New trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I Know You Won't Want To Do This To A Nice New Trailer....

And i wouldn't either, but i made a couple modifications to mine that are quite handy. Sideboards are a given, but i also added to the height of the tailgate. What good is filling it as high as the sideboards if its going to bounce out the back? Best thing i did was make the gate swing-away. Fore dumping firewood, its the only way to go. I can pull the pins and still use it pickup style, hinged at the bottom. Its almost long enough to use as a ramp..... almost.

wood001.jpg

wood001-1.jpg

wood002.jpg

Pellets002.jpg

And i wouldn't either, but i made a couple modifications to mine that are quite handy. Sideboards are a given, but i also added to the height of the tailgate. What good is filling it as high as the sideboards if its going to bounce out the back? Best thing i did was make the gate swing-away. Fore dumping firewood, its the only way to go. I can pull the pins and still use it pickup style, hinged at the bottom. Its almost long enough to use as a ramp..... almost.

Nice work Ductape, very good ideas. I'm gonna file that away in my head!:clap:
Did you have a piece of wood glued in the tailgate?

Best 2 things for a used trailer IMO
-repack the bearings with a high quality marine grease
-spend the $6.99 for a quart of Rust Oleum black and paint the entire bottom to prevent corrosion(you can thin it and spray it with a primer gun)

Gotta love a dump trailer.

Mine's a 6x12 with 6k axles under it and brakes on one axle.

I put the toolbox from my old pickup on the front. Had to relocate the battery to under it (Pain if it goes dead but I can still reach it with the bed down.) and put a front crank jack on it to make room for tool box.

I sanded the bed down (inside and out) coated it all with that rust preventer paint and then painted it all back black with rattle can paint. Still have to do the frame.

Built a nice box for it to chip into. Skid steer will still fit in it with the box on. Have 7.5' ramps to get the skid steer or stump grinder on it. I added 3 d-rings to the inside to chain down machines. I actually took the sides off so I could load with my skid steer. (It only reaches 6.5' at hinge pin.)

Still want to modify the tailgate to make it swing open instead of drop/spread. Also want to put a multistage cylinder under it to make it dump higher.

2009-09-24002.jpg

2009-08-21001.jpg

2009-06-28002.jpg

2009-06-28001.jpg

2009-06-28003.jpg

2009-06-28004.jpg

Last edited:
That is a very nice firewood trailer but doesn't look built heavy enough for gravel or dirt. Looks dandy for mulch, clippings, or anything somewhat light for its volume.
I have a Moritz 6x10 with 2 6K axles empty weight 4K (Double one pictured) rated the same as the one pictured with 2 3.5K axles. Something is amiss.

Last edited:
To the OP, love the trailer! Sorry if we get A little sidetracked and debate but, that is what makes AS fun! Where else but here can a thread go from saws to global warming to dogs, geese, ex-wives, mud, glass, nuclear fusion, shoelaces soaked in bar oil, grass, cigars, ceramic tile, cows, rope, hemp, beer, lugnuts, sawdust, salamanders, Obama, Stalin, fleas, the blue stuff the barber puts the comb in, guns, toilet tissue, hair dye, snow, hunting, rats, chipmunks and back to saws, all starting with a question about the lift capacity of an aluminum floor jack? I love it here!

Ductape, thanks for the picture. I am going to have to make a swing away like that. I am thinking of making two swing away doors that way I do not have to have the space to swing the entire tailgate one way. But your hinge idea is what I needed to get my brain going on some designs. Thanks

Ductape, thanks for the picture. I am going to have to make a swing away like that. I am thinking of making two swing away doors that way I do not have to have the space to swing the entire tailgate one way. But your hinge idea is what I needed to get my brain going on some designs. Thanks

What i did was look at how a few manufacturers made their hinges, as i wanted the gate to rest as flat against the fender as possible. I gave alot of thought to cutting the gate in two, but it would have meant twice the materials, and twice the labor. You are right though..... if i get into a tight spot, sometimes i have to open the gate and then back in. Its not a big deal with firewod, but with other materials it might be. The trailer is one of those things that evolves as i use it...... next is a roller on the front for my mesh tarp. I expect that when i get the trailer right where i want it..... it'll be completely rusted out ! :bang:

Moritz impressed me when I went looking and has held up fine whether it be gravel, dirt, or whole logs. "I" beam tongue and reinforced side wall plus all seams in the entire trailer are caulked before paint. It will lift 4 tons in the bed very easily with the scissors lift. It routinely weighs 12K loaded and that doesn't seem to phase it.
322142118.jpg

359152731.jpg

359152743.jpg

is that 6 X 10 also?

Yes it is. The reason I stuck with 6x10 was 2 fold. I knew that dirt,rock,sand ect. would make that small trailer heavy and a 7x14 would take more truck than I have to pull it with that kind of stuff. Plus I had an idea I could get a smaller trailer into the woods easier for firewood duty. As it turns out I need side boards on it to get a cord on throwed in. Like I said it ain't hard to load that little 6x10 to 12K and not even be near full. Basically almost any light truck dumper has more capacity than it can hold and way more capacity than the truck can pull unless like I stated earlier you are hauling mulch, sawdust, yardwast, chips ect. Firewood put them right in the sweet spot load wise vs volume. BTW I'm positive whole logs weigh more than firewood split. I'll bet cut and split half the load pictured wouldn't fit back in. I prefer to bring them home that way so I can maximize my effort.

Latest posts

Back