now as I'm doing fine without one. So, for the moment it is a want, not a need.

I was doing alright without one too, but wanted to up production. The biggest thing for me was the safety aspect. Before I hated ####ing with trees that got hung up, very dangerous stuff. Now hook up the winch, be far away from the hung tree and rip her down. No worries.

LumberjkChamp;1868871Only said:
Around here I have sold well over enough to pay for the winch in the last few years. I always said I would put the money away to use towards equipment, but something always comes up and/or momma has other plans for the money. It is easier for me to make a payment than save, sad but true.

I hear you about yanking down hangers from 150+ feet away. Very handy ability to have at your disposal.
I also understand the issue of making a payment vs. saving. Its tough to save because, as you stated, something always comes up.
Been really enjoying all your pictures and would like to see some with snow on the ground when it happens for you. I thought it wouldn't for us here in central Vermont but its coming down like crazy right now.

New machine

Sure looks good! Love the grapple!
From one tractor owner to another, make sure you do the full service at 50hrs, my 50hr on my new mahindra ran almost $400 but my dealer pulled all the filters etc and changed out all the fluids. I
I have had great luck with synthetic green grease in all my fittings as well.
Good Luck!

Sure looks good! Love the grapple!
From one tractor owner to another, make sure you do the full service at 50hrs, my 50hr on my new mahindra ran almost $400 but my dealer pulled all the filters etc and changed out all the fluids. I
I have had great luck with synthetic green grease in all my fittings as well.
Good Luck!

Walt
Yes I had the full service done by the dealer at 50 hours. I figured let them do it for it is the most important service.

Turkeyslayer, have you used one of these?

http://www.labonville.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=380&idcategory=121

They're not cheap but I find I use it a lot. It keeps me from having to pull at extreme angles. Well worth the $.
Dan.

Thanks for the link! I have seen those but not locally. I may end up ordering one online. I really like the self releasing ability and the fact you can pull the butt of a hung up tree straight back without being directly behind it.

Not many pics today. I had a friend come over to help, so we finished cutting most of the cull ash trees and started on a bunch of hard maples. Being that I am in an EAB quarantine zone, I am keeping all the ash seperated from the other hardwoods.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Buck some ash

So today I went out to get the ash all bucked up. The weather started out cold and cloudy, and by mid day it was snowing. I was able to get all the ash I had pulled out to the field bucked up. I figure I did around 6 or 7 cord, and I already had 1 cord bucked off from a few days ago. The dog was loving the snow, and it was a great day to be outside.
I used the 395xp for all but the smallest logs, and man it sure makes fast work of it. Then for all the small stuff it was the 2156 that got the workout. I had the 2165 wearing oregon dp semi chisel chain for the really dirty stuff, that chain is very forgiving in the dirty wood, but just doesnt cut as fast as the lpx full chisel.
Good times!!

Here are a few pics of me moving around the one of the larger logs out there.
attachment.php

attachment.php

And a pic of the saws
attachment.php

Almost done, just have some small stuff left, time to break out the 2156.
attachment.php

And here is the dog having a good time rolling in the fresh snow.
attachment.php

A few more pics of the finished job to come.

Latest posts

Back