Newer battery powered saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alabama xl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My boss asked my the other day about recommending a chainsaw for general yard cleanup, and I told him to get something battery powered. I was at his house cleaning the carb on one of his lawnmowers, and figured as often as he might need it, a battery powered saw would probably be a better bet for him, especially if he got a string trimmer from the same OPE family. I’ve got an EGO trimmer that I like a lot, and have heard good things about their saw for what it is. Then today I stumbled onto the greenworks 80V tools. I’ve got a friend who has one of their string trimmers also, and seems happy with it.

Any thoughts on the viability of current battery powered saw options, and what saw might be worth it for a guy cutting maybe 4-6” branches and deadfall? He calls me and a friend of mine when he needs something bigger done, so he doesn’t need anything that can fell a good sized tree. I was going to recommend he get something like a husqvarna 435 (as I’ve got one that has been very good to me for limbing and small work), but I don’t see him doing smart things with that, and I don’t want to clean carbs for him ever few month if he uses bad gas.

For what you describe, any of the name brand battery saws should work. Look at the whole family of tools supported by that battery platform, and maybe choose by the compatible tools he might also use (string trimmer, hedge trimmer, leaf blower, pole saw, lawn mower, etc ).

Philbert

Love my 80v Kobalt/rebadged Greenworks stuff. For most homeowner needs, we've surpassed gas powered equipment. Something with a carb to care about would be a downgrade.

If your boss has Dewalt/Milwaukee/Makita/etc power tool brand, and therefor batteries and chargers for said brand, that company probably already makes a chainsaw. Just get that one.

I have not hefted a battery saw yet that feels remotely good In the hands. I picked up a Milwaukee yesterday. It felt just as crappy as the Echo and the green ones that I have picked up.

that being said, the one that I cut with (a green one?-forget the brand) actually cut OK, but again, was weird to handle.

I have not hefted a battery saw yet that feels remotely good In the hand.
The batteries are heavy, so it is a design challenge to find a place where they balance, and are easy to install and remove. If the battery material is built in to the tool, then there are a lot more possibilities: they don't have to conform to an essentially rectangular shape. But a replaceable battery is a very important criteria for these tools, IMO.

Some are awkwardly balanced; the STIHL, Husqvarna, Redback, Oregon ones felt OK to me. ECHO and Greenworks I have only picked up in the stores and seemed OK. Might be different in use.

Philert

I thought the Echo one felt quite heavy and awkward

i think it was a greenworks one that I ran? Anyway, it cut ok and actually felt better than the Echo by far. I've never even held the Stihl or Huskies.

the milwaukee i held yesterday didn't have a battery in it (probably a good thing as it was laying on a shelf). It felt awkward; the battery may have helped, but I didn't like the forward handle at all.

they will get better over time I'm sure.

My Kobalt has the battery right where the engine would normally be. Balances pretty naturally with the battery in, feels weird without it.

For a homeowner occasionally cutting a few 4-6" limbs and who doesn't have experience with other saws, how it "feels" is probably one of the least important things to worry about. It's all going to feel weird to them.

Here are the 3 makita battery saws I have. Note these are not a useful tool with temperature in the 100 degree F range, at least the main one the xcu02 the one with no bar. If the budget is sufficient for Husqvarna that would be better.

The far one i believe xcu06 is actually quite nice but not for the 4 to 6 inch stuff requested in post 1.
The middle one is a brush motor reduction gear type and the safety system is like a battery circular saw, push in on button and pull the trigger, no operator present lever. Really clumbsy handling imo but no circuit breaker or on switch to deal with.
The one with no bar is actually pretty useful but not in the heat of now. Unfortunately I found myself holding in the operator present lever so as not to t need turn it on mega times and decided that bypassing such device with white tape was better than walking with operator present lever held. It is often possible to get this one with 4 batteries in the $400 range. 9 tooth 1/4 pitch sprocket available for near and far one. Reduction gear one has a larger bore for sprocket.3 makita battery chainsaws..jpg

I doubt they would work in the cold either.
I have used mine down to 20°F with a little preparation and forethought.

- I keep things inside until ready to use, or in the heated cab of my car (no gasoline to worry about);
- I carry the batteries in a small, insulated beverage 'cooler' to keep them warm;
- Once the batteries start work they generate their own heat - note that many are now used for ice fishing augers too!
- The biggest issue has been the bar oil: there is no combustion to heat / thin it. So I thin the oil up to 25% with clean kerosene, and keep the saw and oil jug warm until used.
- Same things apply to corded, electric saws.
- *Do not attempt to charge a frozen Li-Ion battery, according to manufacturers' instructions - this can damage its charge holding ability for some reason. Bring it inside and let it warm up before placing on a charger. Again, frozen, not just cold.

Philbert

I believe the chargers I have are smart enough to do the right thing if the battery or the cells in it are cold or COLD. No special experience with COLD and not sure I ever used the Husky charger in a cold environment. The Makita one doesn't behave "normally" when a cold battery is put on it but come morning it is charged up. This being in unheated but I doubt much below 30 F.

My old boss bought Millwaukee saws for each work truck awhile back... I have only used it once just to try it for myself, but it cut fairly well.
Better/ faster cutting than my 240 husky or the 211 stihls we had before it ever did. none of the stihls got maintained properly & they all had carb issues due to the attitudes towards company tools by the guys who drove the trucks so there's that.
My 240 was an absolute turd. No power at all, & very hard to tune right...
I have Milwaukee cordless tools & They work just fine until it gets to about -10*f.
Below that in temp the battery becomes just another fragile brick.
Most of my better gas powered saws don't flinch until it gets way colder than that... coldest I've run any of my gas saws is my 661, at -55*f in MN and it was fine. however I was far colder than I would like.

That's not cold. I should have said COLD!..
Oh, 'Al-burrrrr-ta' cold!
Yeah, every saw is not going to fill every niche, but a lot of users don't go out cutting when it gets below freezing (°F or °C), and appreciate the convenience when they do cut.

I believe the chargers I have are smart enough to do the right thing if the battery or the cells in it are cold or COLD.
I don't know the technical part, but I have seen this several places, so I follow it. Not hard. Don't want to shorten the life or capacity of these batteries.

My old boss bought Millwaukee saws for each work truck awhile back...
Guys who are invested in the Milwaukee battery platform have positive things to say about it, except that it feels 'kind of heavy'. If I already had the batteries, and planned on occasional use, I would start with the compatible saw (Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita, etc.). For a first choice, or for heavier use, I would try to try as many as I could, and keep an eye out for what else those batteries run (STIHL, Husqvarna, Oregon, Greenworks, Kobalt, ECHO, EFO, etc.).

Philbert

I like the husqvarna 120i battery saw. Only drawback to battery so far is it won't charge until it cools down after cutting. The more expensive charge may cut down the cool off time. I only have the stand alone plug one.

Back