Newbie to running older saws, question on mix ratio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always kept a separate can for older saws. I mix 2.6 ounces of Husqvarna 2t oil with about 3/4 gallon gas. What ratio is that? I have no idea. But nothing smokes excessively or locks up. I have always said that if we had todays motor oil in the engines from the 60s and 70s, 300-500k miles would have been the norm.
Perhaps 250,000 miles lol , the High Compression engines were a grenade with a loose pin , impressive performance while they lasted . Finite life cycle of so many hours , that the engineers kept very secret .... " You Can't handle the Truth ! " Jack Nicholson @ his best !

Shell, Castrol and exxon have all made or make certified oils.
And its not a marketing ploy at all as the equipment manufacturers are the ones that request certification.
And certification has nothing to do with composition. It's performance testing.
API TC isn't in use anymore and hasn't been for decades BTW.
In many cases oils that are actually certified do not coat anything more than those that are not.
Your last sentence sums up my accertion , no label is preventing anything , its whats in the bottle that matters brother . Although coating the metal surface effectively is only part of the equation , as is the list of quality uncertified oils that meet or exceed the quality of certified oils at a much better price point lol.

FD oils don't cost anymore than FC in most cases.. FB is absolete snd no longer in use by several decades or more.
Castrol was group 3 btw and mobil was group 4/5. Neither of these facts really has any relevance to two cycle oil as the synthetic component of most modern two cycle oils is PIB, which isn't typicaly use in motor oils.
If I oil isn't certified the company is half azzed in my oppinion. Buyer beware.
I was just further elaborating on your Petro Canada vs Mobile Delvac Diesel oil litigation statement Ben which also has nothing to do with 2T oil , think outside the box youngin & try to stay on point . Castrol vs Mobile 1 was different but similar in rational , thought you would remember that case , it was big within Shell Canada Inc. brother !

Every manufacturer tests internally , the recipe dictates the end results . Boil potatoes , smash & add gravy or butter to achieve an end result of mashed potatoes with either ester based gravy or mineral based butter , its not an unknown . Same with 2T oil , add a base oil ultra refine the sulfur & wax & other hydro carbons out with high heat "cracking" & further refining aka filtering & add some "secret herbs & spices" additive packages & you have FD rated Mashed Potatoes brother ! Its a finite well known final recipe package "inhouse" This religious testing inhouse by numerous engine manufacturers using a multitude of oils inhouse , ensure that the engine engineers & manufacturers know what oil run best in engine X,Y,or Z . The Certification testing that Jaso does is a farce with antiquated 2T aircooled generator sets that are of questionable Chinaisium design . Further policy includes obsolete hot plate burn off & viscocity wheel testing perimeters . All redundant & unecessary . You use your hi priced FD labeled oil i will continue to use my Jaso uncertified Amsoil or any other quality 2T oils including Castrol Gardener or Shell - XYZ with no reservations less $$$ & with equal too or greater benefits within my engines brother ! :dancing:
What if I told you they do not do that at all.
You think a bath tub blender like Amsoil has the cheddar or expertise to test? The company I work for which is a huge company compared to Amsoil doesn't do any testing. What they do is buy an additive package from a company like Lubrizol and blend it with a specific suite of base oils which despite being an oil company, we dont make. In the case of my company they then submit the blended product to the API for testing. Of course Amsoil as an example doesn't do this.
The OEM's do test engines in load cells and such, but that's not for lubricant testing.

I was just further elaborating on your Petro Canada vs Mobile Delvac Diesel oil litigation statement Ben which also has nothing to do with 2T oil , think outside the box youngin & try to stay on point . Castrol vs Mobile 1 was different but similar in rational , thought you would remember that case , it was big within Shell Canada Inc. brother !
Castrol vs mobil had nothing to do with the API.. conspiracy theories aside.
And mentioning the above did tie in with 2t oils. Perhaps it flew over your head?

I have always kept a separate can for older saws. I mix 2.6 ounces of Husqvarna 2t oil with about 3/4 gallon gas. What ratio is that? I have no idea. But nothing smokes excessively or locks up. I have always said that if we had todays motor oil in the engines from the 60s and 70s, 300-500k miles would have been the norm.
The biggest thing that prolonged engine life was the switch to tightly controlled fuel injection. The old carb motors out so much fuel in the oil via cylinder wall washing that the engines simply wore much faster.

Castrol vs mobil had nothing to do with the API.. conspiracy theories aside.
And mentioning the above did tie in with 2t oils. Perhaps it flew over your head?
The Castrol Syntech & Mobil 1 issue I mentioned had nothing to do with synthectic 2T oils I never said it did . It was 25 + yrs ago and had everything to do with Api. Standards of automobile oil classifications & the interpretation of what constitutes a synthetic oil . It was highly political & hinged to what you previously brought up as to Highly refined mineral oil not being fully recognized by the minority as a actual base grade of synthetic oil . Api as antiquated as it may be is a guideline standard still today . Yes , it has nothing to do with 2 stroke oil that were discussing , other than defining where the definition of a mineral base stock was changed to become a actual base form of synthetic oil which is a common component of both 2 & 4 cycle synthetic oils brother !!

The biggest thing that prolonged engine life was the switch to tightly controlled fuel injection. The old carb motors out so much fuel in the oil via cylinder wall washing that the engines simply wore much faster.
All that fuel injection did was better control automobile engine emissions , & broaden the automobile manufacturing of engine carburation & flow design parameters . From the infancy throttle body injector systems to multiport or direct injection computerized fuel delivery systems of today . The high compression carburated engines of the 60 's & early 70 's properly tuned , would meet even todays stringent epa emission standards . It was not until lower compression engines & early emissions control systems came along that carburation designs became less efficient & troublesome due to inferior unleaded fuels . That combined with the reduction of lead & other fuel components further aggravated the problem . Cylinder wash did not ever enter the picture in any significant realm in a properly maintained engine Ben . I lived through the era , owned a few muscle cars during that time frame. You were not even a gleam in your fathers eye yet brother . Rather emission standards , detoriation of quality high lead & octane fuel & insurance companies , along with a lack of a more modern technology within oil refinement in general killed the life cycle of the High Compression engine brother !

My current stable is an 015, an 031AV, MS 280, MS 290, MS440 a TS400 cutoff and a Homelite 1130G which I only use for the last cut close to the ground on some really really big(to me) stuff as it has a 36sh" bar. Thinking I should never use it tho, as it has a 1/2" chain and I know those are rarer than chicken teeth.
I run 40:1 synthetic in my 1130G for years without an issue.
Decades ago Oregon made 6 spline rim drive clutch housings for the 1130G and a 8 pin .404 rim. That's how my saw is configured and it allows you to move away from the 1/2" chain. There's a set for sale on eBay right now:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1656814673...201dvugpvaiDGKya9bx1f2ErM=|tkp:Bk9SR_CdoMTyYA
An IPL for the 1130G can be viewed here:
https://www.leonschainsawpartsandrepair.com/parts-diagrams.html

The Castrol Syntech & Mobil 1 issue I mentioned had nothing to do with synthectic 2T oils I never said it did . It was 25 + yrs ago and had everything to do with Api. Standards of automobile oil classifications & the interpretation of what constitutes a synthetic oil . It was highly political & hinged to what you previously brought up as to Highly refined mineral oil not being fully recognized by the minority as a actual base grade of synthetic oil . Api as antiquated as it may be is a guideline standard still today . Yes , it has nothing to do with 2 stroke oil that were discussing , other than defining where the definition of a mineral base stock was changed to become a actual base form of synthetic oil !
No it didnt.. API doesn't care about synthetic or not. They have no synthetic classification. And why would the API get involved in a spat between two members? The API isn't antiquated either. They are the ones that continue to facilitate new oil tech being brought to market.
It was the marketing department at Mobil.

All that fuel injection did was better control automobile engine emissions , & broaden the automobile manufacturing of engine carburation & flow design parameters . From the infancy throttle body injector systems to multiport or direct injection computerized fuel delivery systems of today . The high compression carburated engines of the 60 's & early 70 's properly tuned , would meet even todays stringent epa emission standards . It was not until lower compression engines & early emissions control systems came along that carburation designs became less efficient & troublesome due to inferior unleaded fuels . That combined with the reduction of lead & other fuel components further aggravated the problem . Cylinder wash did not ever enter the picture in any significant realm in a properly maintained engine Ben . I lived through the era , owned a few muscle cars during that time frame. You were not even a gleam in your fathers eye yet brother . Rather emission standards , detoriation of quality high lead & octane fuel & insurance companies , along with a lack of a more modern technology within oil technology in general killed the life cycle of the High Compression engine brother !
You are nuts if you think a carb would meet emmissions standards especially on an old engine. In fact the MFG couldn't meet emmissions then and they certainly couldn't now.
What killed those old engines is fuel dilution of the engine oil and cylinder wall washing.

The gaskets and seals from the 50's, 60's and 70's leak using modern synthetic engine and transmission oils, it wicks through cork and rapidly breaks down the natural rubbers previously used.
Older blends of engine oil cooked off/ evaporated and broke down rapidly from the heat/fuel and lubricated poorly due less refinement and the additive packages used. To help combat this thicker grades of oil were used, it was very common to have sludge from the older oils. Constantly getting the oil topped off at fill ups was more from the oil cooking off not engine tolerances tho the tolerances quickly went out of whack once run low on oil or not changing it often.

The gaskets and seals from the 50's, 60's and 70's leak using modern synthetic engine and transmission oils, it wicks through cork and rapidly breaks down natural rubbers previously used.
That was true years ago, but nowadays seal swell additives are used with the types of synthetics that cause seal issues.
With that said I would not run a modern synthetics oil in a car from the 60's that hasn't been rebuilt. Sludge and seal issues may very well manifest themselves when that new oil starts to clean things up.

No it didnt.. API doesn't care about synthetic or not. They have no synthetic classification. And why would the API get involved in a spat between two members? The API isn't antiquated either. They are the ones that continue to facilitate new oil tech being brought to market.
It was the marketing department at Mobil.
Again , Api & specifically specifications SL / SM & most recent & current SN includes all full & blended synthetic automobile oils from 1993 to 2018 the last updated specification that includes Naturally aspirated , Turbocharged & Supercharged engine groups . They are antiquated in the fact that they do have obsolete specifications from 1903 (SA) through SB , SD...etc . I never said the Api. Initiated anything , of course Mobile did , when Castrol introduced its New Syntec oil , I already stated that , twice . I only said they were responsible for developing api. Standards & procedure specifications that would apply to Mineral oil not only PAO bases being considered as a genuine synthetic oil . It was finally decided by the National Council of the Better Business Bureau that Syntec as it was comprised then , was in fact a Synthetic oil & full filled the requirements of current Api. applicable in 1999 , Specification SL . Case closed . Have a Great Day !

You are nuts if you think a carb would meet emmissions standards especially on an old engine. In fact the MFG couldn't meet emmissions then and they certainly couldn't now.
What killed those old engines is fuel dilution of the engine oil and cylinder wall washing.
I said a new engine of 60' or 70's vintage with adequate quality fuel requirement for that engine , would meet current epa emissions criteria . I said previously it was not the engine but the dedrigation of the compression ratio , fuel , oil & add on reversed engineered "smog reduction" devices added to these series engines that put the final nail in their coffin . The same protocols that are mandating catalytic inserts within chainsaw mufflers , & lean tune carburated saws with limitor caps , restricting tuning adjustment at sea level severely . Anyhow , I'am done Cheers !

The gaskets and seals from the 50's, 60's and 70's leak using modern synthetic engine and transmission oils, it wicks through cork and rapidly breaks down the natural rubbers previously used.
Older blends of engine oil cooked off/ evaporated and broke down rapidly from the heat/fuel and lubricated poorly due less refinement and the additive packages used. To help combat this thicker grades of oil were used, it was very common to have sludge from the older oils. Constantly getting the oil topped off at fill ups was more from the oil cooking off not engine tolerances tho the tolerances quickly went out of whack once run low on oil or not changing it often.
I once put all new gaskets in a 300 Ford. Not a rebuild, just new gaskets and seals. Truck had close to 300k and the engine had never been touched . I scraped about 16 tons of old Quaker State out of the oil pan , lifter gallery, and valve covers. I took a chance after that and used Castrol full synthetic . The new Fel-Pro gaskets held up to the full syn oil and after about 6000 miles the oil still looked new. Sold that old truck soon after, but I bet it is still running strong somewhere. I believe the new 2t synthetic oil, no matter the brand to be far superior to Homelite 32:1 that I ran years ago. Also looks like the synthetic takes to mixing with gas much better than the old oils.

Again , Api & specifically specifications SL / SM & most recent & current SN includes all full & blended synthetic automobile oils from 1993 to 2018 the last updated specification that includes Naturally aspirated , Turbocharged & Supercharged engine groups . They are antiquated in the fact that they do have obsolete specifications from 1903 (SA) through SB , SD...etc . I never said the Api. Initiated anything , of course Mobile did , when Castrol introduced its New Syntec oil , I already stated that , twice . I only said they were responsible for developing api. Standards & procedure specifications that would apply to Mineral oil not only PAO bases being considered as a genuine synthetic oil . It was finally decided by the National Council of the Better Business Bureau that Syntec as it was comprised then , was in fact a Synthetic oil & full filled the requirements of current Api. applicable in 1999 , Specification SL . Case closed . Have a Great Day !
Again, the API does not say oils that meet SN must be partial or full synthetics. In fact some are not...
Those specifications you mentioned are obsolete and have been superceded. This does not make the API antiquated like YOU said.
You have a MINIMAL grasp of this subject.
And yes the complaint was filled with the BBB. Specifically the National Advertising Division of the BBB. The API had zero to do with it. ZERO! And the API doesn't require an oil be synthetic for any of their standards.

I said a new engine of 60' or 70's vintage with adequate quality fuel requirement for that engine , would meet current epa emissions criteria . I said previously it was not the engine but the dedrigation of the compression ratio , fuel , oil & add on reversed engineered "smog reduction" devices added to these series engines that put the final nail in their coffin . The same protocols that are mandating catalytic inserts within chainsaw mufflers , & lean tune carburated saws with limitor caps , restricting tuning adjustment at sea level severely . Anyhow , I'am done Cheers !
Again... those old engines would not meet modern standards with a carb as YOU suggested and in fact didn't meet the standards of the MID 70's.

Latest posts

Back