New Woodshed build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming together. All the 2x4s were scrounged from a locale yardsale page...paid $20 for over two dozen 12' pressure treated 2x4s, plus some 5/quarter decking, a few 4x4s and some 2x6 as well. What a steal! The posts are 3.5' landscape timbers- $3.38 from HD.

IMG_5698.JPG IMG_5699.JPG IMG_5701.JPG IMG_5702.JPG IMG_5703.JPG

Roof is just some 11/32" sheeting, stuff I had laying around. I have a few half buckets of the Thompsons Water Seal around fromt he previous owners of the home so I am going to coat it with that for now, not looking to spend a fortune. Roof support is handled by 2x4s in a 9' by 8' "square"- strong enough to support me (200lbs) so I am confident snow will not be an issue.

IMG_5706.JPG IMG_5709.JPG IMG_5710.JPG IMG_5729.JPG

All completed. I did go back and add some more slats to the pallets on the floor to keep my feet from falling through and to strengthen them. Nothing is permanent, and I expect to have to replace them after a year or two- the second set will just be built right over top. If I could do it all over again, I'd make it a hair taller at the entrance- I hit my head 6 times while working on it :confused: Just about 5"6 of clearance when you step into it.
IMG_5730.JPG

Took me just shy of two full weekends, and I have roughly $50-60 invested. I am excited to get away from multiple little piles of wood located all over the property to just one central location for all my splitting and stacking. I will still have an area in the backyard for wood 2+ years out and big round processing, but this is a short few steps from the side room of the house for loading the indoor rack during burn season, is along the driveway for easy unloading right from the truck if need be, and will get plenty of fresh airflow as well for drying.

Took me just shy of two full weekends, and I have roughly $50-60 invested. I am excited to get away from multiple little piles of wood located all over the property to just one central location for all my splitting and stacking. I will still have an area in the backyard for wood 2+ years out and big round processing, but this is a short few steps from the side room of the house for loading the indoor rack during burn season, is along the driveway for easy unloading right from the truck if need be, and will get plenty of fresh airflow as well for drying.
looks good Drew. nice job on the cheap.:rock2:

Nice job and frugal. Mine is similar floor with timber posts, sheeting and plywood for the sides. All free. Concrete pavers for the posts and rocks for the pallets
I usually stack across back to the front like the background stack and load once for the season. I would like to stack like yours but hate the cross stack at the open end, I use fir and Arbutus/Madrona and the latter does not open stack well.
After seeing your set up I may stack the same but use a vertical 2x4 or posts bolted to close the open side and remove as the stacks deplete for access and restocking(blind or T nut in the footer and header). We were overly cold here and I was restocking wet in the back to season and tossing dry in front to burn.

Thanks for posting.

Nice build on the low cost for sure. Maybe some oak pallets next time for some strength. Just a idea but nice build for sure.

Drew, plastic pallets aren't common but can be had around our parts. Keep an eye out for them and get rid of the wooden ones. Nice job and don't forget to duck!

Nice job and frugal. Mine is similar floor with timber posts, sheeting and plywood for the sides. All free. Concrete pavers for the posts and rocks for the pallets
I usually stack across back to the front like the background stack and load once for the season. I would like to stack like yours but hate the cross stack at the open end, I use fir and Arbutus/Madrona and the latter does not open stack well.
After seeing your set up I may stack the same but use a vertical 2x4 or posts bolted to close the open side and remove as the stacks deplete for access and restocking(blind or T nut in the footer and header). We were overly cold here and I was restocking wet in the back to season and tossing dry in front to burn.

Thanks for posting.

So the stacking was something I gave a great deal of thought to. Up until now, I have always stacked left to right, back to front. But what happens with that is the oldest wood ends up in the back, and the newest in the front...my stacks are usually inaccessible from the back. So I burn through the less-seasoned wood all winter, and then get to the best stuff in the spring. Additionally, if I come home with a new scrounge, it gets stacked in front of stuff that has already been drying...it never works right, so I end up with all kinds of piles in various states of seasoning, and then I forget which is which....ugh haha.

So with stacking like this, I can know that the most dry is on the left, and work towards the right. Additionally, I can backfill "green" wood as I work left to right, and if there is an overlap/leftover wood, I will easily know where it begins and ends via the gap between the left and right sides.

Nice build on the low cost for sure. Maybe some oak pallets next time for some strength. Just a idea but nice build for sure.

Would love to find some! These were about 50/50 hardwood and softwood. I got lucky and found 4 48x48 pallets that worked great for the sides, the floor is standard 40x48, and the back wall are some random ones at 37x40 that I found.

Drew, plastic pallets aren't common but can be had around our parts. Keep an eye out for them and get rid of the wooden ones. Nice job and don't forget to duck!

Those would be the hot ticket for sure! Never rot, no holes for me to fall through...and designer colors as well!:sweet:

Came out awesome and you cant beat the cost. I have been putting off building a woodshed, but It is something I want to get to this year. Seems like I will go through about 2-3 cord a year, so ill set it up to hold a year's worth, and keep my other stacks for seasoning. Hardest part for me will be finding a good spot to put it. Great job!

My seasoned wood has been getting buried in the shed as I"ve added green. Very poor set up... because I was too lazy to make end supports for the rows in the right direction. It has been several years of this.

So now I'm re-stacking wood in the shed so rotation and use will be easier going forward in the future. What a lot of extra work I made for myself.

But, now I'll be able to rotate and use the center isle for trailer storage next winter. I'd like to add sliding doors for "out of site out of mind" for the equipment, but tracks and hardware are very pricy. Maybe this Fall...

My seasoned wood has been getting buried in the shed as I"ve added green. Very poor set up... because I was too lazy to make end supports for the rows in the right direction. It has been several years of this.

So now I'm re-stacking wood in the shed so rotation and use will be easier going forward in the future. What a lot of extra work I made for myself.

But, now I'll be able to rotate and use the center isle for trailer storage next winter. I'd like to add sliding doors for "out of site out of mind" for the equipment, but tracks and hardware are very pricy. Maybe this Fall...
Just a thought on this as I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps make removeable panels on the rear or side?

By stacking left to right, its easy to get to the most-seasoned wood, which was a concern of mine @Sandhill Crane as I was experiencing the same issue you describe. Having to stack the same firewood a few times got old real fast.

@trukn2004 I estimate this will hold 5.5-6 cords. The last few winters I have gone through roughly 4-5, and they have been mild- so I am future-proofed a bit with this setup.

Latest posts

Back