new wood shed and old OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon E

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Picture of my new wood shed and my four-year-old OWB. The wood shed was built over two weekends by me, my two teenage boys and a bit of help from my brother who handled the metal roof panels. Footprint is 8' x 16' which if filled to capacity will be a touch over 6 cords. Right now there's about 1-1/2 cords in it which will easily get me through the end of the year but I have small woodpiles scattered all over the place; this was a way to consolidate a lot of my decent firewood.

That wisp of smoke coming out of the OWB is pretty typical. I try very hard to load the boiler at the high end of the burn cycle, when the water temperature is at its' highest point. That way, the wood has a few hours, sometimes all day, to "cook" and basically dry itself. When the damper opens, there isn't a lot of smoke to be seen. Probably twice to three times the visible quantity of smoke at the middle to end of the burn cycle.

Nice Shed

Nice job, I really like that shed, I've been looking for awhile, and I think I'd like to build something like that, maybe a bit bigger, I'd like to put the boiler under it also and about 8 cord.

Last edited:
Looks good. Is that black at the bottom of your CB from the water draining out of the water level tube by any chance? I have the same unit (same color also) and wondered if draining water every day was going to leave it's mark at some point...right at about that spot on the unit...

I've got the same unit also, mine has the same stains, a bit less as mine is only a few months old, I believe it's from creasote leaking from the damper door when it's open, it falls as condensation and creasote, and leaves a stain.

How many cords can you get under it? I had a drawing just like that for me to build this spring. What is the size of the shed?? Good job looks nice

Awesome shed way better than covering a pile. I used a 12' x 21" Steel Carport from American Steel Carports. Not sure how much I will burn this year but figure I have close to 10 cord under it.(Mixed wood a lot of Boxelder or as I call it stink wood smells like burning underwear....) My first year with the CB 5036 and loving it. The stain on the bottom of the boiler and the black from the smoke above the door melts right off with that Black Streak Remover they sell at Walmart for cleaning travel trailers. Got to keep my baby clean and looking sharp ! ! !

:rock:

Twister, thanx for the lead on that RV cleaner, I will use that to get the black off. I need to change the light bulb in the front and have been dreading the thought of getting all that soot on me during the process. That black stuff under the door and on the slab is indeed, condensing creosote. It loks like crap but there's not much I can do about it. The closer I get the fire toward the front of the firebox, the less of a problem it is, but it's always a problem. I get frozen creosote stalagmites on the slab during the winter - kinda funny to see.

Crowbuster, all the wood was milled on site. I have a Woodmizer mill. The total cost for the shed was just under $300, I bought six sheets of galvalume metal roofing and a couple boxes of Timberlok lags to hold it all together. It would have been a true timberframe if I had the time to cut all the joints.

looks nice , just like the one I want to build

Agree 100 % I could probably talk the wife into that !!! Sure looks nice, great job... Can you post your plans, material, etc. ?

attachment.php

Twister, thanx for the lead on that RV cleaner, I will use that to get the black off. I need to change the light bulb in the front and have been dreading the thought of getting all that soot on me during the process. That black stuff under the door and on the slab is indeed, condensing creosote. It loks like crap but there's not much I can do about it. The closer I get the fire toward the front of the firebox, the less of a problem it is, but it's always a problem. I get frozen creosote stalagmites on the slab during the winter - kinda funny to see.

Crowbuster, all the wood was milled on site. I have a Woodmizer mill. The total cost for the shed was just under $300, I bought six sheets of galvalume metal roofing and a couple boxes of Timberlok lags to hold it all together. It would have been a true timberframe if I had the time to cut all the joints.

I am just learning how to use mine also. I have been raking coals towards the front and that does help. But I think the only thing that is 100% fool proof is good seasoned wood. I sure see a difference when I put in some wood that is not dried well.

The black spot cleaner removed all the gook off the boiler metal fine but that stain on the pad is another story. I clean the boiler every month with it and it only take a couple of minutes. If you stay on top of it it is simple. Got to love this forum and people sharing common interests .....

:cheers:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's a couple more pics. I didn't really have any plans except in my head. The front of the shed, from the block piers to the bottom of the rafters, is 8'. The back is 6'-6". The posts are 5x5, the girts are 4x4 and 2x4, the rafters are 2x6, all rough cut to full dimension. I lined the bottom with pallets and the sides have pallets as a temporary solution until I can put some vertical pieces directly on the frame. The whole thing is held together with 4" and 6" Timberlok lag screws. It's kind of a hack job, to me, but I'm somewhat of a perfectionist. I would have liked to build a shed around the entire wood boiler and stay out of the snow and rain while feeding the unit, but that may be a future project. So for now, the shed you see is "semi-permanent" - until I come up with plan B. I'd really like to have a second woodshed for next years "future" firewood and this one may be moved to serve that purpose someday.

Back