Newbee questions,,,,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

refueler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello to all. Have been searching information on chainsaws and reading posts about all the different brands and such and guess what,,,,,IM STILL CONFUSED! There is just way to much information out there for a new guy to wade through so I thought I would just ask you experienced guys for some suggestions.

I need a chainsaw. What I will be doing with the chainsaw is cutting up logs that are about 12"-20" in diameter and about 18"-36" in length, into smaller bowl blanks to be used for my woodturning hobby. I am dont really want to cut down a tree. I prefer to cut up a freshly felled tree into manageble logs to take home then cut them down the middle and in then into bowl blanks.

I have only 2 days of experience with a chainsaw. I helped a freind take down 2 very large walnut trees. He has a Poulan and a Stihl MS270. He let me use the Stihl. I must say that it will probably be the last time I volunteer to help cut down anymore trees! His saw had a dull chain and was very loose and was very hard to start or keep running. That darn saw worn me plum out the first day. Still have blisters on my hand after two weeks! What a good first time experience. Anyways,,,

I am looking for advice on what to purchase? I want a solid quality saw that will cut through anything I need to cut. I will try not to fell a tree and will try to only use it for cutting up logs or cutting a tree into logs. All the logs I will be cutting up will be HARD WOODS like Walnut, Oak, Cherry, and so on. I will be cutting the logs long ways down the middle to remove the Pith section then cross cutting the halves into smaller blanks.

From what I have been reading, it sounds like a Stihl 310 or Husk 455 is what I am aiming for?

Sorry this is so long, thanks for reading

Jack

It seem s like you have answered your own question very nicely.
A 310 or 455 would suit you very well, as would a 390 or 460.

Mike

Hey Man, welcome to the site. I would go for a 029 or Ms290 if the money is there, they will do what you want to do all day long and never gripe about it. And if that is all you are going to use it for it should last as long as you do if you keep it sharp, clean and run good mix. Just my thoughts.
As bad as it hurts me to say so if you don't want to spend that kind of money a Poulan or some of the other cheap saws my serve your purpose.

Welcome to the site! I agree with smilin possum on the Ms290. My cousin has one and he loves it. I believe it has a 18" or 20" bar on it.

If money is not an issue try to buy a pro saw. They might be more expensive but for the most part with saws you get what you pay for. An MS 361 or Husqvarna 357xp would do the job you describe very well. I beleive anything bigger would be overkill and a waste of money. Only my opinion though.

It seem s like you have answered your own question very nicely.
A 310 or 455 would suit you very well, as would a 390 or 460.

Mike

There is a fella on craigslist advertising a 361 that has never been used or had gas in it. Comes with a 20" bar and chain for $350. He said his price was firm. A new 361 with a 20" bar/chain cost $619. Dont know what to look for when I am searching through the craigslist and ebay listings.....Is $350 a good deal for a "never been used" 361? And if I do get a 361, is there a list of items I need to look at or adjust before operating the saw? Or, should I take it to a Sthil dealer and have them set up the saw for first time use?

The business of it not having gas in it is somewhat unclear...

Stihl dealers are supposed to set up the saws and run them, etc, or at least take them out of a box. It has been said on AS that the saws are tuned and tested at the factories using E10 fuel, so you should be good to go.

You might want to take it to a stihl dealer and have them "tune" it or something to that effect if you dont trust your ears after reading up on it a bit.

I'd just try to get the saw to run at this guy's house before you walk off with it.

And have a dealer run the serial number to make sure it's not stolen.
There is something here that isn't passing the smell test!

A 270 with a dull sloppy chain isn't exactly a fair first impression. If your looking for a saw that wont wear you out thats exactly the saw you need. The spring anti vibe makes it smooth and easy on the hands and is light enough to use it for quite awhile until you get your chainsaw muscles built up a bit. The 310 is a very nice saw but is gonna vibrate more and will feel heavy very quickly to a beginner. Biggest thing with any saw is a sharp chain and keeping it sharp by not hitting the ground while cutting.

A 270 with a dull sloppy chain isn't exactly a fair first impression. If your looking for a saw that wont wear you out thats exactly the saw you need. The spring anti vibe makes it smooth and easy on the hands and is light enough to use it for quite awhile until you get your chainsaw muscles built up a bit. The 310 is a very nice saw but is gonna vibrate more and will feel heavy very quickly to a beginner. Biggest thing with any saw is a sharp chain and keeping it sharp by not hitting the ground while cutting.

What kind of chain should I get? I would need it to rip the log length wise and then cross cut it. All the logs will be hardwoods. Also, what is the best way to sharpen a chainsaw? Thanks.

The 310 is Stihl a good saw. If the money is right it will serve your needs. It's a tad lighter also.:chainsaw:

He wont come down on the price of $350. According to the local Stihl site you can get one for $419. I looked at the Stihl site and could not really tell the difference between a 310 and 361?

He wont come down on the price of $350. According to the local Stihl site you can get one for $419. I looked at the Stihl site and could not really tell the difference between a 310 and 361?

Huge difference in the two including price. As for your last question, have the dealer install the stihl PM chain for ya. It is a fast cutting chain that is a tad more forgiving should you nick the ground or get into dirty wood. As far as chain sharpening goes, handfiling is the cheapest way to keep your chain fresh in between grindings but is also a form that takes years of practice to perfect. The best way for a beginner is to have the dealer give you a quick demo on hand filing and then have him grind it for ya on a macine when needed.

Having a warranty, knowing that there isn't anything fishy, and developing a good relationship with a dealer is worth more than $69.00, especially for you.
I mean no offense at all, but you are obviously COMPLETELY new to chainsaws and you are going to have questions that some guy on Craigslist isn't going to want to take the time to answer. He certainly isn't going to want you to call him next month with questions whereas that is a dealers job.
My advice to you is that you find a convenient dealer and go talk to him. Watch the things going on in the showroom, note the rapport or lack of it, that they have with other customers, ask friends, neighbors or co-workers who is the most helpful and gives the best service.
Then when you find YOUR dealer, you will basically be buying a dealer and he will throw in a saw for free, if you know what I mean.

Hello to all. Have been searching information on chainsaws and reading posts about all the different brands and such and guess what,,,,,IM STILL CONFUSED! There is just way to much information out there for a new guy to wade through so I thought I would just ask you experienced guys for some suggestions.

From what I have been reading, it sounds like a Stihl 310 or Husk 455 is what I am aiming for?

Sorry this is so long, thanks for reading

Jack

That's nothing unusual, most of us here are "STILL CONFUSED!" about which saw to buy.

As you mentioned a sharp chain and well serviced chainsaw is more important than alot of WOW factor!

I believe that a 50-60cc chainsaw should be your choice. If you buy a Dolmar/Makita(5100, 510,6400 ), Husqvarna(353, 359, 346, 455), Solo(651, 656), Hitachi/Tanaka, Shindaiwa or Stihl(279, 290, 260) it doesn't really matter for your uses. You'll just have to live with it that many people will frown at your descision.

If you want the generally believed hero of the game buy Stihl but there are excellent alternatives!

in the 400$ league the Dolmar 5100 (all saws unmodified!!!) is the generally accepted king of the hill. Shindaiwa are considered to have the eternal life in them and always start on the second pull. Husqvarna is the snappy one with the outside clutch. Solo is a marginal brand of great german construction but doesn't have the following masses. Stihl is the holy brand of tools without fault which everybody knows.

good luck

Last edited:
Hello to all.

I have only 2 days of experience with a chainsaw. I helped a freind take down 2 very large walnut trees. He has a Poulan and a Stihl MS270. He let me use the Stihl. I must say that it will probably be the last time I volunteer to help cut down anymore trees! His saw had a dull chain and was very loose and was very hard to start or keep running. That darn saw worn me plum out the first day. Still have blisters on my hand after two weeks! What a good first time experience. Anyways,,,

...Jack

Was the chain mounted the right was around? ;)

Latest posts

Back