Newbie looking for some help.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SORNO

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Jonsered 49sp saw that runs great but seam to always want to cut at a slant to the right. I have replaced the sprocket bar and chain about a year ago and it helped but it has since gotten worse. Any other ideas why it always want to cut to the right?

I am looking to replace the bar and chain again because I believe this maybe the problem. I was looking for an Oregon combo 168slgk095 #105712. Can you point me to a sponsor on the site that would have this? Or maybe point me in a direction to the cheapest place to order from? I have looked locally and nobody has one on the shelf.

Welcome to the site SORNO, I do stock the Oregon 168SLGK095 bar and the 21 series Oregon chain you are looking for but is sounds like a good sharpening could help.

Scott

Welcome to the site SORNO, I do stock the Oregon 168SLGK095 bar and the 21 series Oregon chain you are looking for but is sounds like a good sharpening could help.

Scott

Thanks,

I guess I should have stated that in the original post. I have had the chain sharpened by two different people and myself and the saw will still want to cut to the right. Lets say it is a 12" log, I start cutting and right about when the top of the bar starts getting into the wood it will want to start veering off to the right and bind the saw up.

Do you have a site where I can see your prices or you could always PM me with them as well. Thanks.

Funny you brought this up. I just bought a pick-up load of saws at a small engine shop auction and there is a 49 SP in the bunch. Its all there nothing broken except for scored piston. I'm not sure about the cylinder. It does have spark. It has a like new Total Super Bar. 18'' with replaceable sproket tip.Chain was resharpened. Saw does have spark.

Also from the same place, I got a NOS Tilton Super Bar 16'' for the same saw. Part #78489. It has the replaceable sproket tip part#48001 .325 050 or 058

If interested send PM e-mail address and I can have my wife send you a picture. Make me an offer.

I'm in Brainerd, if you get up this way bring your saw along, sound's like it's a sharpening problem.

That usually means the cutters are dull on one side and not on the other or unevenly sharpened. you may want to get it shaprened at the dealer with a grinder to even it out for you or try a new chain.

Are you sure you are wearing both of your shoes?:cheers: Seriously, is there any way you could take a decent pic of the chain and post it. How about the bar, does it seem warped in any way? I would try to put on a new chain and like snowdog suggested, flip your bar upside down. I make that a fairly regular practice.

That usually means the cutters are dull on one side and not on the other or unevenly sharpened. you may want to get it sharpened at the dealer with a grinder to even it out for you or try a new chain.
I have tired this, I have two different chains for it. I have had them sharpened by two different dealers and then I tried it myself. Both chains do the same thing while cutting into the log.

Sorno, just wondering but do you flip your bar? if you don't that might be your problem.
if you flip the bar and it starts cutting left then your guild rails on your bar aren't true.

I will try this tonight. I don't make a regular habit of it thou.

Are you sure you are wearing both of your shoes?:cheers: Seriously, is there any way you could take a decent pic of the chain and post it. How about the bar, does it seem warped in any way? I would try to put on a new chain and like snowdog suggested, flip your bar upside down. I make that a fairly regular practice.
I could get a picture of it this weekend. I don't know if it would be decent or not. :( It doesn't seem like the bar is warped. I took it off and cleaned it all up and put it on a flat surface and it didn't look like there was any bow or twist to it.

Back