Newbie with two big cherry trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice lostinthewoods. Nothing like a pile of fresh bandsawn cherry wood all trimmed up and edged ready to sticker. That nice light pink will turn darker as it dries and eventually will be an almost maroon color on the outside of those boards. Did you ever figure out exactly how many board foot of lumber it came to?

few more pics of the stuff and mildew

Here are some more pics of the haul stickered in my garage (VW in there for oldsaw). Appreciate any comments on my newbie stickering technique that are possible. Basically the stickers are cut out of Bruce wood flooring that I salvaged out of the dumpster from some of the recent construction in the neighborhood. Most are 5"-6" long and all are like 3/4" thick, 3/4"-1" wide.

Also, please take a look at some of the mold/mildew pics. These were on the one board that was laying directly on the garage concrete floor before I had gotton to stickering. Was laying there about three weeks. Thoughts? Will this stuff just be planed off?

Very nice hunks of tree flesh :D Yes the mold/mildew should plane off I can't see it staining too deeply if only there a short time as cherry fairly dense stuff imo, have fun with that fine lumber ya did great!

:cheers:

LostInTheWoods said:
Here are some more pics of the haul stickered in my garage (VW in there for oldsaw). Appreciate any comments on my newbie stickering technique that are possible. Basically the stickers are cut out of Bruce wood flooring that I salvaged out of the dumpster from some of the recent construction in the neighborhood. Most are 5"-6" long and all are like 3/4" thick, 3/4"-1" wide.

Also, please take a look at some of the mold/mildew pics. These were on the one board that was laying directly on the garage concrete floor before I had gotton to stickering. Was laying there about three weeks. Thoughts? Will this stuff just be planed off?

I was thinking that the mold/mildew might have jumped ship from the moist concrete onto a moist, nutrient rich source like the wood. I suspect you'll get a fair bit of stain where those concrete edging blocks are positioned directly on your wood. Just my .02. I'm really a little jealous. I still haven't gotten my cherry logs out of the woods yet. Felled a 24 incher the day before thanksgiving; I'm planning on pulling them out next weekend sometime. Here's a pic of the tree before felling, and of the cut logs:(sorry for the pic size---I don't have time to downsize right now)

I also included a pic showing where someone cut down & helped themselves to the other fork of the tree: there's a big missing section from the tree, which would've been the only straight section in the tree. :angry: :angry: :angry: :chainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

Looks like you've got some nice connections going!!!! Hook me up if there are any my way, will 'ya? :lol:

I've used a 10% bleach to water solution in a spray bottle to remove the mold from the top. You might try something like that or even using a rag with the solution. I did it on yellow pine with good results. I soaked it but you may try a small area in case wood type makes a difference in effectiveness.

Tom

Back