new wood for me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Scrounge

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I saw this log in someones front yard with a sign free. I ran home grabbed the saw ant trailer and brought it home. I have never seen this wood ( at least not in my wood pile). very furrowed bark, wood is yellowish and has a slight pine smell. Any ideas?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

on a previous thread somone mentioned something about alder not being suited for firewood and better left to rot. i'v always liked alder and many people who buy wood from me request it. just wondering what anyone else thinks about alder.

That doesn't look like any basswood that I have cut. With that smell I would guess sassafras too. I notice the sweet smell as soon as I start cutting it. Although with those deep furrows it could be cottonwood.

Sassafrass.

I murder the stuff on sight. It's more of a pest than any insect.

The redish tinge on the cut bark gives it away like a rat turd in a sugar bowl.

The stuff burns fast and HOT. Small splits are great for getting things going.

Toss some chips into the Charcoal grill for Light/sweet smoke.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Hey guys I'm new but I gotta agree that its sassafrass I just cut 6 loads of it last Thursday and got about 9 more trees that come down in the last wind storm. Mix that sassafras with a little hickory and smoke some pork it don't get any better than that!

Latest posts

Back