Newbie here, need advice on chainsaw selection.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I go with the Dolmar 7910 78cc saw or the Stihl ms 461 76 cc for milling.

• preferences saw cc

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • parts availability

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
So, I havn't done any milling since this last post but that's fixing to change. I have the chance to mill two 30" dia. Long Leaf Pine logs which estimate to be over 100 years old and need to mill them before they are hauled off to the dump in the next few days. First pic is of the Husky chain and the second the Woodland Pro ripping chain from Bailey's, both chain are 3/8"x .050 gauge. Just wanna know if I'm on the right track In putting enough "hook" in the chain. I also have Digital Angle Indicator that should help me finding the right depth ratio between the chisel and raker. I'll be using the Granberg bar mounted sharpener. any and all advice is much appreciated!
Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_1372 2.jpg
    IMG_1372 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1371 2.jpg
    IMG_1371 2.jpg
    900.1 KB · Views: 28
Well, I've had my 395xp for about a month and granberg 36" mill ships tomorrow,so I'm slowing getting set up as funds allow. I'm ready to order a 36" bar and ripping chain but notice on the 36" bar the gauge jumps to .063, my 28" bar is .05o is this because the longer bar requiring heavier duty chain? Believe I'll go with the Woodlandpro ripping chain for the 36" as the specs are the same for the bar. any thoughts or sugguestions would be appreciated.
My first milling project may be a tough one. I have access to two live oak trees that have been down for about a year, diameter approx. 30"+/_,
Thanks,
When the chain comes double-check how sharp it really is.o_O Depth gauge angle needs to be determined by how it cuts with your setup. Dust means lower gauges for chips. Heavy chatter and/or bog of chain/powerhead speed touch up the cutters to raise gauges in relation to cutter height, unless the cutters are being pushed too hard/fast.
With experience you will find a harmony of sharpness, aux. oiling, speed of feed and all of it and the saw will sing with smoother faces on the planks coming out of the log.:happybanana::rock::clap: Stay safe & enjoy:hi:

Thanks Tony! I'm working on the chain tonight getting a little more "hook" in the cutter...then I'll work on the depth gauge. My last attempt with some Black Walnut produced waaaay to much dust which equaled more work,lol. I think all this info is starting to sink in but I seem to work best with trial and error. I've been following the post's from BobL and he's huge help also.

IN this image you can see
Top - Will Mallofs cutter
Middle - Mine
Bottom - Yours
Compchain.jpg
Your hook angle could be a touch greater, and clean the gullet out like mine and Will's (see curved red line on yours)

The red bar on your cutter represents a 10:1 (5.7º) raker angle which is what new stock chains have.
Remember the angle is from the cutter edge to where a straight line will just touch the top of the raker, because your raker is quite rounded that line will touch further forward on the raker as shown

Mine has a 6.5º angle because my raker top is a bit more sloped - this has a double advantage of allowing the raker to penetrate more wood.

Will's raker angle is 7.2º AND his raker is very small so it too will penetrate into the wood. Don't forget he's using and 090!

Your raker depth needs to be determined by trail and error, maybe try a more steep sided raker as well. Don't make to great a change at any one time - small steps.

Thanks Tony! I'm working on the chain tonight getting a little more "hook" in the cutter...then I'll work on the depth gauge. My last attempt with some Black Walnut produced waaaay to much dust which equaled more work,lol. I think all this info is starting to sink in but I seem to work best with trial and error. I've been following the post's from BobL and he's huge help also.
BobL shares what he has learned from those early in his milling experience, which led to his development of attempts at better ways and means. His teaching ability comes from his pre retirement work and how darned much research he has done to improve his own milling ! I would prefer to have had access to a site like this 8 years ago when I was beginning. Would have saved a large amount of wasted effort and funds. Glad I'm hear now!

Thanks BobL!! I'll work on getting a little more hook and cleaning the gullet out, (which was my next question) and raker angle will my project for tomorrow. I'll post pics tomorrow for further comment after I finish.Thanks again for the photo assistance, it's a big help.
You guys make this forum one of the best!

Before I finish filing down the rest of rakers I wanted to post this pic of the first raker I finished to make sure I'm on the right track. The raker in pic is approx. 6.0 deg. using a Digital Angle Finder. Any thoughts or sugguestions?
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1391.JPG
    IMG_1391.JPG
    600.9 KB · Views: 35
That's good to hear, thanks Bob. Im gonna go down in file size to get the hook and give that a try. This cutter has a more rounded side than my other chain, is there a reason for this? Is this preferred over the more chisled profiled cutter?

That's good to hear, thanks Bob. Im gonna go down in file size to get the hook and give that a try. This cutter has a more rounded side than my other chain, is there a reason for this? Is this preferred over the more chisled profiled cutter?
Yeah there are some that are more rounded. It doesn't make a lot of difference to performance, the more rounded ones seem to stay a bit sharper for longer.

Back