Newbie question-8 foot logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrm

Reaction score
Hello....new to the forum and have a question someone here can undoubtedly answer. If I have 6 cords of 8 foot logs that are cut into 14" in length and split.....how many "actual" cords once it is ranked will I have(actual or approximate).

Bottom line is that if you buy a load and the guy tells you it's 6 cord but after you cut and stack, it's 5 cord, you need more logs from the fellow...

Ian

well im sure your are going to find out when you buck and split it .I have always bucked and stacked mine till i have enough to spend a day splitting it. last year i had four cord bucked that split and stacked into about five cord....so the best advise i have is git er done and see what you have

Hello....new to the forum and have a question someone here can undoubtedly answer. If I have 6 cords of 8 foot logs that are cut into 14" in length and split.....how many "actual" cords once it is ranked will I have(actual or approximate).

:monkey: errr 6? Is this a trick question?

Thats easy...

just take 6 cords X 8' Logs X 14" = 2 different answers. 672 chords or I dont have a clue what Im talking about. Only one is right though. :monkey:

Maybe I'm the odd ball but I say you will end up with more maybe 10% more. Once it is cut and split and stacked. There is a lot of air space in between split wood, where in log form it is as tight as nature could get it. If you are getting Red Oak like I mostly get the 8 footers are stacked pretty tight on the log truck. I was going to measure it this year when I got a load of 10 cords in 8 ft log form, but I started burning some and throwing quite a bit into the basement before I had it all split and stacked to measure. If I have wood left over this year I will get a acurate measurement this spring when I get another 10 cord load delivered.

Last edited:
You will lose a little from the kerf.

Maybe I'm the odd ball but I say you will end up with more maybe 10% more. Once it is cut and split and stacked. There is a lot of air space in between split wood, where in log form it is as tight as nature could get it. If you are getting Red Oak like I mostly get the 8 footers are stacked pretty tight on the log truck. I was going to measure it this year when I got a load of 10 cords in 8 ft log form, but I started burning some and throwing quite a bit into the basement before I had it all split and stacked to measure. If I have wood left over this year I will get a acurate measurement this spring when I get another 10 cord load delivered.

I'll go with 6 cords. What gets kerfed out and splintered off in the split is more than made up in air fluff when stacked.

I cut and split all my wood in the same area, if I shoveled up all the saw dust chips and bark I bet it would only be about 3-55 gallon barrels full max., I'm betting that would just be a fraction of half a cord. By looking at my stack of wood even after I have used about 3 cords, it sure looks bigger than the stack I originally started with 10 cords in 8 foot log length. The acid test will come this spring.

As stated when you split wood it will generally grow due to the fact that you typically can not stack the wood as tight as it was in round form.

It's one of the advantages of getting your wood in round form. The disadvantage is you have to split it.

Getting it in log form adds the advantage of getting to run the saws.:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

Don

Back