Next saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic977

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Morning everybody

I am in the market for anther saw - need a backup. I am currently running an MS361 love it. I have never played with the Husky's or Dolamrs, always had Stihl equipment for everything. MY 14 yo wants to get into the wood biz a bit, so I am unsure of weither to get a bigger saw - which my 18" runs great and cuts as well as it runs, but I run the processor with 404 and would like the ability to worry about 1 file etc. I have some really big stuff on the property, and some of the material that I have on site that came from the logger is not only not going to fit in the processor, but I would have to use one of my machines to rotate it just to get it bucked up to go to the Tw-5. I am a fan of only buying once, and understand you get what you pay for, so hence the reason I am asking the pro's.

Thanks alot

Start the kid out right and get him a 5100, and then for the big stuff get yourself a 7900. That way your all set for the 3 saw plan.:clap: :chainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

i say 660 for you and 5100 for him. but i would have him pulling brush and helping stack to "pay" for it. so he feels that he earned it and will take care of it. Get the boy started right.

HE doesn't hesitate either. I was out in the back yard splitting a maple I had taken down - what a disaster, 77 yo spider man went up her, but any how, he heard me fire that splitter up and he came running out. Great kid!! On our lot, we load the processor with one of the machines either the excavator or skidsteer, he jumps right in. The end of the day the processor gets blown off and raked out from under the splitter and conveyor, jumps right in there to. I actually let him stay up there when I made a delivery yesterday, by the time I got back, looking at the processor, you couldn't tell I even used it. I am trely lucky and blessed to have him!!! Not only is he my son, but basically my best friend.

I will say this, if all you've had are Stihls, then stick with what works. Let the young man run the 361 it'll be a great production saw for him. I recommend a 460 for you. It's enough for the big stuff you get and not to big to use all around. This will give you a dandy pair of saws and keep all your needs at one saw shop.

Last edited:
I will say this, if all you've had are Stihls, then stick with what works. Let the young man run the 361 it'll be a great production saw for him. I recommend a 460 for you. It's enough for the big stuff you get and not to big to use all around. This will give you a dandy pair of saws and keep all your needs at one saw shop.

Good advice even though I'm a Dolmar guy.:cheers: As far as the 404 single sharpening plan you'd probably be able convert the 460 (and above) over but nothing smaller. Good Luck :cheers:

I bought that 7900, and yes they most certainly do perform if this one is an example, what a monster, the maple I mentioned was 7', I had to finish taking her down with the truck and chains, just could not reach through it, even squaring it off.

Where did you buy the Dolmar? I know there's a dealer up in Greenwich - The Cutting Edge who's happen's to be one of the website sponsors - but that's a pretty long drive. I'd probably buy from him but would like to look at one first. Anything closer to Albany?

I bought that 7900, and yes they most certainly do perform if this one is an example, what a monster, the maple I mentioned was 7', I had to finish taking her down with the truck and chains, just could not reach through it, even squaring it off.

Congrats on the new saw. That 7900 is the first saw I pick up whenever I'm cutting wood.

That is where I got her up to the cutting edge, there is a dealer in Clifton Park, but I don;t know anything about them.. I dealt with Scott and Steve back in the summer when I bought my tw5 as they are also a timberwolf dealer and they were not only patient as I scrutinize every piece of equipment I buy for and compare this to that etc, but very knowledgeable, played dumb when ihad the answers from previous experience. When I got all the recommendations from guys here on the dolmar, I search the website (dolmar's) and straight up to the cutting edge I went.

It is a hel of a ride for me to, just outside of Troy, but I am all about integrity and loyalty is one of my qualities. They treated me well when I bought the tw, and I have no reason that they wouldn't be there should something happen with the 7900.

Latest posts

Back