Next gear addition. Pantin, rings or wrench.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zapblam

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking at adding to my work gear this season. Been hip or footlocking up a drt setup. Been thinking of a pantin to be a little lazy on ascending. And just to have for when srt is allowed on work climbs.

Also for home personal I need friction saver and/or rope wrench. Cant use wrench on job though until its approved.

I am just part time work climber when they let me play in the trees or need an extra in the tree. Fair bit actually.

So affording only 1 addition right now:

1) pantin or
2) ring FS for home or
3) a rope wrench (mk1 is cheap right now)

(last season was upgrade tail blakes to e2e/pulley and biners ) getting there one part at a time.

Looking at adding to my work gear this season. Been hip or footlocking up a drt setup. Been thinking of a pantin to be a little lazy on ascending. And just to have for when srt is allowed on work climbs.

Also for home personal I need friction saver and/or rope wrench. Cant use wrench on job though until its approved.

I am just part time work climber when they let me play in the trees or need an extra in the tree. Fair bit actually.

So affording only 1 addition right now:

1) pantin or
2) ring FS for home or
3) a rope wrench (mk1 is cheap right now)

(last season was upgrade tail blakes to e2e/pulley and biners ) getting there one part at a time.

Well its hard to give you an answer we have no idea what style of climbing you do, SRD DRT. How much and what gear you have now. But with what little information you gave I would go with the friction saver if you dont have one now. Not only will it save your ropes but it will greatly increase your options when it comes to TIP and cut down on work a bit if your climbing DRT.

...... Been hip or footlocking up a drt setup. ......... for when srt is allowed on work climbs.
(last season was upgrade tail blakes to e2e/pulley and biners ) ....
So sounds like you have experience DdRT footlocking with a Blakes hitch and are starting to get into e2e with a pulley and SRT.

I would go with the ZR-1, as you mentioned it is discounted now. This will give you a great push into the SRT world and expand on the familiarity you have been getting dealing with e2e and different hitches.
The Pantin will just make life easier but won't really teach you much, the ring to ring friction saver won't do much either, if as you say' you want to SRT when it is allowed. (unless you are planing SRT redirects with a canopy anchor) Besides the fact that if you are hip thrusting and fool locking DdRT you probably already use some kind of cambium/friction saver.
Dollar for dollar, I think you would benefit the most from the wrench. Enjoy.

Richard

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back