Newbie question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motsky

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a friend that just got a wood buring stove and i have another friend that is about to cut down 40 trees but the trees are called tulip trees according to him. My question is if that type of tree is good for firewood ? i have already heard one guy at work say it may burn too fast ? I am getting it for free but if it not good wood then i will pass on it . any help would be greatly appreciated as to whether this wood is good for burning, what are the down sides is if any etc.

In the poplar family, I believe (and if wrong, someone will set it straight).

They'll burn but have less btu content than other species. I've burnt plenty of poplar and cottonwood. They throw off heat but don't give much for burntime.

Yes, probably "tulip poplar" not great but cuts and splits good. I would put it as a little better than silver maple and a little below Hackberry, if that is any help. If you don't have easy access to anything better, then I would go for it, I would get it soon if I was going to get for next year.

Popple

That's what we call it around here. It's actually Aspen split and dried for a year, burns like paper. Good for Spring and Fall or mix with harder wood during the cold months. Split small it makes good starter. Either way it's free,
burns and creates heat. Many a home has been heated with it over the years.

Popple is not poplar

Two different trees. Tulip poplar has a yellow/green/purple wood.Soft light and will make good floor joist., Termites won't touch the stuff.
As for firewood.. Not worth a hoot.. Too light. Not enough BTUs but it does cut and split easy.

Latest posts

Back